why am i stuck at 297

Options

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I struggled at certain weights... I was on a VLCD (doctor supervised of course) and even with a VLCD and regular exercise I got stuck at 310 for two weeks! Around 260 I got stuck for a MONTH... I lost ONE POUND in the whole month while honestly eating at a deficit that should have yeilded an 8 pound loss. NOW at my current weight of 230 I am kind of in that "stuck" mode...Actually in EVERY previous weight loss attempt, I've ALWAYS gotten "stuck" at this weight and then given up... but NOT THIS TIME DAMN IT! It's frustrating, but if your calories are accurate and your exercise is accurate then just stay the course for another couple of weeks and the weight loss will start up again.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I struggled at certain weights... I was on a VLCD (doctor supervised of course) and even with a VLCD and regular exercise I got stuck at 310 for two weeks! Around 260 I got stuck for a MONTH... I lost ONE POUND in the whole month while honestly eating at a deficit that should have yeilded an 8 pound loss. NOW at my current weight of 230 I am kind of in that "stuck" mode...Actually in EVERY previous weight loss attempt, I've ALWAYS gotten "stuck" at this weight and then given up... but NOT THIS TIME DAMN IT! It's frustrating, but if your calories are accurate and your exercise is accurate then just stay the course for another couple of weeks and the weight loss will start up again.

Good post. I am stuck at 220 again just like in 2011 before I regained what I had lost. My age/health can not take any more yo yo dieting so I have to stay the course. Your post is encouraging.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    vahag718 wrote: »
    well this has become an argument on all sides. I guess the advice im going to take is get a heart rate monitor and be patient. Thanks for the help

Nope you missed the main point, but you see what you want to.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    One more thing. If you really are exercising everyday, sometimes you build muscle before you burn. I really like measurements along with exercise.

And that is meant to explain for the weight to not change? I doubt he's gone and put a pound of muscle on in a caloric deficit.

IsackGMOON many people lose fat and make muscle at the same time. As I posted I when many weeks and the scales did not change but I lost an inch in the waist and my double chin almost went away. People were telling me I looked better after losing weight and I had not lost a pound or gained a pound but I was getting stronger.

You can increase strength in a deficit.. but muscle, I'm not so sure.

I could be totally wrong here though. :\

It is most easy to do when one is starting with little muscle mass I expect. In my case I was in nutritional ketosis which is naturally muscle sparing plus when counting calories I realized I was quite low in protein after I learned I needed 30 grams three times a day to get good body repair of tissue.

No, you didn't build muscle in a deficit. You just increased strength lol.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    i weigh everything, i've been eating healthier ( cut off all junk food), and i have been doing cardio 135 hours per week. Here is my typical day....
    .For breakfast 3 egg whites and one tomato fried in 1 tbsp of canola oil (about 300 calories)
    .For lunch either a 6'' subway sub or a chicken salad only greens chicken and vinnegrette ( about 400/500 calories)
    .For dinner.. a 4 oz piece of fish and a small sweet potato or another salad
    .snacks- fruit and or sunflower seeds (70- 100 calories)
    - my workout is a 45 minute bike ride 3 times a week
    I see the word about a lot^^^^

And how long have you been at 297?
    1500-2000 calories is a big range. You when it is people give a range like that? Whenjoy they are guessing.
    i am not guessing somedays i just don't feel like eating as much because i have manic depression

This account seems less and less legit each with each post.

My brother has bipolar. That's what it's called, not manic depression.

Just so you know, sunshine.

Actually it used to be called manic depressive disorder. If you have an "old school" psychiatrist it is very possible they used that term in the diagnosis and not bipolar. There are also different types of bipolar. Just because your brother was diagnosed with it does not make you an expert on someone else's mental health. It is incredibly offensive to say an account "looks less legit" because they state they have a mental health issue. I am sure you wouldn't be happy if someone said that to your brother, so why say it to someone else? No one is forcing you to read the thread and no one asked if you thought they were legit.

Sorry, I'll jump off my soap box now. I just can't stand the negative stigma that mental health issues have, and comments like that do not help.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will make it short! First ignore anyone who will make derogatory remarks about someone's medical problems. If you are weighing everyday then I suggest you weight once a week. I prefer to weight every 30 days since I am not on a weight loss diet but rather a healthy life style regimen. I suggest that from this point onward take a look at all aspects of your life style as a total person and not just someone wanting to lose weight. It is often referred to here as a journey and I suggest that you do the same if you are not doing it now. It should be a journey with no end because getting healthy and staying healthy is a life time effort. The MFP program provides all the tools needed to do just that but it takes a little time and work.

