Calculating calories in special situations..?

Options
I'm making pot roast tonight, to please the masses here at home, but I try not to eat meat. Typically, when I make this recipe, I'll have all the veggies I've prepared with the broth that comes off the roast.

So if I cook this broth off the roast, and when I eat, I scoop up everything but the actual meat, how should I calculate those calories? 'Cause I'm adding in the ingredients on a recipe page here now, and I've *included* the meat in the recipe (and so in the calories and such as well), but I'm not sure if I should be. Should I just figure out how much broth will be in the entire dish, and plug that into this recipe *instead* of the roast itself?

(I'm sorry, I'm probably making this more complicated for myself than it needs to be, so thanks so much in advance for your help).

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Unless you're veggie, there's no reason to not eat the pot roast as well. Otherwise just log the cooked veggies you will eat. The broth is unlikely to be all that many extra calories, just come in under if you're worried.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm making pot roast tonight, to please the masses here at home, but I try not to eat meat. Typically, when I make this recipe, I'll have all the veggies I've prepared with the broth that comes off the roast.

So if I cook this broth off the roast, and when I eat, I scoop up everything but the actual meat, how should I calculate those calories? 'Cause I'm adding in the ingredients on a recipe page here now, and I've *included* the meat in the recipe (and so in the calories and such as well), but I'm not sure if I should be. Should I just figure out how much broth will be in the entire dish, and plug that into this recipe *instead* of the roast itself?

(I'm sorry, I'm probably making this more complicated for myself than it needs to be, so thanks so much in advance for your help).

I would just leave the meat out of the recipe, and maybe add an entry in for beef stock (even if you don't use it).
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Unless you're veggie, there's no reason to not eat the pot roast as well. Otherwise just log the cooked veggies you will eat. The broth is unlikely to be all that many extra calories, just come in under if you're worried.
    I try to eat vegetarian, I just cook meat in my dishes to please everyone else at home, haha.
    I would just leave the meat out of the recipe, and maybe add an entry in for beef stock (even if you don't use it).
    Do you think I should add beef stock or beef broth? I don't really know the difference between the two.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I try to eat vegetarian, I just cook meat in my dishes to please everyone else at home, haha.
    Do you think I should add beef stock or beef broth? I don't really know the difference between the two.

They are essentially the same, but I think broth is a seasoned form of stock.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I was taught that the difference between broth and stock is that stock is simmered with bones in the liquid, whereas broth is not simmered with bones. There are other sources that say differently and I can't seem to find a general consensus. For both beef broth and stock I have seen nutritional information that puts the calories at anywhere from 10 calories a cup to 30 calories a cup. So use that information how you want :)
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stock is made from boiling the bones to get at all of the marrow. Broth is made from the meat.

I forgot to mention that i make both homemade and can them. Can't really tell you the nutritional difference but the stock is clearer and the broth always ends up with a layer of sediment on the bottom (meat particles that i don't strain out very well) and a layer of fat on top. That fat is what makes it taste so good. The fat is also better for helping homemade gravies thicken. The stock is better for thin soups.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    I was taught that the difference between broth and stock is that stock is simmered with bones in the liquid, whereas broth is not simmered with bones. There are other sources that say differently and I can't seem to find a general consensus. For both beef broth and stock I have seen nutritional information that puts the calories at anywhere from 10 calories a cup to 30 calories a cup. So use that information how you want :)
    As few calories as I've been getting since I've been actually paying attention to my food and not mindlessly snacking on fudge and cookies, it wouldn't have made a huge difference to my count whether it was 10 or 30 calories a cup, but that's still good to know, especially if I ever make my roast/roast soup on a calorie-tight day.
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Stock is made from boiling the bones to get at all of the marrow. Broth is made from the meat.

I forgot to mention that i make both homemade and can them. Can't really tell you the nutritional difference but the stock is clearer and the broth always ends up with a layer of sediment on the bottom (meat particles that i don't strain out very well) and a layer of fat on top. That fat is what makes it taste so good. The fat is also better for helping homemade gravies thicken. The stock is better for thin soups.
    Then what I got was definitely broth - what's leftover is in the fridge, and there's the particles in the bottom of the tupperware and a nice layer of fatty or oily stuff floating at the top.

Thank you, everyone, for this information!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a jerk here, but how can broth cooked from meat be "vegetarian"?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »

I just quoted this to come back to it later. I made Sausage Tortellini tonight and strained the fat and should have kept it, frozen it, and made gravy. Fart nuggets; well next time I'll remember.

• KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I don't mean to be a jerk here, but how can broth cooked from meat be "vegetarian"?
    On a technical level, I suppose it's not, but I'm a fan of one-pot meals and I do most of the cooking for three other meat-eaters, so I try to come as close as I can. On another level, I wonder if it can *legitimately* be considered vegetarian in the same way milk and eggs are - it's not technically meat (but it does come directly from the meat, unlike milk and eggs, so anyone can argue it to be either way).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't satisfy a strict vegetarian, but people have different reasons for being vegetarian. If you're anti- eating animals, then you probably won't touch food cooked in beef broth. If your reasons are more health- or taste-related, then you might. Everyone's different. Judge not and all that.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    It wouldn't satisfy a strict vegetarian, but people have different reasons for being vegetarian. If you're anti- eating animals, then you probably won't touch food cooked in beef broth. If your reasons are more health- or taste-related, then you might. Everyone's different. Judge not and all that.
    Thank you! That is what I like to see. "Vegetarian" does not always mean "ethical vegetarian". Sometimes it just means "dieting" or "I dunno, I just felt like having complicated standards" (i.e., me).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Hehe, don't get me started on complicated. I pretty much define the word.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's so nice of you to cook meat for your family even though you don't eat it. :)

I'd log the berries a tablespoon or two of the broth (or whatever it is, lol.)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's so nice of you to cook meat for your family even though you don't eat it. :)
    You ever hear the adage, "When Mom's on a diet, everyone's on a diet"? I try *not* to epitomize that. My husband is very grateful, because his mother was one of those who put everyone else on a diet when she was on one.