How can crockpot recipes taste good?

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    It was frozen chicken, a jar of salsa, and some frozen corn. It tasted fabulous once I shredded the chicken and slapped that stuff on a tortilla.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    My chicken was frozen also, I also do frozen pork and beef roast in my crockpot, I have never had a problem. I will use thawed meat, I just dont always have it ready.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    the only thing i make in a crock pot is what i would already make in a stew pot the same way... it just takes longer in the crock pot and i dont have to stir it.

if i wouldnt already slow cook it on the stove top i dont try to cook it in the crock pot.

therefore i found after using it a number of times that it really made no sense for me to have it. so i rarely use it.

and even when i do i find the results less than impressive except in the cae of pork shoulder and beef stew.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    the only thing i make in a crock pot is what i would already make in a stew pot the same way... it just takes longer in the crock pot and i dont have to stir it.

if i wouldnt already slow cook it on the stove top i dont try to cook it in the crock pot.

therefore i found after using it a number of times that it really made no sense for me to have it. so i rarely use it.

and even when i do i find the results less than impressive except in the cae of pork shoulder and beef stew.

I think this would be me. I don't know, I like to taste and smell things as they cook, you have to make adjustments sometimes (or I do).
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I pretty much only use the stove top for my morning fried eggs. Never use my oven and don't own a microwave. I use my NuWave and Crock Pot ALL the time! Roasting/browning in the NuWave (even my morning bacon and toast to go with my eggs) other stuff in the crockpot. I have a crockpot at every station I work out of and will toss whatever ingredient sounds like it will fit my "craving of the day" in and by lunch/dinner I feed myself and my crew! Always tastes divine and is very "diet" friendly! Last shift I did 3#s chicken breast with a package of sliced mushrooms, a packet of ranch dressing mix and a packet of mushroom gravy mix. When it was almost done I added a large bag of fresh spinach...served over mashed cauliflower...was AWESOME!!!!!! The 5 ingredient pot roast can't be beat and is in regular station rotation....pot roast, ranch mix, au jus mix, peperoncinis and a stick of butter. It's a fave of ALL!!!! You can have my crockpot when you pry it out of my cold, dead hand!

"cold, dead hand!" Love it!! That's how I feel about mine. I'm totally gonna try some of your recipes too!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Even the foodies at Chowhound don't know what to do with it (see e.g. threads like "Why do my slow cooker recipes always taste bad?").

Note to self: don't ever bother with Chowhound, because those people have no idea how to cook.

One of the best things in a crock-pot sounds kinda nasty, but is AWESOME.

Boneless pork chops, sliced onions, a large/regular bottle of ketchup, and then that same ketchup bottle filled with water. It's apparently a Portuguese dish my wife's grandmother used to make. Use the "gravy" left over on some mashed potatoes, and I'm a happy man.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville combination cooker where you can sear meat in the pot and then add your ingredients right after it and slow-cook your dish - no extra pans necessary. I love this thing and have no idea of how I lived without it before. It also pressure cooks, too, and it's a rice cooker as well.

Best gift I ever received!

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1008036/Breville+Pressure+and+Slow+Cooker+

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    grlgemini wrote: »
    I used my crockpot overnight - last night. I made homemade chicken broth. I had roasted a whole chicken for dinner. So, I put the bones, celery, carrots, onion, thyme, and a bay leaf - covered with water overnight for 8 hours. So yummy!

I do the same with beef,bones,any meat left after trimming a roast.Use the same veggies in chicken broth.Double the bay leaf,add rosemary,thyme,black pepper & pinch of cinnamon.bring it to high heat in the eve,then on low all night.

Makes great veggie soup,& another fav is saving 2 C broth,then adding cabbage wedges,turnips carrots,celery & onion.This one is made in a cast iron pot using a slow oven.Soooo yummy.

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For a potluck luncheon on Saturday I put a 5# pork tenderloin in the crockpot and covered it with a slurry of: 2 cups frozen mixed berries, 1/2 red onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 c brown sugar and 1 cup balsamic vinegar with sea salt and black pepper to taste. By morning it was perfect for shredding and the 'gravy' was amazing. I served it "slider-style" on the little Hawaiian Sweet Rolls...a huge hit!!! Better than BBQ pork, and I heard comments like "depth of flavor" and "complex." I WAS hoping for leftovers, but no such luck. Food can be amazing in the crockpot!!!!
  • jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do a few recipes in the crockpot all the time. I make massive batches and then freeze. Fav is a A chicken casserole, heaps cut up veggies ie celery, mushies, carrots, tomatoes or a tin or two, chicken pieces, onions, garlic, chicken stock, might throw in a can of mushrooms, or a pack of french onion soup. brown chicken first and then cook for say 4 hours on high or more on low. yummo.. might make some tomorrow for my freezer. I have some chook to use up
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot of things in the crock pot. Its all about the seasoning you use when you cook it. I cook dried beans in the crock pot all the time because they just come out so much better. Chicken soup, lentil soup, pulled chicken. I did cook a whole chicken in the crock pot one time. i was not a fan of that at all.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This is super flammable, I'm sorry in advance.
    I honestly do not see how putting a raw onion in with a frozen chicken and a can of soup and cooking that for 8 hours can taste good.