The best to you
  • megaaussieftw
    megaaussieftw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat 1500 cals. Sure you will be hungry but if it says you need 2000cals to maintain weight take 500cals off the 2000cals and still do your workouts. Don't eat the exercising lose. If you burn 500cals during workouts plus the other 500cal difecit you should be -1000cal + each day. That is if you're weighing food right and measuring cals right. If its not working remove another 200cals less. Maybe you're miscalculating so the 200cals less will cover that. Drink lots of water, I drink atleast 4lts a day. Will get excess water weight off and give you a better understanding of the actual weight you are. Also weigh yourself daily. Will give you motivation when you see the weight start dropping off. Have you been lossing weight for a long time then it has stop suddenly?
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    Eat 1500 cals. Sure you will be hungry but if it says you need 2000cals to maintain weight take 500cals off the 2000cals and still do your workouts. Don't eat the exercising lose. If you burn 500cals during workouts plus the other 500cal difecit you should be -1000cal + each day. That is if you're weighing food right and measuring cals right. If its not working remove another 200cals less. Maybe you're miscalculating so the 200cals less will cover that. Drink lots of water, I drink atleast 4lts a day. Will get excess water weight off and give you a better understanding of the actual weight you are. Also weigh yourself daily. Will give you motivation when you see the weight start dropping off. Have you been lossing weight for a long time then it has stop suddenly?

wtf???? This is a 300 pound man who is not in a coma.. His maintainence is likely around 3600 calories!

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

Please don't follow this advice.

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

ditto^^^ Gaah, so much misinformation on this thread it is killing me!

OP - Beyond what others have said about accuracy, weighing and measuring food properly, having patience, understanding the sometimes non-linear road of weight loss, etc...I do question the calorie allotment that you have.

I am a 155 pound woman (having lost nearly 95 pounds in 3 years), I am 5'9 and moderately active. My maintenance calories are 2400. My deficit calories to lose approx .75 pound per week is 2000. My instinct tells me that you are not eating enough and you need to get more accurate with calculating your TDEE and calorie requirements. There is a thread somewhere along the lines of 'your guide to sexy pants'...perhaps someone here can link it for you?

The weight loss/fitness journey is a long way with many bumps in the road - be your own advocate and RESEARCH these forums for sagely, experienced and knowledgeable advice. It does exist...unfortunately not alot of it on your thread :\
  • madrose0715
    Options
    here is the link (by the way, the author is someone who after spending a few years reading these forums is someone that I believe knows what he is actually talking about):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Missjulesdid
    Options

OP - Beyond what others have said about accuracy, weighing and measuring food properly, having patience, understanding the sometimes non-linear road of weight loss, etc...I do question the calorie allotment that you have.

I am a 155 pound woman (having lost nearly 95 pounds in 3 years), I am 5'9 and moderately active. My maintenance calories are 2400. My deficit calories to lose approx .75 pound per week is 2000. My instinct tells me that you are not eating enough and you need to get more accurate with calculating your TDEE and calorie requirements. There is a thread somewhere along the lines of 'your guide to sexy pants'...perhaps someone here can link it for you?

The weight loss/fitness journey is a long way with many bumps in the road - be your own advocate and RESEARCH these forums for sagely, experienced and knowledgeable advice. It does exist...unfortunately not alot of it on your thread :\

sexypants has already been linked somewhere in this thread

• madrose0715
    Options

sexypants has already been linked somewhere in this thread

oops...sorry about that!

OP - PLEASE refer to that link. You will find alot of actionable direction from that guide and then you will need to decide for yourself what to do with the information.
  • Missjulesdid
    Options
    AWESOME! I just got flagged for abuse for disagreeing with someone. My therapist will be so proud!!!!!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Actual dehydration has an impact on metabolism. That might be one issue. Another might be any medications you are taking for bipolar disorder (& dehydration is medically dangerous if you are taking lithium).
  • megaaussieftw
    Options

Why do you say don't follow the advice. It will work, do you not agree? His goal is to lose weight, he isn't doing so as his body has adapted to his new weight or over feeding for a calorie. If his currently calorie intake isn't working he is taking to much food in for his metabolism. He can just try it for 1 week. What advice I gave isn't bad, people do water fasts for months and lose tons of weight. 1400-1500 per day isn't that much if his maintance intake is 2000. Its just advice which I know works for me and I am 6'2, weighed 288lbs, now I weigh 234. But he can do whatever he wants. Good luck with the weight loss
  • megaaussieftw
    Options

wtf???? This is a 300 pound man who is not in a coma.. His maintainence is likely around 3600 calories!

He will live don't worry, 300 pounds of fluid and fat. If he isn't losing weight at 2000cals he either is still eating about his calorie intake or has a medical issue. Just trial it for a week. Keep fluids aka water intake up and eat only 1500 cals and continue exercising like he has. Its only advice and it has worked for me and I am fine health wise apart from my bmi. Just advice.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Why do you say don't follow the advice. It will work, do you not agree? His goal is to lose weight, he isn't doing so as his body has adapted to his new weight or over feeding for a calorie. If his currently calorie intake isn't working he is taking to much food in for his metabolism. He can just try it for 1 week. What advice I gave isn't bad, people do water fasts for months and lose tons of weight. 1400-1500 per day isn't that much if his maintance intake is 2000. Its just advice which I know works for me and I am 6'2, weighed 288lbs, now I weigh 234. But he can do whatever he wants. Good luck with the weight loss

His BMR is 2700, so even at sedentary his TDEE would be 3240. Safe weight loss would be no more than 1000 calories off what MFP uses as his maintenance, which will be quite a bit more than 1500.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Yes, it may work. But is there any point of your diet being detrimental to your health? Fairly ironic, don't you agree?