The Beginner's Guide To Bulking : How to Develop Quality Mass the CORRECT Way

Options
Introduction

It seems like there is never a shortage of new members in the forum seeking advice on this topic, with new threads daily.

Given, there is PLENTY of great information available throughout the forum on the various aspects of this, I thought maybe it was time to go ahead and do a BASIC, to the point, guide on the subject, covering all the aspects of it (nutrition, training, supplements, etc.)

This guide will strictly be covering BULKING.

Why?
Because 9/10 of you starting your fitness journey do not have any reasonable amount of muscle mass that would justify you cutting or losing weight.

I don't say this to be discouraging, it's just the truth.
If you don't have the muscle to show, what do you expect to look like when you lose body fat?

'But Why Should We Listen To You?'

BECAUSE I'M SHREDDED!

Not really.

Don't listen if you don't feel my advice would help you.
I'm not telling you that you HAVE to do things my way or that my way is best (lots will disagree).

The purpose of this guide is to create a simple, easy to read and understand, outline of the basics of the varying topics involved in bulking, and how you can apply them to see results.

Take the information I provide and apply it as you see fit, or don't.

Choice is yours.

I have no degrees or certifications to back up what I said.
I am not a nutritionist or exercise physiologist...hell, I'm not even a certified PT.

What I do have is a little bit of personal experience in this subject (review my Bodyspace or personal training journal to see my training/transformation history), a little bit of time browsing the forum, interacting with members, learning, applying what I've learned, and doing a bit of studying/reading on the different topics involved from experts in their respective fields, and using a little bit of 'bro-science' partnered with what research is telling us works best...I think I just may be able to help.

Now, let's get this thing going!

I. Nutrition

This is THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT of the entire process.

Without having your diet in check, no amount of training/supplementation will give you results.

YOU NEED TO EAT TO GROW

Before we even get into things, you should do these two items
1. Get yourself a food scale to weigh/measure what you're ACTUALLY CONSUMING (they can be found relatively cheap at Wal-Mart or any chain store like it)
2. UTILIZE THIS WEBSITE/APP to accurately track your intake.

IA. Calorie + Nutrient Requirements

There are two ways you can determine these.
I'd recommend the first option I provide, as it will (likely) be a more accurate starting point, however the fact of the matter is...either way you go, it's still just an ESTIMATE on required intake, and your actual needs will be determined through applying this information and using trail + error to find your balance.

Option A (Detailed + Accurate)

The Sticky Thread ; forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

This thread will provide you with various formulas to determine a calorie baseline requirement, and the MINIMUM target amounts for protein and fat intake.
It's also going to take a slight bit more work on your part with working through the formulas, however it's really not that difficult.

Option B (Simple)

Calories : 16-18 calories/lb (35.2-39.6 calories/kg)
Protein : 1g/lb (2.2g/kg)
Fat : .5g/lb (1.1g/kg)
Carbohydrates : As many/few as you'd like staying in your calorie target

This method will catch more flack than the other, but I'm not here to make everyone happy.
This is a short + sweet method to going about determining your needs and giving you a STARTING POINT for beginning the process.

I don't condone the lazy path, however I'd rather give you this option and at least get your *kitten* in gear, than have you not even bother starting because you don't want to put in the effort to sort out the math provided in the first option.

Assessing Results

Continue with your new caloric intake for 3-4 weeks.
At this point begin monitoring your weekly/bi-weekly weight fluctuations and use the AVERAGE results to determine weight change.

You should be targeting a weight gain of .5-1lb/week AVERAGE.

Notice my constant emphasis on the word AVERAGE, this is because there will be daily weight fluctuations due to a variety of factors, however it's your balance over time that will show true results.

IB. Meal Timing/Frequency

The general consensus (and fact of the matter) is that meal timing/frequency is irrelevant to body composition, and, assuming your dietary intake is the same over this time period, results will not be noticeably different solely based on the factors of meal timing/frequency.

