Affordable Care Act Scare!

Options

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just did the same survey and for my family of 6 premiums would be 9,500 a year. Which is comparable to what we are paying now with a employment plan. It's actually less when you factor in the portion our employer pays. ( and we don't have that great of a plan) So how are you paying more for an individual plan?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've been paying $4000 for a family of four for 6yrs now. Nothing has changed yet. Still paying that much now. Apparenlty my insurance give you a flat rate if its 3+ people on the plan. I'm still going to be paying $4000 when my eledest daughter is no longer eligible next yr.

Wow you pay almost $50K a year in insurance alone
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You earn almost $100,000 a year before tax? I wish I earned half of that.

wish in one hand....
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Kaiser is fear mongering. You do not have to use the government plan to be covered. You can use any plan you choose, including the one you're already on. Kaiser didn't even have the decency to site their sources. Their metrics are unverifiable.

If your current insurance company is planning on bumping your coverage costs to these astronomical levels, you need to switch your coverage. Do some health insurance shopping. Maybe you can group up with other small businesses and get a group rate.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Pulled this from the Kaiser site:

· Premiums for health insurance bought through Exchanges would vary by age. The Congressional Budget
    Office estimates that the national average annual premium in an Exchange in 2016 would be $4,500-5,000
    for an individual and $12,000-12,500 for a family for Bronze coverage (the lowest of the four tiers of
    coverage that will be available).
    · In 2012 employees paid $951 on average towards the cost of individual coverage in an employer plan and
    $4,316 for a family of four.

Right now, if I was on MY health insurance plan (I'm not, I went part time) my family health insurance plan would cost $25K a year (the company share), and I would contribute around $2000 a year.

On my husbands insurance, our share of the family plan is 12K a year, and they've already WARNED/PROMISED it is going to go up monthly by $$ AGAIN for the next two years. And it's already about 20% of his income. Which is crazy. And NOT affordable. And why I'm going back to full time next year, lol!
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I just did the same survey and for my family of 6 premiums would be 9,500 a year. Which is comparable to what we are paying now with a employment plan. It's actually less when you factor in the portion our employer pays. ( and we don't have that great of a plan) So how are you paying more for an individual plan?

I wonder did it include subsidies in your calculation? I thought it was a little high,and maybe it was a gross over estimate. I hope so.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/23/news/economy/obamacare-subsidies/index.html

Families USA crunched the numbers for a few different scenarios. By its estimates, a family of four earning $94,200 and purchasing a silver-level plan carrying a $12,500 annual premium will get a subsidy worth $3,550, which limits the cost of the premium to 9.5% of the family's income.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than how it has been. Today if you choose not to buy any insurance, even catastrophic that just costs pennies a month (say with a 50K deductible) my hospital has to treat you when you show up in our Emergency department after being hit by a hit and run driver. Poor, unemployed, impoverished generally qualify for state or federal aid (medicaid) but the uninsured middle class don't so the hospitals do what they can to collect. Some will go after your home, but most non-profits don't and they force the rest of us to pay.

Ask if my premiums are going up with Obama Care? I don't know but I can promise you they will ONLY go up without it.

If you don't want insurance that's fine - but please get a large tattoo that tells us we don't have to treat you, your child or anyone one else who just assumes nothing bad will ever happen to them. I know I sound mean, but we all want to blame big government or poor/irresponsible indigents - it's the middle-class uninsured that's breaking this system. I'll take medicare insurance any day of the week over the cost of private insurance. I'll wait a year to get a knee replaced if' it's FREE, or wait a few months for my routine mammogram. Non profit hospitals give out billions of dollars of charity care - is it magic money? No, it comes from you and me though taxes or premiums. And the billions of dollars of charity care does NOT cover all that have needs. Next time a hospital tells you about all the lives they've saved, ask them how many patients they've turned away due to lack of funds. Ask them how many terminal children only get palliative care because there's no funding for treatable disease. It's horrific that it happens here in the United States and nobody cares - we just want cheap care for ourselves, and we'll tell ourselves that "those other people deserve no treatment" or "a charity will take care of them" nope. Doesn't work that way. Getting charity care is a lottery.

