Should I try less than 1200 calories a day?

Options
I have been at 180 pounds for four weeks now, I haven't lost a pound, everytime I do by the end of the week its back on again. Really I have been at 180 for two years now. I eat 1200-1400 cals a day, I exercise 45min minimum 5 days a week. I have lax days on the weekend, but since I have followed a vegetarian diet for 10 years now, that still includes fruits, veggies, beans and things like tofu. I usually only eat 1400-1500 cals a day, on a normal day. But I have read that in order to lose weight you should cut out 500 cals a day, but that would put me at or below 1000 cals which most people say not to do. I'm confused, what am I doing wrong? What if my body needs to be at 1000 cals a day because its so used to being at 1400? Is that still considered unhealthy? I would appreciate any help. Thank you!

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    no, 1000 is too low. don't know why you're not losing on 1200-1400 calories though. if you really usually only eat 1400-1500 calories a day, you really shouldn't be 180 pounds to begin with.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Look at source/ratio of carbs, fats and proteins.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Are you weighing solid foods and measuring liquids?
    Have you been tested for hypothyroidism or PCOS?

And to your original question, No. The further you get below 1200 the more you risk not getting adequate nutrition. Not getting enough nutrients in can wreck your insides.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If not, you're eating more than you think. Whether you're a vegetarian or not, it comes down to eating less than you burn.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Go to the getting started boards and check out the sexy pants forum. Also, check your logging. Most people who aren't losing weight are not logging accurately. Get a food scale and weigh your food...i think there's a thread on logging accurately in the getting started boards as well.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, you should not.

You can be vegetarian and still be eating more than you think. Weigh and log your food everyday, as accurately as possible.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    if anything, i think it's easier to overeat as a vegetarian. bread and pasta has tons of empty calories.
  • tentaclegirl
    tentaclegirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I measure my food, like by cups in measuring cups and I don't know how different that is from weighing it? is there a major difference so much that I have to go out and buy a food scale?
  • tentaclegirl
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    no, 1000 is too low. don't know why you're not losing on 1200-1400 calories though. if you really usually only eat 1400-1500 calories a day, you really shouldn't be 180 pounds to begin with.

tell that to my fat belly :expressionless:
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Oh and don't use "homemade - " entries in the database, chances are the calorie counts are extremely off. If you make a homemade dish, use the recipe builder to get the correct calories for how you made it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I measure my food, like by cups in measuring cups and I don't know how different that is from weighing it? is there a major difference so much that I have to go out and buy a food scale?

It's surprisingly different. Invest in a food scale... it is SO worth it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

This is why you aren't losing weight. Measuring food with cups and spoons is not accurate. You NEED to weigh your food in order to know how many calories you are consuming.

ETA: < 1000 calorie diets should only be followed when under supervision of a medical doctor.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Measuring cups are for liquids. If you are using them to weigh solids (like cheese, grains, ect), you could easily be overeating and not realizing it. It's also difficult to know a proper serving of pasta without a scale as well.

Food scales are less than $30, and it will greatly help your ability to track your intake better.

• shadow2soul
    Options

huge difference.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Look at source/ratio of carbs, fats and proteins.

Has nothing to do with weight loss.

OP....more then likely you are eating more then you think.

Get digital food scale and weigh all solid foods and use measuring cups for liquids only!!

Good luck.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing solid foods and measuring liquids?
    Have you been tested for hypothyroidism or PCOS?

And to your original question, No. The further you get below 1200 the more you risk not getting adequate nutrition. Not getting enough nutrients in can wreck your insides.
    mfp needs a like button :smile:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Yep. Your cup may not be the same as the manufacturer's cup. Going by weight is always the best bet.
  • tentaclegirl
    Options

Measuring cups are for liquids. If you are using them to weigh solids (like cheese, grains, ect), you could easily be overeating and not realizing it. It's also difficult to know a proper serving of pasta without a scale as well.

Food scales are less than $30, and it will greatly help your ability to track your intake better.

i disagree with some of you on this, there are 2 types of measuring cups, one that comes with little lines down the side of it and thats for liquids and the other that usually comes stacked one in the other and thats for solids like flour, sugar ect... I will think about the food scale but after the gym membership, the portable water bottles, the gym clothes and shoes, the pedometer, the dumbells, the resistance bands, the fitness apps... all things that people told me I NEEDED, I'm a little out of cash on things that people keep telling me I NEED. No one has ever lost wieght without a food scale?
  • blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    From reading this thread - invest in a food scale. That was one of my best purchases this year. It's the only way I can accurately log anything.