Now, that being said, even some of the biggest names in the world of nutrition (to include our beloved Alan Aragon) have gone to state that does not mean to TOTALLY undermine this aspect of things, with a good rule of thumb being to try and eat something within 2 hours of training (be it pre-/post-) and although 2-3 meals/day will yield LARGELY similar results...there may be something to be said for 3-4 meals/day as SLIGHTLY more 'optimal'

Again though, take it for what it is, and either route you choose, you will likely yield very similar results.

IC. Water Intake

Proper hydration should not have to be emphasized, but I'm going to cover it anyways to ensure you're paying attention.
It's crucial in daily function and can have a drastic toll on your training, and life in general, if you're not hydrated.

There really is no [x] = correct amount here, as it'll vary based on a variety of factors.
Based on information provided in various websites, a solid general guide seems to be around 5 clear urinations/day.

II. Training/Workout Program

Beginner Programs
Option 1. forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
Option 2. jcdfitness.com/2009/01/lyle-mcdonalds-bulking-routine/
Option 3. stronglifts.com/5x5/

I'd also suggest Google searching for 'Starting Strength'

*Feel free to mention/link any program I missed or you feel should be included*

My Outline

Again, I'll offer you options here.

Option A

Full Body
3x/Week Training Frequency

Outline

Exercises
Squat / Deadlift / Bench Press
Leg Press / Bent Over Row / Overhead Press
Skull Crushers
Barbell Curl
Crunches

Reps x Sets

Compound Lifts : 2 x 6 / 2 x 8 / 1 x 12
Accessories : 4 x 8

Day 1
Squat
Overhead Press
Skull Crushers
Barbell Curl
Crunches

Day 2
Deadlift
Bent Over Row
Skull Crushers
Barbell Curl
Crunches

Day 3
Bench press
Leg Press
Skull Crushers
Barbell Curl
Crunches

Structure

Day 1 , Rest , Day 2 , Rest , Day 3 , Rest , Rest

Option B

Upper / Lower
2x/Week Training Frequency (Per Day)

Outline

Reps x Sets

Compound Lifts : 2 x 6 / 2 x 8 / 1 x 12
Accessories : 4 x 8

Upper Day
Bench Press (U1) / Deadlift (U2)
Bent Over Row (U1) / Overhead Press (U2)
Cable Fly
Lat Pulldown
Skull Crushers
Barbell Curl
Crunches

Lower Day
Squats (L1) / Leg Press (l2)
Seated Leg Extensions
Lying Leg Curls
Seated Calf Raise
Crunches
Hyperextensions

Structure

U1 , Rest , L1 , Rest , U2 , L2 , Rest

Cardio During Bulking

Why cardio during when bulking?
It will increase your appetite, daily caloric intake, and it's a great tool for overall health.

Keep it simple though.

Get yourself 3-4 light intensity (LISS) cardio sessions throughout your training week and call it good.
Keep them 20-30 minutes in duration.

You could even use it for a warm up/cool down pre-/post- training.
Get in 10 minutes before lifting to warm the body up, workout, then go ahead and ease out of it with another 10 minutes.

^^^ THIS IS THE METHOD I SUGGEST ^^^

You're already at the gym anyways, so you're much more likely to go through with ACTUALLY DOING YOUR CARDIO.
As opposed to people doing cardio on off days, I feel there is a much higher risk you'll skip it simply because it's an 'off day' and you're not going to want to get up and do it.

III. Supplements

Supplements....DON'T BOTHER!

What?!
But don't we need our post-workout shake and dextrose + 20g/creatine loading phase for peak anaBROlism?!

NO!

During the early stages of your training, your emphasis should be on the basics.
Training + Nutrition.

Get your diet in check, learn about proper form with your exercises/movements, focus on progression, and you are going to yield GREAT RESULTS, without the addition supplements.

#1 FAQ

How Long Do I Bulk For?

Until you look in the mirror and think yourself 'I'm a disgusting SLOB!'...
...okay not quiet, but there is a bit of truth behind it.