Sorry - I just get really fed up. People will spend hours HOURS online trashing ANY plan to solve healthcare and hardly ANY of them have actually read this plan, or the one from ten years ago, or the Clinton plan. ANY of the plans put forward would be better than the status quo.
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options
    Recently changed from small compay to a larger company due to the fact that my annual premium (for sh$t coverage) was over 12k. It's frigging stupid.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than how it has been. Today if you choose not to buy any insurance, even catastrophic that just costs pennies a month (say with a 50K deductible) my hospital has to treat you when you show up in our Emergency department after being hit by a hit and run driver. Poor, unemployed, impoverished generally qualify for state or federal aid (medicaid) but the uninsured middle class don't so the hospitals do what they can to collect. Some will go after your home, but most non-profits don't and they force the rest of us to pay.

Ask if my premiums are going up with Obama Care? I don't know but I can promise you they will ONLY go up without it.

If you don't want insurance that's fine - but please get a large tattoo that tells us we don't have to treat you, your child or anyone one else who just assumes nothing bad will ever happen to them. I know I sound mean, but we all want to blame big government or poor/irresponsible indigents - it's the middle-class uninsured that's breaking this system. I'll take medicare insurance any day of the week over the cost of private insurance. I'll wait a year to get a knee replaced if' it's FREE, or wait a few months for my routine mammogram. Non profit hospitals give out billions of dollars of charity care - is it magic money? No, it comes from you and me though taxes or premiums. And the billions of dollars of charity care does NOT cover all that have needs. Next time a hospital tells you about all the lives they've saved, ask them how many patients they've turned away due to lack of funds. Ask them how many terminal children only get palliative care because there's no funding for treatable disease. It's horrific that it happens here in the United States and nobody cares - we just want cheap care for ourselves, and we'll tell ourselves that "those other people deserve no treatment" or "a charity will take care of them" nope. Doesn't work that way. Getting charity care is a lottery.

Sorry - I just get really fed up. People will spend hours HOURS online trashing ANY plan to solve healthcare and hardly ANY of them have actually read this plan, or the one from ten years ago, or the Clinton plan. ANY of the plans put forward would be better than the status quo.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
    People, in general, fear what they don't know. A lot of people don't understand the system, the inherent problems, or how to go about fixing them. Taking a survey qualifies them to trash the plan they don't understand.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

QFT. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options

Pure BS
  • KatLifter
    Options

Pure BS

Explain how, at least half as clearly and respectfully as HonestOmnivore has. I'm happy to listen. But just saying something is "BS" is not an argument.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Pure BS
    k9urs_zpse1746d53.gif
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Resolved with indentured servitude!
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Put on by kaiser foundation calculates if you qualify for subsidies

Kaiser is aweful. I'm surprised they're still in business.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I am a small business owner and I pay (so far) 100% of my employees insurance. I have been with the same carrier for 10 years. In January when I was up for renewal my rates went up 44%. Their reason was "this is the last year" that we can raise rates before the mandates kick in.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Put on by kaiser foundation calculates if you qualify for subsidies

Kaiser is aweful. I'm surprised they're still in business.

They are a heck of a lot better than Anthem or Blue Cross Blue Shield where I am.

If you are terminally ill or need experimental treatment, they are a total death camp, but if you just need basic preventive health care they are above and beyond the best I have dealt with. They also are one of the only local hospitals that are up to code.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Kaiser is fear mongering. You do not have to use the government plan to be covered. You can use any plan you choose, including the one you're already on. Kaiser didn't even have the decency to site their sources. Their metrics are unverifiable.

If your current insurance company is planning on bumping your coverage costs to these astronomical levels, you need to switch your coverage. Do some health insurance shopping. Maybe you can group up with other small businesses and get a group rate.

I'm not sure how reliable the source is

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/03/news/economy/health-insurance-exchanges/index.html?iid=EL

Just over half of the individual plans currently on the market do not meet the standards to be sold next year, when many key provisions of President Obama's Affordable Care Act kick in, according to a University of Chicago study. That's because the law sets new minimums for the basic coverage every individual health care plan must provide.

It will be interesting to see how the coverage extends to rural areas also
  • KatLifter
    Options
    Pure BS
    k9urs_zpse1746d53.gif

Haha, love her.
    Still waiting to see if anyone, including mylast5lbs or MassiveDelta, can offer anything substantive as to why ACA is "BS" or leading to "indentured servitude".
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    One thing I like about Canada - I pay $600/yr provincial health premium - that's 0.8% of my income. Together with my employers extended coverage, even my prescriptions are free. :smile: