Blood panel - what should I get?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So I'm going to be seeing my doc on Weds., and asking for a blood panel.

What types of things should I make sure are measured? There is a history of thyroid issues in the family. I'm also lifting and would like to make sure my testosterone is where it needs to be.

My doc is pretty damn open, so as long as I have a logical reason for a request, he's been excellent about being amenable after discussion.

ETA - Also, I placed it here in this subforum, because I'd like to make sure it captures data on any parameters that are important for strength/muscle development, overall athletic performance, and then as a tertiary focus, nutrition/health related like thyroid.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The standard panel should be enough, unless you suspect something isn't normal. You can rule out thyroid issues with Free T3, Free T4, and TSH.
    If you're curious, you could monitor C-reactive protein and Creatine Kinase, to keep tabs on inflammation & muscle damage.
    Testing vitamin D during winter is a good idea.
    Not sure it applies, but some of our forum members could use a psych test. B)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The standard panel should be enough, unless you suspect something isn't normal. You can rule out thyroid issues with Free T3, Free T4, and TSH.
    If you're curious, you could monitor C-reactive protein and Creatine Kinase, to keep tabs on inflammation & muscle damage.
    LOL, I know I don't need one of those... I'm mentally touched.

Noted, the T3, T4, and TSH.
    I'm not familiar with C-reactive protein or the role of Creatine Kinase, so I'll do some reading of them.
    The Vit D is a good thing to match, but I'm taking 10k IU daily of it.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I remember a book I read years ago called " Eat to Win" -- for some reason it sticks in my mind that the author recommended having your uric acid level checked... I thought of this when I saw your post.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    LOL, I know I don't need one of those... I'm mentally touched.

Noted, the T3, T4, and TSH.
    I'm not familiar with C-reactive protein or the role of Creatine Kinase, so I'll do some reading of them.
    The Vit D is a good thing to match, but I'm taking 10k IU daily of it.

DO NOT TRAIN HEAVY for about a week prior to your test. If you do your doc will freak at the results.
  • dbmata
    Options
    This is happening Weds. I already trained heavy today.
    LOL.
    Damn, so what data error should I expect to see?
  • feralX
    Options
    High creatine kinase and C-reactive protein. If you were training strength you might be ok. If you did lots of volume and failure training they will be very high. While back I wasn't thinking and killed my legs before testing. Lots of red flags, doc was not impressed.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    CK will likely be falsely elevated due to the destruction of muscle tissue caused by the workout. Same with CRP.

A general panel should be fine, unless you have specific concerns. I like to check on my liver and kidneys once in a while. Along with thyroid.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Roger that. Today was a hard session, but strength focused. Monday should be strength. Tuesday should be strength. Thurs-Fri are planned for volume.

Would strength training likely impact any numbers for liver function tests?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question, I hadn't considered. I can see it being in the realm of possibility though, considering everything the liver filters through.
  • dbmata
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    That's an interesting question, I hadn't considered. I can see it being in the realm of possibility though, considering everything the liver filters through.
    The reason for the stabbin' is we need to establish a baseline for liver function thanks to a super-fun antibiotic I'm on right now.
  • feralX
    Options
    Kidneys are the concern. I don't believe liver was affected, but I could be off here. I wouldn't continue training until after Wednesday, my doc wants no training for one week prior.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Then he might not have on of his assassins risk their lives by going after me with a needle until I've had a short rest period.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No it doesn't apply to dbmata, and anyways even if it did, there are plenty of MFP armchair psychologists to diagnose, well, EVERYTHING! I've seen it all on these boards.

DB i just got my bloodwork done and was surprised. Caught a couple things early enough to fix with diet, glad you are doing this.
  • dbmata
    Options

No it doesn't apply to dbmata, and anyways even if it did, there are plenty of MFP armchair psychologists to diagnose, well, EVERYTHING! I've seen it all on these boards.

DB i just got my bloodwork done and was surprised. Caught a couple things early enough to fix with diet, glad you are doing this.

Yeah, hopefully we'll find any factors I need to address quickly. I look forward to getting the data.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Yeah, hopefully we'll find any factors I need to address quickly. I look forward to getting the data.
    Call ahead for instructions if ur thinking of getting ur sug ars ckd becos that had to be fasted. Dont wanna get poked twice if u don't have to.
  • dbmata
    Options

Call ahead for instructions if ur thinking of getting ur sug ars ckd becos that had to be fasted. Dont wanna get poked twice if u don't have to.
    Ah yes, that would take me back to this one time in college. Wait... nvm.

I already planned to go fasted, just in case. The appoint is at 3pm, so no biggy.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    TSH, Hemogram, Lipid and CMP (Complete metabolic Pannel). I would skip the testosterone unless you have valid reasoning. (From a Lab Tech)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Next time I go in, I want my vitamin levels and fasting glucose levels checked - so if you can do that, I would. Lipid panel, TSH, CMP.
  • dbmata
    Options
    robynrae_1 wrote: »
    TSH, Hemogram, Lipid and CMP (Complete metabolic Pannel). I would skip the testosterone unless you have valid reasoning. (From a Lab Tech)
    I'm 35, training hard, and want to make sure I'm not being held back by existing levels, and not a candidate for TRT.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Ah yes, that would take me back to this one time in college. Wait... nvm.

I already planned to go fasted, just in case. The appoint is at 3pm, so no biggy.
    well- were you under a great deal of stress at this one time in college??