Replies

• dwygtd
    dwygtd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options

"you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

I highly doubt that 90% of the people here are at a place where they need to bulk.

The problem with:

""you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

is it tells the readers that you do not know the audience who is reading this thread. You are in essence, telling men and women who are obese and morbidly obese that they should not cut but bulk because they are muscle-less. Wrong.

For what you are calling a beginner's guide to bulking, you have alienated alot of people with that comment because until someone who is obese, morbidly obese and even some classified as overweight, has done their cut to a more appropriate body fat level doing a bulk first would be likely medically unadvisable at best and physchologically and physically damaging at worst.

[/quote]

I would sincerely hope people have enough common sense to know that if they're >15-16% BF or fall into the 'obese' category, that they should not be bulking.

As mentioned, the forum is listed and if they can't understand that this is a post for bulking/gaining weight I think there are bigger issues.

It's obviously a post for bulking and is in the appropriate section, that's enough of a basis covered to distinguish which audience this is intended for.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up. I agree overall, but disagree with the points already mentioned. You've had great success. Well done.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would sincerely hope people have enough common sense to know that if they're >15-16% BF or fall into the 'obese' category, that they should not be bulking.

As mentioned, the forum is listed and if they can't understand that this is a post for bulking/gaining weight I think there are bigger issues.

It's obviously a post for bulking and is in the appropriate section, that's enough of a basis covered to distinguish which audience this is intended for.

Is that 15-16% for men and women? Because if I have to wait until I'm 15-16% BF to try to add some muscle, I may as well just throw in the towel now and accept my muscle-less life.

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I like this post. After a lot of research and reading this is pretty much what I have been doing. I've had a hard time sticking with the higher calories but when I do I see results.

Not sure I'll make to the 6 months mark but I'm trying to keep my mind in the right place.
    Good read for beginners
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    your rather good advice is lost when you open with bullsh!t crap like this
    Why?
    Because 9/10 of you starting your fitness journey do not have any reasonable amount of muscle mass that would justify you cutting or losing weight.

I don't say this to be discouraging, it's just the truth.
    If you don't have the muscle to show, what do you expect to look like when you lose body fat?

it's insulting and insipid.

"you should bulk because you don't have any muscle- because 90%of you are muscle-less"

I highly doubt that 90% of the people here are at a place where they need to bulk.

I do agree that the statement above wasn't necessary. I think throwing around that 90% number is a bit out there because we are assuming that the majority of people are falling into that skinny fat range where it gets tricky. On BB we see that a lot but on here it's mostly we're to fat to bulk or lack lbm to cut. More so the to fat part.

The post isn't bad. It has good general information. You mentioned Alan in the macronutrimacronutrient timing situation, you should have linked the threads on timing he has ono BB's nutrition section. It's a long read but worth it.

Anyone really serious I do recommend usually, if you're coming fromantic that side and have spent any time in the fat loss section or even around here then you might know the author, Waldo.
    http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/

agreed.
    You certainly haven't hurt anyone's feeling here and I can confidently say JRocks feeling definitely weren't hurt. It was just pointing out a statement that was disagreed with. You were also told it was good advice. Don't harp on the negative. This isn't the Misc.

agreed.
    is it tells the readers that you do not know the audience who is reading this thread. You are in essence, telling men and women who are obese and morbidly obese that they should not cut but bulk because they are muscle-less. Wrong.

For what you are calling a beginner's guide to bulking, you have alienated alot of people with that comment because until someone who is obese, morbidly obese and even some classified as overweight, has done their cut to a more appropriate body fat level doing a bulk first would be likely medically unadvisable at best and physchologically and physically damaging at worst.

despite the fact I didn't agree with the opening- I have to agree- he was speaking to a specific audience- and it is the gaining weight section.

I just didn't care of that opener- but- as it has been pointed out- most of his stuff is solid.

For women- specifically- I wouldn't bulk at anything over 25%- it's just to much work to cut- and you deal with significantly more mental side impacts of "I'm fat" that feeling is stronger- and more pronounced.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

despite the fact I didn't agree with the opening- I have to agree- he was speaking to a specific audience- and it is the gaining weight section.

I just didn't care of that opener- but- as it has been pointed out- most of his stuff is solid.

For women- specifically- I wouldn't bulk at anything over 25%- it's just to much work to cut- and you deal with significantly more mental side impacts of "I'm fat" that feeling is stronger- and more pronounced.