If this is how you're slow cooking, you're doing it wrong and no wonder it tastes awful. I use my electric slow cooker and my big Le Creuset dutch oven pretty interchangeably and get great results.

I always season and brown meat before it goes into the slow cooker. And it's always thawed meat that's been warmed slightly at room temperature - so it really forms a nice golden crust. I don't use canned soups (except maybe stock on occasion). I also usually brown things like mushrooms, onions, and any root vegetables before they go into the pot. I use a lot of fresh herbs, wine, good quality beer, etc in my slow cooking.

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Its a kitchen tool, just like a saucepan. I wouldn't try to cook all of my food in a saucepan, so I also wouldn't assume I could cook all of my food in a crockpot.

Chicken breasts + a jar of salsa cooked on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours, then shredded is great chicken for quesadillas, tacos, burrito bowls, etc.

Beef roast (add Worcestershire, onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar, s&p) (4 hours high, 8 low) makes a great pot roast.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If "foodies" on a website don't know what to do with a slow cooker, they aren't really "foodies." I've seen professional chefs make everything from pulled pork to lasagna in a crock pot.

Sure it takes some prep, like any other cooking. The advantage of a crock pot is time. You can prep stuff the night before, assemble it, and toss the crock in the fridge. Next morning, pull the crock out, drop it in the cooker, turn it on, go to work. When you get home, dinner is ready to go.

It's also great for things that need time. Baked beans, prep them and let them go overnight in a crock pot. Heck, overnight oats for breakfast, let them run on low in a crock pot overnight for a nice warm breakfast.

Crock pot uses are endless.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Flammable?
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I make refried beans in mine. Well it's technically not refried but sure tastes like it and plus, you don't need to soak the beans, just let it soak and cook with sliced jalapeños, onions, chili powder, some cumin, garlic, onion powder, and chicken stock on low heat overnight. Then the next day, mash the beans with a bit of the stock solution. It's pretty good... Something simple like rice congee or soup is great for slow cookers.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    I make refried beans in mine. Well it's technically not refried but sure tastes like it and plus, you don't need to soak the beans, just let it soak and cook with sliced jalapeños, onions, chili powder, some cumin, garlic, onion powder, and chicken stock on low heat overnight. Then the next day, mash the beans with a bit of the stock solution. It's pretty good... Something simple like rice congee or soup is great for slow cookers.

that sounds good I'm going to have to steal that recipe!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    This topic won't die, lol. I don't cook this way, I've never touched a crockpot, I was thinking about maybe getting one, and I've read about how some people use them, it massively turned me off, I was curious about how crockpots could work ideally, turns out it would be the same as not using a crockpot if I did the same prep, which I would do, so I'm not getting a crockpot.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    This topic won't die, lol. I don't cook this way, I've never touched a crockpot, I was thinking about maybe getting one, and I've read about how some people use them, it massively turned me off, I was curious about how crockpots could work ideally, turns out it would be the same as not using a crockpot if I did the same prep, which I would do, so I'm not getting a crockpot.

I think you're confused. Of course you cook that way, or else you don't cook anything using a slow, moist heat method. Do you cook dry beans? Whether you use a crockpot or an oven or a stove eye, it's all the same. Ditto any cream of any vegetable soups. Chicken or beef or pork stock? Sure, you can use an oven or an eye, but you can also use a slow cooker.

Don't get a crockpot, you absolutely don't need one. Anything you can do with a crockpot, you can do without it.

The nice thing about the crockpot is for dishes where lower and slower is better, it is a really low heat that is consistent. And it is safe to put on and leave the house, which you shouldn't even do with the oven or stove on. But you don't need one.

I myself don't own a pressure cooker, because I prefer to use other methods to get the same results. Takes me longer, but I'm good with that for now. Maybe one day; my friends who have them rave about them.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If I bring out my crock pot more than once a week hubby gets suspicious. I like using it for stews, chili, and beans. The stew and the chili are even better the second day.

But I am slow baking my beans in the oven today in a clay pot.