How can crockpot recipes taste good?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I also use the crock pot as a cooking method and my meals are wonderful and tasty. I generally use it for soups, stews, and anything that is best with super tender fall apart meat. Like much of cooking, flavor is all in the ingredients and seasonings.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Crock pot meals are best with anything that is supposed to have cooked all day in a pot -- peasant cooking. Soups, stews, chilis, some curries, root vegetables, tough cuts of meat...

If the carmelized taste and lower fat cuts of meat are what makes food taste "good" to you (and it's why sautees and stir frys are wonderful) then skip the crock pot. It ain't your thang.

I use both methods. I do have a repertoire of foods that I prep, throw in freezer bags and then thaw to pop in the crock pot for dinner. Chili, chicken curry, a chicken bean soup, Butternut squash soup, beef stew, and several others. This is useful on busy days so I am not tempted to dial the Magic Sushi Phone when I don't feel like cooking. They're tasty, but high-end cooking? Lord love you, no. (Though I do not use what my mother calls Redneck mushroom soup cooking techniques)

I know of people who would put a whole bird in a crock pot. It does make the meat very tender. Me? I like roasted meat better, so I am more likely to use an oven for that. I don't like many veggies in the crock pot unless they're good soup veggies. Peppers, broccoli, and things like that, I prefer in sautees or roasted.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Ok, this all makes sense. I was contemplating *maybe* getting a crockpot expressly for convenience, but I think I'd be unhappy with the results if I treated it that way.

I bet all of you are fab cooks :)

I am not American, nor do I live in the US and therefore crock pot cooking was unknown to me most of my life. I got interested when I came across this blog:
    ( http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/ ). If you check something like " 365 days of crcok pot recipes ", you'll find several.
    Obviously I did not cook all recipes, but I personally never prepared a recipe that had canned soup in it. They might exist and some people might like them, but no one will force you to use any of those recipes.
    Just like with anything creative in life, your cooking will taste as good as you make it.
    I make stews, heavy soups, curries and the like in a crock pot, which I find very convenient. I made chicken & rice which turned out delicious against all expectations. I would for example never make Chicken Cordon Bleu in it, even though there are recipes. I have also tried apple pie and cheese cake made in a crock pot. It was acceptable, but I would prefer the traditional way of preparation.
    You make it sound like there is nothing but recipes with raw onions and canned soup and that is just not so. I would suggest that if you don't want to use a crock pot....just don't.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think this addresses the frozen raw meat issue pretty well- twohealthykitchens.com/2014/02/03/is-it-safe-to-use-frozen-meat-in-your-crock-pot/
    If you don't want to thaw your meat before putting it in a slow cooker that is up to you but it is a risk and isn't recommended.

There are a lot of recipes out there that are good and some that aren't. Look around some more.
    One of the laziest things I have made in the slow cooker was just dumping a jar of salsa on chicken breast and it was tasty to my family.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This is super flammable, I'm sorry in advance.

With ordinary cooking, timing and temperature and all the rest of the bag of tricks make a HUGE impact on flavour and texture.

I honestly do not see how putting a raw onion in with a frozen chicken and a can of soup and cooking that for 8 hours can taste good.

Even the foodies at Chowhound don't know what to do with it (see e.g. threads like "Why do my slow cooker recipes always taste bad?").

(I am genuinely curious)

Flame away!

I will often make a chili or soup in my crockpot. I have also only used fresh ingredients. I have never used canned soup or frozen chicken in my crockpot.

Try googling some recipes and see what you come up with.

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_and_techniques/food_safety_guide_for_cooking_with_crock_pot

http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/healthy_cooking_blog/7_tricks_for_better_slow_cooking_in_your_crock_pot

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I get all my recipes from Pinterest. This past weekend I tried a whole chicken in the crockpot, with just some Paprika & Steak Seasoning on high for about 4 1/2 hours. It came out so juicy and delicious!!!
  • talonspiritcat
    talonspiritcat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not see how putting a raw onion in with a frozen chicken and a can of soup and cooking that for 8 hours can taste good.

Bone-in pork chops seasoned with salt and pepper.
    Layer thin sliced potato and onion on top.
    Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup with half a can milk and pour into crockpot.
    Cook on low for 8 hours. Enjoy.

Basic but it works. Good enough to serve to company. Tastes better if you add thyme, garlic, other seasonings to the soup mixture. Sear the chops and brown the onions first for even more flavour.

Pour BBQ sauce over ribs and bake 8 hours on low for fall-off-the-bone tender.