You point out the 25% cutoff b/c it's too much work to cut after, but what would you say to someone who just can't seem to lose fat? I've tried and tried but am getting nowhere except for the occasional 2 lbs lost then gained again shortly. I've dieted much of my life due mostly to the fact that I didn't understand that I was skinny fat and it was "lean" that I was seeking, not "skinny". So naturally I did it on very low cal dieting and barely getting out of bed because I was so wrecked. If I had known better, I would never have done that, but there was no internet, just stupid magazines telling me to eat 1200 and me being an overachiever and thus going for 800. Sigh. So now, I'm hitting the gym with a muscle-growing workout while trying to lose fat and just spinning my wheels. I finally decided this week that I just can't do it any longer and I'd rather eat at maintenance and above, to try to build some muscle. And I know it won't be easy, but neither has what I've been doing with no results. I don't know what my bf% is, only that I have muffintop, belly, thighs, and back fat that I can grab and squish and I hate it, but I love my biceps which have somehow grown since training, and I'd like to have that same feeling about my legs and chest, etc, but I don't think those larger muscles will grow accidentally, so I need to feed them. The hope is that I can add some muscle that will help make cutting easier. I know as a woman I can't expect too much muscle gain, but I always had twigs for arms and legs in my skinny fat quest (the skinny was limbs, the fat was trunk), so I think I have a lot of untapped potential that might help me gain well in those areas.

Tl;dr, I might be part of that "90%" he was talking to, having been skinny fat most of my life. Is bulking "worth a try" for a HUnGRY overfat female who is totally stuck in her weight Loss, going nowhere fast?

P.s. Also I am recovering from ankle, calf problem, so I can't run right now either (which I love), so with no chance of cardio (even jumping jacks etc bother calves), might make it a good time to focus on muscle building too, right??
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Is bulking "worth a try" for a HUnGRY overfat female who is totally stuck in her weight Loss, going nowhere fast?

"Bulking" may not be the right terminology as it is generally associated with eating excess calories, to ensure optimum muscle growth, so if you already have "Spare Fat" then be wary of adding too many calories. As for training to gain muscle mass and as a technique to lose fat, . . . definitely follow the weight lifting regime above . . . with progressive overloading . . . and the body recompositioning will happen. Fat stores will supply the additional calories if you eat at just below maintenance, so muscular growth (hypertrophy) will still take place.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

You point out the 25% cutoff b/c it's too much work to cut after, but what would you say to someone who just can't seem to lose fat? I've tried and tried but am getting nowhere except for the occasional 2 lbs lost then gained again shortly. I've dieted much of my life due mostly to the fact that I didn't understand that I was skinny fat and it was "lean" that I was seeking, not "skinny". So naturally I did it on very low cal dieting and barely getting out of bed because I was so wrecked. If I had known better, I would never have done that, but there was no internet, just stupid magazines telling me to eat 1200 and me being an overachiever and thus going for 800. Sigh. So now, I'm hitting the gym with a muscle-growing workout while trying to lose fat and just spinning my wheels. I finally decided this week that I just can't do it any longer and I'd rather eat at maintenance and above, to try to build some muscle. And I know it won't be easy, but neither has what I've been doing with no results. I don't know what my bf% is, only that I have muffintop, belly, thighs, and back fat that I can grab and squish and I hate it, but I love my biceps which have somehow grown since training, and I'd like to have that same feeling about my legs and chest, etc, but I don't think those larger muscles will grow accidentally, so I need to feed them. The hope is that I can add some muscle that will help make cutting easier. I know as a woman I can't expect too much muscle gain, but I always had twigs for arms and legs in my skinny fat quest (the skinny was limbs, the fat was trunk), so I think I have a lot of untapped potential that might help me gain well in those areas.

Tl;dr, I might be part of that "90%" he was talking to, having been skinny fat most of my life. Is bulking "worth a try" for a HUnGRY overfat female who is totally stuck in her weight Loss, going nowhere fast?

P.s. Also I am recovering from ankle, calf problem, so I can't run right now either (which I love), so with no chance of cardio (even jumping jacks etc bother calves), might make it a good time to focus on muscle building too, right??

What would someone say to you? Depends on your stats. What's your exact bf%, weight, height etc.

I have bulked at well over optimal bf (30ish) with great results and am doing so again now (I'm in the high 20s whereas for optimal results I should wait till sub 24%). It's about personal goals, how you feel, if you can mentally cope with gaining some fat too etc.

Regardless of your stats, I don't think eating at maintenance while lifting heavy is going to do anyone any harm. It'd get your metabolism back on track (although I find tales of metabolic damage to be over exaggerated, at best), let you gain some strength in the weight room and put a halt to any deterioration you're causing to bone density with such low cals (in the past, I understand) and cardio.

