Should I try less than 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Eat exactly 1200 and stop cheating on the weekends; weigh/measure and log absolutely everything. That way you should start losing the weight. I know it's a lot of effort but that's the only way to make it work IMHO.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I measure my food, like by cups in measuring cups and I don't know how different that is from weighing it? is there a major difference so much that I have to go out and buy a food scale?

Measuring cups are for liquids. If you are using them to weigh solids (like cheese, grains, ect), you could easily be overeating and not realizing it. It's also difficult to know a proper serving of pasta without a scale as well.

Food scales are less than $30, and it will greatly help your ability to track your intake better.

i disagree with some of you on this, there are 2 types of measuring cups, one that comes with little lines down the side of it and thats for liquids and the other that usually comes stacked one in the other and thats for solids like flour, sugar ect... I will think about the food scale but after the gym membership, the portable water bottles, the gym clothes and shoes, the pedometer, the dumbells, the resistance bands, the fitness apps... all things that people told me I NEEDED, I'm a little out of cash on things that people keep telling me I NEED. No one has ever lost wieght without a food scale?

Food scale should come first... you should be weighing solids even in baking.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The food scale is cheap on Amazon. You can probably get a used one even cheaper. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I measure my food, like by cups in measuring cups and I don't know how different that is from weighing it? is there a major difference so much that I have to go out and buy a food scale?

Measuring cups are for liquids. If you are using them to weigh solids (like cheese, grains, ect), you could easily be overeating and not realizing it. It's also difficult to know a proper serving of pasta without a scale as well.

Food scales are less than $30, and it will greatly help your ability to track your intake better.

i disagree with some of you on this, there are 2 types of measuring cups, one that comes with little lines down the side of it and thats for liquids and the other that usually comes stacked one in the other and thats for solids like flour, sugar ect... I will think about the food scale but after the gym membership, the portable water bottles, the gym clothes and shoes, the pedometer, the dumbells, the resistance bands, the fitness apps... all things that people told me I NEEDED, I'm a little out of cash on things that people keep telling me I NEED. No one has ever lost wieght without a food scale?

Of course people have lost weight without using food scales... but when you aren't losing weight, isn't it natural to try and fix the reason why you're not losing? The first place (and most obvious) to look is at your calorie consumption. Since measuring is not accurate, the suggestion would be to get as accurate as possible so you know exactly what's going in.
  • Travellatorvictim
    Options
    Can you borrow a scale from a friend for a week or so. It would be a worthwhile exercise to compare what you would normally consider the right amount to what a scale says and see if you are right. You could mark your cups with the accurate amount if the budget really doesnt allow, or hit the garage/car boot sales for a cheap second hand one IF you found your readings really arent as accurate as you would like. Ultimately, something is not working for you, and something has to change. Do what you have always done, you get what you always got.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i don't see anything wrong with it as you do it rarely. but this can be harmful in a regular basis
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

I've lost 26 pounds eating what I think is 1200 calories a day without a food scale. I've asked for one for Christmas because I'm going to need to tighten up on my logging to get rid of the rest.

That said, I was 180 28 days ago and I'm currently 174. I've only had two days when I went off the rails (Thanksgiving + day after). Maybe getting rid of the idea of the cheat day would help you?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I just weighed 1 cup of oats with a "solid" food measuring cup. 1 cup should weigh 80 g....it weighed 93g. That comes out to about an additional 48 calories that doesn't get logged in a single meal.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on getting a food scale, but the first thing that popped out to me is that you say you're "lax" on the weekends. Depending on how your goals are set and how small your deficit is, it's entirely possible that you're undoing your deficit with two cheat days a week. I would start logging those, even if you go over, just to see what they're doing to your weekly calories.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Simple tools of measuring will go a long way on this journey ..food scale #1
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I've been at this for nine months, and I can assure you, the food scale was pivotal in this. People can lose without a scale, but that is because they are eating at a deficit. If you are at a standstill, you aren't. If you want accurate food logs, it is going to weigh things down to the gram for you, and you can have 100% confidence in your calorie logs for the day. With the measuring cups, things like flour and sugar are fine. But if you are trying to weigh oats, beans, tofu, ect, you are not going to get accurate results. They are not ground down fine like flour and sugar is, and you cannot level those off accurately in a measuring cup. Someone also provided an example of this with their measuring cup measurement being inaccurate.

People like me have been at this forever, and we can tell you what you need here on the site. All you listed above are great tools to invest in and have. Weight loss and maintenance isn't always inexpensive, but investing your money into the right tools can help you hit your goals and keep at them once you reach them.

My food scale was only $24 at Walmart (I got the Biggest Loser one), but they have smaller ones and ones with less add-ons for far less there as well.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got my scale at Walmart for $10. Best $10 I ever spent. Once your deficit is 250 calories or under a day, eyeballing and measuring cups just will not give you the precision you need.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I've been at this for nine months, and I can assure you, the food scale was pivotal in this. People can lose without a scale, but that is because they are eating at a deficit. If you are at a standstill, you aren't. If you want accurate food logs, it is going to weigh things down to the gram for you, and you can have 100% confidence in your calorie logs for the day. With the measuring cups, things like flour and sugar are fine. But if you are trying to weigh oats, beans, tofu, ect, you are not going to get accurate results. They are not ground down fine like flour and sugar is, and you cannot level those off accurately in a measuring cup. Someone also provided an example of this with their measuring cup measurement being inaccurate.