You just have to learn what foods work best, as other people posted.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much tossed a whole can of stock- 2 whole chicken breasts- which were right off the shelf of the store- so the insides appeared to be unthawed- outside were thawed...
    - 2 bags of veggies- an onion and some celary about half way through.
    - salt/pepper/little dash of garlic/italian seasoning/chili pepper flakes.

boom- delicious chicken soup.

it's not the SAME as a well prepared delicious steak- no- but it's still good- and took nothing but 5 min to prepare and then eat after 6-8 hours. Sometimes there's a trade off- not EVERY meal has to be gourmet deliciousness- sometimes it can just be 'good'.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I put everything in the crock pot. You just have to use spices and seasonings like with any other type of cooking. Most of the time I use frozen meats as well. BUT I believe in having good meats to begin with. None of that grocery store bought crap for me. We raise our own or buy pasture raised meats only. Makes a huge difference.

If you throw frozen chicken, onion, soup, basil, lemon pepper, and carrots you'd have something. Would it taste like a gourmet fillet meal? No. Will it be good? Yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Some of the best things I've ever made were slow cooker meals. ESPECIALLY crock pot chicken tacos. Mother of all things holy those are good.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Chili and some vegetables are about the only things I cook in my crock pot anymore. I'm sure I probably could've avoided it somewhat but it seemed like anytime I cooked mean and vegetables in mine it all came out tasting the same after sitting in there for 8 or more hours.
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I use frozen chicken in my crock pot all the time, I've never had a problem. I have a couple recipes I LOVE, but I don't have a problem with shredded chicken.

I needed something simple and effortless for dinner tonight. This morning I threw some frozen chicken in the crock pot with some sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Took me less than 5 minutes. About half an hour before dinner, I added some corn starch, and threw some rice on the stove to cook. Fantastic chicken teriyaki that everyone in my family eats.

I'm also an advocate of frozen food crockpot cooking. My chicken would actually come out dryer than if I used thawed chicken. Taste comes from flavor. You need to learn what flavors you like first then anything you put in cooker will taste good.
  • grlgemini
    Options
    I used my crockpot overnight - last night. I made homemade chicken broth. I had roasted a whole chicken for dinner. So, I put the bones, celery, carrots, onion, thyme, and a bay leaf - covered with water overnight for 8 hours. So yummy!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I tried cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot once - TERRIBLE. It was the driest piece of anything I ever put in my mouth! I should have known when I took the lid off and there was the chicken surrounded by a ton of liquid. Since I didn't put any liquid in the crockpot, it could have only come from the actual chicken!

If I do cook chicken in the crockpot, it's chicken breasts or thighs in some type of gravy or sauce and I only cook it on low for about 3-4 hours so it doesn't dry out.

Soup is great in the crockpot - lentil, split pea, beef stew.
  • veronakings
    Options
    season. taste. repeat. add the salt and pepper at the end so it doesn't reduce and get too salty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Certain things can be done well in a crockpot and other cannot.

My crockpot is generally reserved for things that require slow and low cooking...namely tough cuts of meat, legumes, and if I want something to just stew all day.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My DH has never cared for meals from the crock pot.A lot of veggies look like shredded whaever after cooking all day & meat is ok for sandwiches.I prefer a heavy pot on the stove for soups & the oven for a whole chicken or roast.
    On the other hand,if you do like food cooked in a slow cooker,very handy for the woman with a family waiting on supper.
    We all have different tastes.....
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only use the stove top for my morning fried eggs. Never use my oven and don't own a microwave. I use my NuWave and Crock Pot ALL the time! Roasting/browning in the NuWave (even my morning bacon and toast to go with my eggs) other stuff in the crockpot. I have a crockpot at every station I work out of and will toss whatever ingredient sounds like it will fit my "craving of the day" in and by lunch/dinner I feed myself and my crew! Always tastes divine and is very "diet" friendly! Last shift I did 3#s chicken breast with a package of sliced mushrooms, a packet of ranch dressing mix and a packet of mushroom gravy mix. When it was almost done I added a large bag of fresh spinach...served over mashed cauliflower...was AWESOME!!!!!! The 5 ingredient pot roast can't be beat and is in regular station rotation....pot roast, ranch mix, au jus mix, peperoncinis and a stick of butter. It's a fave of ALL!!!! You can have my crockpot when you pry it out of my cold, dead hand!
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I cooked creamy ranch chicken today in my crockpot, it has chicken , chicken broth, I use the whole can of 98% fat free, ranch packet, parsey and oregano. When its amost done you add 3oz. of cream cheese, 1/3 cup of milk and 2 teaspoons of corn starch and let it cook for 30 more minutes. Its really good, I have tweaked it alittle, I use boneless, skinless thighs. You can find recipe on shrinking kitchen, they have a category just for slow cookers.