However, it's very unlikely that you'd gain much in the way of muscle eating at maintenance (even less with a 'muscle-growing' while still at deficit plan). You can't do both (except maybe for a few months if you're new to strength training or very overweight).

Do a bit more research and decide what your short term and long term goals are. The link to waldo's site, Jo provided is a good one, there's also great points in the OP here and the 'women who bulk' group has great threads if you have time to go through them.

I would agree that women have a harder time cutting but it's not impossible. If your eating at deficit and not losing then you have to go over what you're doing with a fine tooth comb - get the food scales back out, log EVERYTHING and if that isn't working then it's a visit to the doctors because if you are truly at deficit then you should be losing.

Good luck with it. ^ doesn't sound like it from my post! but bulking is great fun if you decide to give it a shot.

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't trying to thread jack, but when I saw the 90% comment, I thought "yes! That's me!", then all the criticism about that comment later just burst my bubble, so I felt lost again. I will post my own thread after I can collect my thoughts and perhaps take some pics or measurements. Thanks, and sorry for the thread jack.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The 90% criticism, I feel, was justified because most of us coming in here are trying to gain or have gained in the past.

Don't be put off coming in this section - there's great advice to be had if you decide to go that way.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    Yes, I stalk this board and the women bulking group often because of the quality of people and information relative to my own goals (for strength and muscles...but also leanness).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

What would someone say to you? Depends on your stats. What's your exact bf%, weight, height etc.

I have bulked at well over optimal bf (30ish) with great results and am doing so again now (I'm in the high 20s whereas for optimal results I should wait till sub 24%). It's about personal goals, how you feel, if you can mentally cope with gaining some fat too etc.

Regardless of your stats, I don't think eating at maintenance while lifting heavy is going to do anyone any harm. It'd get your metabolism back on track (although I find tales of metabolic damage to be over exaggerated, at best), let you gain some strength in the weight room and put a halt to any deterioration you're causing to bone density with such low cals (in the past, I understand) and cardio.

However, it's very unlikely that you'd gain much in the way of muscle eating at maintenance (even less with a 'muscle-growing' while still at deficit plan). You can't do both (except maybe for a few months if you're new to strength training or very overweight).

Do a bit more research and decide what your short term and long term goals are. The link to waldo's site, Jo provided is a good one, there's also great points in the OP here and the 'women who bulk' group has great threads if you have time to go through them.

I would agree that women have a harder time cutting but it's not impossible. If your eating at deficit and not losing then you have to go over what you're doing with a fine tooth comb - get the food scales back out, log EVERYTHING and if that isn't working then it's a visit to the doctors because if you are truly at deficit then you should be losing.

Good luck with it. ^ doesn't sound like it from my post! but bulking is great fun if you decide to give it a shot.

This.

I would say the same thing-
    > give more details
    > visuals
    > goals

but really -it's personal choice.

There is nothing to say you CANNOT bulk above 25%- but you have to be aware of the downsides to that.

elaine bulked high- as did I. And like I said the difficulties exists.

I chose to bulk on the high side because I wanted to hit certain weight goals- meaning I was trying to pull 300 pound dead lift. I'm now back down to pre-bulk weight- I'm certainly bigger- I do not look nearly as cut as I did at this weight last year- but I'm having a devil of a time trying to get below this weight now.

Had I waited lost some more weight- I suspect I wouldn't' be in these same shoes this year. But it is what it is- I hit 305 and was happy. And I got bigger. WIN.

• beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

+1 to all of this ^^^

The key take-away with this whole guide/outline should be that it is nothing other than that...a guideline. It is not set in stone, it is not the be-all, end-all of bulking and the rules you HAVE to follow to be successful.

It's simply an outline I've constructed based on personal experience partnered with a bit of research adn science based data.

Does it mean it is the only option? Absolutley not.
    At the end of the day you have to pick the route you are going to be happiest with, because if you aren't happy doing what you're doing, you're much less likely to be successful.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm 226lbs. Should I bulk? Because another shredded dude said to lose weight first and bulk after I get to 10%. Could a third shredded dude chime in and I'll do a 2/3 majority thing?

Quit being facetious
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm 226lbs. Should I bulk? Because another shredded dude said to lose weight first and bulk after I get to 10%. Could a third shredded dude chime in and I'll do a 2/3 majority thing?

Quit being facetious

He did claim 90% of people don't have enough muscle to justify losing weight. I'm allowed to be a little facetious in this case.

LMFAO. You're a big dude, I'm sure you're part of the elusive 10% ;)