Your bulk should continue until you're no longer comfortable with your body fat %.
Although I try to steer clear of this recommendation because I feel beginners are much more likely to undergo a bit of body dysmorphia during your early stages of bulking, due to the slight increase in fat mass, you will begin to think you need to cut before you really do.

Time Frame Recommendations
MINIMUM : 6 Months
RECOMMENDED : 1 Year

Your first bulk is going to be your best.
Your bodies natural potential for development and growth is at it's highest, take advantage of it!

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES/INFORMATION SOURCES

Websites
1. bodyrecomposition.com
2. alanaragon.com
3. lookgreatnaked.com/fitness_articles_by_brad_schoenfeld.php

It may seem like a lot, but I tried to keep it as short and sweet as possible, yet still cover ALL of what I felt the most crucial/important aspects of this process and help you get underway.

Hopefully you enjoyed it, have learned something from it, and can apply it to help you in your goals.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK!

Post any/all questions regarding bulking in this thread and myself, and some of the other members will happily assist you in answering them.

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Some good info here, I'm sure people will be here shortly to talk about it, But Like I say "Take what you can use and leave the rest"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting post, for me the calories part is always a bit of a process of adjusting and trying to figure out how much is just enough to add some muscle without too much fat. That's going to be different for each person depending on their goals, their age, activity levels etc. For me I'm trying to get it about 100-200 cals above maintenance each day and that's a little tricky. I'm not too concerned about macro breakdown but aim for 1g/lb of protein, 45g of fibre and the rest of my macros I just let fall as they may but they generally seem to be about 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat.

I'm slowly bulking in general but the weight does fluctuate and that makes finding the right number of calories a bit tricky.

ETA I think most people here tend to use the TDEE calculators at IFFYM or Scooby's Workshop rather than crunch the formulas by hand.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Long read, but there's some useful information in there. My one and only bulk phase applied a lot of these guidelines, and my 4-day split routine wasn't all that different than what you provided (except I added in some intense glute work). I ended my bulk with a slightly lower body fat percent than when I started (I gained fat, but I gained more muscle than fat over 9 months and 14 pounds). I continued to recomp at the higher weight for several months and am now trying to cut. It's a long process, but the changes are good and definitely worth it.

Would recommend that people considering a bulk take a lot of the advice you're offering and apply it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    your rather good advice is lost when you open with bullsh!t crap like this
    Why?
    Because 9/10 of you starting your fitness journey do not have any reasonable amount of muscle mass that would justify you cutting or losing weight.

I don't say this to be discouraging, it's just the truth.
    If you don't have the muscle to show, what do you expect to look like when you lose body fat?

it's insulting and insipid.

"you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

I highly doubt that 90% of the people here are at a place where they need to bulk.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
  • version45
    version45 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for having the stones to put this out here. I'm sure the ersatz experts will attack, but I enjoyed reading it, and because it appears you've been personally successful with your advice, well, I tend to listen to people who walk the talk. One question regarding protein powder. I have not used them and don't really want to. I'm trying to make strength a long term lifestyle and shaking powder in a bottle feels unnatural and a little narcissistic to me. But your advice, and most of the stuff I've read in the various forums, say 1g for each lb of body weight, which in my case is 185g. I literally cannot eat that much meat every day, it would make me gag. What other natural (i.e. FOOD) protein sources do you use to hit your protein goal in a day? Or is it all chicken breasts and steaks?
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

"you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

I highly doubt that 90% of the people here are at a place where they need to bulk.

There is no insult intent behind the post, it's more the simple truth that the large majority of new trainees do not have the sufficient base of lean mass that would justify them cutting to start their training career.

If yourself, or others, are offended by the statement I apologize it comes across in that manner, but in no way does it discredit the legitimacy of the information provided.

The post will stand as I've created it and if others are offended, well that sucks but at the end of the day you're not going to make everyone happy.

