crossfit

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
This thread is for sharing actual experiences with Crossfit.

If you have not participated in an actual Crossfit workout in an actual Crossfit affiliate, please move along...this post is not for you.

Tonight is class 5 of the 6-class on-ramp for me. So far, so good. Will definitely be signing up for the regular classes.

Replies

• kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Good on ya! Glad you're sticking with it!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I am psyched for you! So glad you decided to give it a shot.

Next week will be six months for me; I'm getting my measurements taken. I can't wait to see how they compare to my first week.

I've met several personal goals in the class, and I've set new ones. I'm constantly challenged, never bored. I have made some friends there, too. The whole experience has been very positive for me.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am a devotee of Crossfit. I love it. Been going for about a year and a half. I'm so much stronger now, and I have a new love for weight lifting! I had never touched a barbell in my life before joining, and now I can lift as much as some of the guys. :) I don't even freak out any more when we do huge workouts like Murph! (I just wish I could love burpees...still don't like 'em).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I am a devotee of Crossfit. I love it. Been going for about a year and a half. I'm so much stronger now, and I have a new love for weight lifting! I had never touched a barbell in my life before joining, and now I can lift as much as some of the guys. :) I don't even freak out any more when we do huge workouts like Murph! (I just wish I could love burpees...still don't like 'em).
    burpees-1.jpg
  • mylast5lbs
    mylast5lbs Posts: 25
    Options
    You'll get hooked. It's difficult (if not impossible) to reach the level of intensity of crossfitting on your own. The atmosphere is awesome and the WOD's are insane. Best of luck.
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm only about 8 weeks in on CF, but I do love it. I do get a little queasy before I go, wondering what the WOD is and how hard it will kick my butt, but I'm always glad I went (even when the WOD ends with me gasping on the floor). There have been several for-time WODS where I really just wanted to quit. As soon s I stop to catch my breath, a coach usually starts a 10 second verbal count down followed by "pick up the barbell, etc." They know I'm completely capable of finishing, even when I don't. I've never been dead last because I'm still increasing my weight load, but I do love that the whole gym stays and supports whoever is last. My weight hasn't changed much, if at all, but every week someone asks me how much weight I've lost.

My coaches are great! I'm 52 so RX;ing a WOD is a ways down the road for me, if I ever do, but they are great at scaling.

Oh, and I got my handstand push up last week!!!! :heart: :heart: Pull ups are next!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm only about 8 weeks in on CF, but I do love it. I do get a little queasy before I go, wondering what the WOD is and how hard it will kick my butt, but I'm always glad I went (even when the WOD ends with me gasping on the floor). There have been several for-time WODS where I really just wanted to quit. As soon s I stop to catch my breath, a coach usually starts a 10 second verbal count down followed by "pick up the barbell, etc." They know I'm completely capable of finishing, even when I don't. I've never been dead last because I'm still increasing my weight load, but I do love that the whole gym stays and supports whoever is last. My weight hasn't changed much, if at all, but every week someone asks me how much weight I've lost.

My coaches are great! I'm 52 so RX;ing a WOD is a ways down the road for me, if I ever do, but they are great at scaling.

Oh, and I got my handstand push up last week!!!! :heart: :heart: Pull ups are next!

I got totally smoked during todays WOD. The main part of it was 5 rounds for time of 5 manmakers, with 200m run. But this was all following 15 minutes of strict shoulder presses and decline, weighted pushups! My arms were (and still are!) jelly. But the fact that the class encouraged me, and one of them ran my last 200m with me to push me through was awesome!

Still not there with handstand pushups yet, and i'm horrible with my kipping so no pullups yet, but I'm still working at it. I haven't lost much weight either, but my clothes are all fitting so much better, so that's a huge accomplishment right there
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it's pretty awesome. I like it because I am getting fantastic results without spending oodles of time in the gym. 1hr or less/day 3-4 days/week. That's it. Of course, you can do more if you want. I'm thinking of going for 4-5 days/wk for the summer.

What's your favorite part so far, Jof?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Seriously, it's pretty awesome. I like it because I am getting fantastic results without spending oodles of time in the gym. 1hr or less/day 3-4 days/week. That's it. Of course, you can do more if you want. I'm thinking of going for 4-5 days/wk for the summer.

What's your favorite part so far, Jof?

My favorite part so far is the excellent coaching.

The trainer who has been leading our on-ramp classes has been remarkably good at explaining/demonstrating/correcting proper form. He did more to fix my back squat stance in 5 minutes than hours of videos and numerous bropointers accomplished over the past many years.

I suspect I'll really enjoy the competitiveness of it down the road though. There's quite a disparity within the on-ramp class, so much different scaling so far. Nonetheless, I've run into the "wall" on each workout so far, so I have plenty to work on with my own limitations.

The real trick for me will be dialing it back to keep from working myself into an injury...not because crossfit is inherently dangerous, but because *I* am inherently dangerous (to myself). It's how all of my athletic endeavors end up...with me injured. I need to do a better job of going *to* the wall and slowly, surely, eventually *through* the wall instead of just running *into* the wall early and often.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    8AagRi8.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    took a crossfit trial class about a year ago. lots of fun. i would sign up for it, but it just doesn't fit into my goals right now. but maybe in the fall i'll re-evaluate those goals.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think of not joining a crossfit box, but just downloading the WOD's on the website and doing them yourself in your own gym or with a group of fitness pals?

Just curious because I have wanted to join up with some crossfitters, but already pay for a gym that I love and don't wanna change it. I was ONLY thinking of doing this maybe once or twice a week as an addition to the strength training I already do.