People like me have been at this forever, and we can tell you what you need here on the site. All you listed above are great tools to invest in and have. Weight loss and maintenance isn't always inexpensive, but investing your money into the right tools can help you hit your goals and keep at them once you reach them.

My food scale was only $24 at Walmart (I got the Biggest Loser one), but they have smaller ones and ones with less add-ons for far less there as well.

Yep this. Lost 121 pounds using a scale and still using it now and for a long time.
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm creeping on this thread, and for those of you who use a food scale, what do you do at restaurants? This is where I really get lost, personally. I end up having to eat lunch out a lot, though its all super, super healthy stuff, usually off of a paleo food truck with meals that are 100% organic, grass-fed, all minimally processed meats and veggies, but I have no way of knowing how much of anything I'm getting. Its better quality food than I would make for myself, but I KNOW my calorie count is off. What to do?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ColdPlum wrote: »
    I'm creeping on this thread, and for those of you who use a food scale, what do you do at restaurants? This is where I really get lost, personally. I end up having to eat lunch out a lot, though its all super, super healthy stuff, usually off of a paleo food truck with meals that are 100% organic, grass-fed, all minimally processed meats and veggies, but I have no way of knowing how much of anything I'm getting. Its better quality food than I would make for myself, but I KNOW my calorie count is off. What to do?

I estimate usually on the higher side, unless they have their nutrition listed then I use that.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find a cheap digital scale most useful for measuring foods that don't measure well in a cup, like pasta, meats, and vegetables. Pasta is the most important for me, as it's full of calories and I always underestimate portions.

Unlike others, I am not maniacal about weighing everything. I do not weigh individual serving size packaged foods (packaged bagel, sliced bread, half and half container, granola bars, canned soup, etc.). I do not weigh peanut butter, butter, jam, or any other condiment. I do not weigh a taco from Taco Bell. :expressionless: However, since I am not a vegetarian, part of my weight loss has come from adding more protein (meat) to my diet and eating less carbs.

If you won't weigh your food, you could eat more packaged, pre-portioned foods for a couple weeks to see if that helps (Trader Joe's frozen meals, for instance). That way, you would know that it's mismeasuring that is the problem, not some underlying health problem.

19507081.png
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    ColdPlum wrote: »

If the restaurant has nutritional information, I'll divide up my plate based on how much I want to eat that evening and overestimate a bit to compensate for my dividing/boxing the rest not being 100% accurate. Or, just not give a diddly darn and remember that it's only one day, and it won't derail me. I prefer option two when I go out and there's something good on the menu! But I still try to eat until I'm satisfied, and within reason.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    I find a cheap digital scale most useful for measuring foods that don't measure well in a cup, like pasta, meats, and vegetables. Pasta is the most important for me, as it's full of calories and I always underestimate portions.

Unlike others, I am not maniacal about weighing everything. I do not weigh individual serving size packaged foods (packaged bagel, sliced bread, half and half container, granola bars, canned soup, etc.). I do not weigh peanut butter, butter, jam, or any other condiment. I do not weigh a taco from Taco Bell. :expressionless: However, since I am not a vegetarian, part of my weight loss has come from adding more protein (meat) to my diet and eating less carbs.

If you won't weigh your food, you could eat more packaged, pre-portioned foods for a couple weeks to see if that helps (Trader Joe's frozen meals, for instance). That way, you would know that it's mismeasuring that is the problem, not some underlying health problem.

19507081.png
    It is important to watch out for condiments too; peanut butter can easily put you over a hundred calories more than expected if not weighed out. I learned that when I first got my scale. What I thought was a serving was actually two. Prepacked stuff though doesn't need to be weighed generally, though. And a couple of us addressed the restaurant stuff, too. It's all about being accurate in your calorie logs, because being a little off on things throughout the day or week can sometimes lead to being way over than expected, and cause you to eat more than you think you are.

I also wouldn't use the word "manical" to describe people who use food scales. There are a good majority of us on that fully advocate them and have used them with great results.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, the food scale will have you ending up with more calories a lot. Once in a while, it will show you that you're estimating higher than needed, but usually, it will turn out that estimated too low.

Of course you can lose without a food scale. Millions of people have and millions more will. But if your plan is to count calories, an accurate total is best. Why bother counting if you're not counting as accurately as you can, you know?

If you really don't want to weigh, you need to drop your calorie goal lower than whatever it is. Try dropping the daily total 100 calories each week until you start losing. Get to a point where you're losing. If you think you're eating 900, but you're actually eating 1280, who cares? It's still losing. :)
  • Irifeing
    Options
    I would consider adding more exercise as well as looking at what are you eating on weekends. When you workout you may not burn as much as you think, if you cannot increase exercise time then try to increase intensity: move faster or/and lift more. Hope that helps.