Is 25 minutes of cardio enough?

Options
13»

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I don't see how that is even remotely a safe assumption.

OP - it'll be enough if you aren't eating too much. If you're eating too much, you'll either need more cardio, or less eating. Without more information, we can't know if your eating level makes sense.

Unless she has already gained weight, and did not report that to us in her original or subsequent posts, this statement led to the assumption...

I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, I'm basically just trying to not gain the "freshman 20" and maintain my weight.

Not wanting to lose weight. Trying to maintain and not gain any weight.

CICO - with or without exercise. The 2 - 3x per week of getting in 25-30 minutes will allow her to play with the CICO equation a bit on those days.

If you need more information to come to a conclusion, then feel free to pester her to get the information you need. However, most have certainly pointed out to her at this point in the thread that as long as she is not eating at a surplus - she's fine with the shorter cardio sessions.
  • PieSaver
    Options
    To a degree, how long you do cardio for is less important than how intense you do your cardio. Just fifteen minutes is enough for a high intensity interval training session. But if you're at the pace of a brisk walk you'll need to go much longer to burn the same level of calories.

Keep the intensity up and you'll absolutely be able to avoid the freshman 15 or whatever they're calling it these days.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I would swap out a couple of those 25 minute cardio sessions for strength training sessions.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Her question was, "is it enough."

Yes. It's enough.

Enough for what? Doesn't matter. It's "enough." It's also more than zero, as was pointed out.

I can tell you it's enough for me!!!!!
    <hashtaghatescardio>

Its' probably not enough if you're training for a marathon though.

25 minutes of cardio is about 22 minutes too many. Unless Im getting to box. Then its all good

• rhinomidget
    rhinomidget Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thats all I do 25 minutes 2x a week.
    Plenty...if it's HiiT, it definitely is...I only do 2xweek..HOWEVER, I also lift.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    SWWIS wrote: »
    You don't need to do any cardio to maintain your weight, just don't eat more than you burn. Adjust your calorie intake on days you don't work out.

This perfect answer should have been the end of the thread.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    SWWIS wrote: »
    You don't need to do any cardio to maintain your weight, just don't eat more than you burn. Adjust your calorie intake on days you don't work out.

This perfect answer should have been the end of the thread.

Considering that everyone on MFP loves to eat - and I mean LOVES to eat - perhaps a perfect answer would include that maintaining while loving to eat is easier with cardio sessions to balance out the extra calorie consumption that love of eating creates.