10 cokes a day for a month... 10kg gain

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Do you have any idea how many potato chips you can get for 1400 calories? Now I'm mad.
  • I was impressed by "losing weight eating McDonald's" more
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Run_Fit wrote: »

You gained 6 pounds of water, not fat.[/quote]

That had to account for some of it plus that was a couple pounds of physical matter too. :)

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Probably waterweight from all that sodium.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    ugh. Just reading about it makes me want to brush my teeth and never eat sugar again. *too sweet*
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I am deeply surprised that someone taking in an extra 1,400 calories a day put on a significant amount of weight.

Deeply.
    I was thinking the same thing. I mean....who knew eating all those extra calories would lead to weight gain. For sure, I would've thought he'd lose lots of weight with 1400 extra calories...ya know, it's the eat more to lose weight principle. >:)

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm concerned that this man thinks he "proved" anything by adding 10 Cokes a day for month. If he had replaced 1400 calories with Coke and gained weight, there might be something to look at, but in this case, nope. Sugar didn't cause his weight gain, but extra calories sure did.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    If I drank 10 sodas a day I would lose weight, cause I'd be full all damn day. Not too mention my stomach would feel like a giant acid monster is eating a big hole through it.

I don't understand the point of this though.

I do not understand his point of doing this either. Last Friday I decided to try the "Carb Nite" concept after two months of very low carbs. I gained 6 pounds after a large carb meal from a chain pasta restaurant and a medium peach milkshake. It was at most 1800 calories. Now a week later I have lost four of the six points eating only low carb.

What our bodies do with food seems to be different from person to person.

I really can not image the sugar/caffeine load that his body took for that month. That could not have been a good thing at his age I expect.

I don't buy the bold part above. Carbs love water, which is water retention and not actual weight gain. Food choices do not cause weight gain, too much food-eating more calories than we burn-is what does it.

• GaleHawkins

and sucked up by the carbs too perhaps. IF I ever do it again I am going with "good" carbs the diet author suggests like very ripe bananas/grapes.

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I'm half tempted to drink 10 cokes a day for a month and eat in a deficit to prove you can lose weight while doing it. It would be pure hell and I would hungry for the entire month...but I sure do love proving points...lol
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Hope he brushes his teeth well and has a good dentist!

• Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Where's the surprise in this? personally I would have chose bon bon's.

Omg, yes, and potato chips.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    All what sodium? 10 cans of Coke would be a whopping 300mg of sodium. I'll never understand where this ridiculous notion that soda has a lot of sodium in has come from. Plain chicken breast has more.
  • tigersword
    snikkins wrote: »
    I'm concerned that this man thinks he "proved" anything by adding 10 Cokes a day for month. If he had replaced 1400 calories with Coke and gained weight, there might be something to look at, but in this case, nope. Sugar didn't cause his weight gain, but extra calories sure did.

My favorite part of the article was where he tried to claim that he wouldn't have gained the weight had it been 1400 calories of protein and fat added in instead. Some people are just incredibly stupid.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Where's the surprise in this? personally I would have chose bon bon's.

I would've chosen beer, if I hated my liver and if it weren't for my pesky real life responsibilities...
  • tigersword
    I just did the math for fun. 1400 calories per day x 30 days = 42,000 calories. Divide by 3500 calories = 12 pounds of fat. Since he was eating low carb and paleo, he would've refilled glycogen stores, roughly 10-12 pounds with the water weight. That equals about 22-24 pounds of weight gain. He gained... 24 pounds. Yeah, really shocking stuff, right?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    more than 50 per cent of Americans consume the daily equivalent of 10 Cokes a day, although in the form of a combination of energy drinks, juices and other dietary forms.

So does other dietray forms just include ermm food? When I read the article my impression was what a chump and so what?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I think it would've made more sense if they had taken one of the fifty percent of Americans and had them replace what they normally consume with 10 Cokes. It means nothing for a fit man to eat too much, but if one if the fifty percent replaced what he drinks with Coke and there is no change, then that means something.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

and sucked up by the carbs too perhaps. IF I ever do it again I am going with "good" carbs the diet author suggests like very ripe bananas/grapes.

You believe in unicorns, don't you?
  • GaleHawkins

You believe in unicorns, don't you?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pWWN8NWBLAI

Why do you think DH Kiefer looks like a unicorn?