10 cokes a day for a month... 10kg gain

Options
Hello all,

Just thought I would drop this nugget in here. Interesting article, not unlike the 'Super-size Me' guy. Thoughts are welcome.

stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/63812100/10kg-heavier-after-month-of-10-Cokes-a-day

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Duh, he added "only" 1400 calories a day to his diet.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Someone added a bunch of calories to their diet and they gained weight? Shocker.
  • jself325
    jself325 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    What was the point of the experiment exactly?

Did they account for how much of the added weight was glycogen?

How do they know for sure how many calories he ate per day? Did they monitor it or did they just take his word for it?

I would certainly hope he did keep track of his calories - I assume he did as he mentioned he followed a paleo-type diet. No record of intake would render that whole experiment useless, right? Because a decline in health after 10 cokes a day is a little obvious, right?
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Really? We needed an experiment to test this? I'll be he felt bloated too, but I don't really need to test that theory either. I saw Supersize Me. It was flat out silly. It did make the guy some cash though which I'm sure was the real point anyway.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It would have been more interesting to see him being monitored for accurate food intake and instead drinking diet soda. I'd like to see all the "but diet soda makez u fat" people
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Well it is a subjective push toward going Paleo. I bet the first 8lbs was the super saturation of glycogen storage in his cells and liver after being low carb for so long.
    Did he mention anything about being stronger or lifting more weight if he trained?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel like I would have a heart attack with that much caffeine and pure sugar. Ick, ick, ick.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I bet he peed 10 more times a day too
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you eat an extra 1400 calories worth of healthy food, you'll gain weight too. It isn't so much what you're eating as how much you're eating.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This is my kind of diet, I'm going to start tomorrow. Today, we feast!
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It would have been more interesting to see him being monitored for accurate food intake and instead drinking diet soda. I'd like to see all the "but diet soda makez u fat" people

Diet soda would have been much more interesting.

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If I drank 10 sodas a day I would lose weight, cause I'd be full all damn day. Not too mention my stomach would feel like a giant acid monster is eating a big hole through it.

I don't understand the point of this though.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

He should of kept exercising while doing this as well... see those results.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    If I drank 10 sodas a day I would lose weight, cause I'd be full all damn day. Not too mention my stomach would feel like a giant acid monster is eating a big hole through it.

I do not understand his point of doing this either. Last Friday I decided to try the "Carb Nite" concept after two months of very low carbs. I gained 6 pounds after a large carb meal from a chain pasta restaurant and a medium peach milkshake. It was at most 1800 calories. Now a week later I have lost four of the six points eating only low carb.

What our bodies do with food seems to be different from person to person.

I really can not image the sugar/caffeine load that his body took for that month. That could not have been a good thing at his age I expect.

• PicoBoulevard
    PicoBoulevard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i would have liked to see what would happen if he had drank 10 cans of DIET soda a day. Would he gain weight? What other health factors might become evident?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »

I do not understand his point of doing this either. Last Friday I decided to try the "Carb Nite" concept after two months of very low carbs. I gained 6 pounds after a large carb meal from a chain pasta restaurant and a medium peach milkshake. It was at most 1800 calories. Now a week later I have lost four of the six points eating only low carb.

That is exactly what would happen to almost anyone.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I suppose it's more pleasurable and viscerally gratifying to drink 10 Pepsis a day to put on weight rather than eat 1400 extra calories worth of skinless baked cod fillets and steamed asparagus spears. :wink:

I'd go with ice cream...but whatever ;)

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this would be a revelation.

When I first started on MFP, I had been drinking 6-7 Dr. Peppers a day. I cut down to half of a can with dinner and lost 19 pounds my first month. It had nothing to do with soda, and everything to do with the fact that I didn't replace those soda calories with other calories, thereby putting me in a deficit.