...and this seems to be more of a "nicer" thread to ask in rather than the other one with the crossfit bashers. :flowerforyou:
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The WODs on the main site are wicked hard for the beginner, IMO (especially leading up to the open workouts every year). You'd be better off maybe finding a box that is a little more realistic that posts their workouts and doing those. I think mine does...
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    What do you guys think of not joining a crossfit box, but just downloading the WOD's on the website and doing them yourself in your own gym or with a group of fitness pals?

Just curious because I have wanted to join up with some crossfitters, but already pay for a gym that I love and don't wanna change it. I was ONLY thinking of doing this maybe once or twice a week as an addition to the strength training I already do.

...and this seems to be more of a "nicer" thread to ask in rather than the other one with the crossfit bashers. :flowerforyou:

Personally, I don't know that this is an ideal approach. Probably the worst...(least good?)...aspect of crossfit is their sometimes ridiculous WODs. That said, give it a try and see if you like it. It isn't necessarily a *bad* approach...and it's infinitely better than nothing (And like raiderzara said, when starting out, find easier WODS (or if you want to stick to corporate, consider dialing them *way* back)).

But like I said further up there^, the trainers have easily been the most valuable aspect of it for me so far.

And take advantage of the free classes offered by many crossfit locations...and some have relatively inexpensive intro/on-ramp courses that may be worth your $$$. I know I've gotten my $100 worth out of the 6-week course I'm in right now.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

it takes a lot of research to know what wods are more beginner friendly, and even which ones can be done at your regular gym.

a good one is "Cindy"
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

one of my favorites is "Helen"
    Three rounds for time:
    Run 400 meters
    55lb/ 25kg Kettlebell X 21 swings
    12 Pull-ups

this one might be a little harder to do at a regular gym. if you have a track, cool. one lap is 400 meters. if not, jump on a treadmil. 1/4 is approximately the same. then you have to head to where ever your pull up bar, and have set up your kettlebell next to it. if you can't do pull ups, do inverted rows or jump up pull ups with negatives. if 55lb kettlebell is too heavy, go lighter!!
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Crossfit is intellectual property that I think deserves the affiliation fees paid by boxes and the membership fees paid by members. I would suggest joining a box to honour that intellectual property as well as for the reason that the box dynamic is the BEST. I love the coaches, I love the other members, I love meeting new people who join, the supportive atmosphere. It's unlike any other gym experience I've had.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

it takes a lot of research to know what wods are more beginner friendly, and even which ones can be done at your regular gym.

a good one is "Cindy"
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

one of my favorites is "Helen"
    Three rounds for time:
    Run 400 meters
    55lb/ 25kg Kettlebell X 21 swings
    12 Pull-ups

this one might be a little harder to do at a regular gym. if you have a track, cool. one lap is 400 meters. if not, jump on a treadmil. 1/4 is approximately the same. then you have to head to where ever your pull up bar, and have set up your kettlebell next to it. if you can't do pull ups, do inverted rows or jump up pull ups with negatives. if 55lb kettlebell is too heavy, go lighter!!

Good points...and consistent with my on-ramp experience. We've done both Cindy and Helen as a workout so far in our on-ramp class. (Graduation is Fight Gone Bad...which probably isn't a good example.)

And I know it was just an example, but let me say that if you're just starting out, a 55# kb is too heavy...(and I'm not just saying that because a 25# kb wore me out last week. Well, okay, actually, yes, that is why I'm saying it...but it's still true.)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

3 issues with it that I can see:

1. Gathering up all the equipment in the right area, and having that area be free of people that might get injured or trip you up.
    2. Someone watching over you to make sure your form doesn't break down to the point where injury is a risk.
    3. Having other people there to compete with or cheer you on. Just having other people in the room makes people go harder than if they did it themselves. This one is a big deal to me. Having the group to train with is where the $150-odd bucks per month gets it's value. I've trained alone, with groups, and with a trainer, and one thing I've noticed is that when I'm alone, I only THINK I'm pushing as hard as I can. Get me in a group and all my numbers magically improve
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    @Jof - have fun with Fight Gone Bad :happy: Although Kelly was the worst for me so far.

I am probably in my third month now. My husband wanted to join, I was not so sure (in part from all the stuff I had heard on here), but my husband has run races (including one on our honeymoon), done triathlons, lifted weights and tried swimming with me, so I figured I at least owed him this to try it with him. Yeah, he could have gone alone, but with our schedules it is hard to get time together sometimes, plus its fun to do things together. I want him to be active so if it turned out to be something he liked, that's a good thing. We checked out one of the local boxes, watched some of the class, talked to a few members we knew. Plus it helps we are in a small town and knew the owner and a couple of the coaches so we had pretty good knowledge of their background and experience. We are really lucky to have a box like this around here, being so small.

I joke that I sipped the Kool-aid, my husband drank the whole damn pitcher (I even posted a meme to that effect on his Facebook). He it totally loving it which I am really happy about.

I love the atmosphere, the people, and kicking my *kitten* on a regular basis. I love every single PR I get. There is nothing that I have done that is like Crossfit for me. I'm not giving up my other hobbies but I won't be giving up Crossfit either. Plus my job requires me to have a certain level of fitness, Crossfit is actually ideal training for what I need.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I did Crossfit for 6 months - it was a graduation present from my parents when I graduated college. I can't afford it, that's one reason I don't go any more, another is medical problems.

I did love it, and I lost 42 pounds when I did it in 2011. My box was really into Paleo so I did that as well, and dropped a lot of bloating.

I hate running, and I hate lifting. But it was manageable while I was there. I kept pushing. All 3 of my coaches were amazing - One was an MMA fighter, one was an Olympic Gymnast Hopeful, and one was a SWAT officer. They kicked my butt. But I thank them for it. IT's what got me to get my *kitten* moving when I weighed 167. Otherwise I'd probably still be 167.