I'm here to share information and assist others on getting off on the right foot, not baby feelings and worry if I've upset someone.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

There is no insult intent behind the post, it's more the simple truth that the large majority of new trainees do not have the sufficient base of lean mass that would justify them cutting to start their training career.

If yourself, or others, are offended by the statement I apologize it comes across in that manner, but in no way does it discredit the legitimacy of the information provided.

The post will stand as I've created it and if others are offended, well that sucks but at the end of the day you're not going to make everyone happy.

I'm here to share information and assist others on getting off on the right foot, not baby feelings and worry if I've upset someone.

The problem with:

""you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

is it tells the readers that you do not know the audience who is reading this thread. You are in essence, telling men and women who are obese and morbidly obese that they should not cut but bulk because they are muscle-less. Wrong.

For what you are calling a beginner's guide to bulking, you have alienated alot of people with that comment because until someone who is obese, morbidly obese and even some classified as overweight, has done their cut to a more appropriate body fat level doing a bulk first would be likely medically unadvisable at best and physchologically and physically damaging at worst.

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    version45 wrote: »
    Thanks for having the stones to put this out here. I'm sure the ersatz experts will attack, but I enjoyed reading it, and because it appears you've been personally successful with your advice, well, I tend to listen to people who walk the talk. One question regarding protein powder. I have not used them and don't really want to. I'm trying to make strength a long term lifestyle and shaking powder in a bottle feels unnatural and a little narcissistic to me. But your advice, and most of the stuff I've read in the various forums, say 1g for each lb of body weight, which in my case is 185g. I literally cannot eat that much meat every day, it would make me gag. What other natural (i.e. FOOD) protein sources do you use to hit your protein goal in a day? Or is it all chicken breasts and steaks?

1 g per lb of "lean body mass" not per lb of body weight, So figure your BF % and minus that to get your total, for me its 150 grams
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

The problem with:

""you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

is it tells the readers that you do not know the audience who is reading this thread. You are in essence, telling men and women who are obese and morbidly obese that they should not cut but bulk because they are muscle-less. Wrong.

For what you are calling a beginner's guide to bulking, you have alienated alot of people with that comment because until someone who is obese, morbidly obese and even some classified as overweight, has done their cut to a more appropriate body fat level doing a bulk first would be likely medically unadvisable at best and physchologically and physically damaging at worst.

This would be in the "Gaining Weight" section.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

The problem with:

I could be wrong, but I'm not too sure that there'll be too many obese, or morbidly obese people hanging out in the "Gaining Weight" section, reading a guide on bulking. If their goals are to lose weight, then they would be in the wrong section for advice.

I understand that this is in the 'Gaining Weight Forum' but you do realize that the threads show up on the main forums page and people will read this from there - as I did? Any time anyone comments on it, it goes to the very first page on the general forum where I am sure people may or may not pay attention to what group it was posted under. This all falls under 'knowing your audience'.

Regardless of what forum it is under, my point still stands. If this is a basic, beginners guide to Bulking, in my opinion it should include the generally recommended starting BF% to begin your bulk!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

The problem with:

I could be wrong, but I'm not too sure that there'll be too many obese, or morbidly obese people hanging out in the "Gaining Weight" section, reading a guide on bulking. If their goals are to lose weight, then they would be in the wrong section for advice.

I understand that this is in the 'Gaining Weight Forum' but you do realize that the threads show up on the main forums page and people will read this from there - as I did? Any time anyone comments on it, it goes to the very first page on the general forum where I am sure people may or may not pay attention to what group it was posted under. This all falls under 'knowing your audience'.

Regardless of what forum it is under, my point still stands. If this is a basic, beginners guide to Bulking, in my opinion it should include the generally recommended starting BF% to begin your bulk!

Even though it is on the main forum page it does list the Board in which it was posted under.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Overall, I'd agree with the majority of the points and feel like this is a comprehensive overview for individuals who are new to bulking, lean bulking, etc to at least get started.

I think it can be expanded by tapping into the psychological side which seems to get left out very often. It also seems to be an area where people struggle quite a bit.