Married to a junk food junkie

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    chunt87 wrote: »
    I need some advisement. I have gone to a nutritionist to help me learn how and what to eat and how many healthy choices are out there and I make them everyday and have had progress but there is a moot point...Dinnertime

I love vegetables after discovering all the different ways to prepare them. I also love lean proteins, 96/4 ground beef, chicken breast, tenderloin, etc. But my husband is a junk food junkie. It doesn't seem like he likes any of the healthy things I cook and it makes me very upset. I feel like I work hard for him to just turn everything into a sandwich, and to have salt dumped on it before he eats it. And I know he doesn't like it because I ask and never get any straight answers.

I work full time and I do the best I can, he is at home all the time and could care less what he eats or how it is prepared but does the snooty face if I make something healthy or 'dupe' him into eating something that might not cause him to have a heart attack. For the record he is thin and I am trying to lose weight.

What healthy things have you guys made for your families that went over well?

I'm in exactly the same situation (I work all day, dh is home all day) and have decided to just let him do what he does. I tell him what I'm cooking and offer to make enough for him. If he doesn't want it, he can find something to eat - there's plenty of food in the house.

Seriously, quit worrying about it. Make what you want, offer to share and if there's leftovers because that's not what he wants to eat well, bonus! You have enough for another meal.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I need some advisement. I have gone to a nutritionist to help me learn how and what to eat and how many healthy choices are out there and I make them everyday and have had progress but there is a moot point...Dinnertime

I love vegetables after discovering all the different ways to prepare them. I also love lean proteins, 96/4 ground beef, chicken breast, tenderloin, etc. But my husband is a junk food junkie. It doesn't seem like he likes any of the healthy things I cook and it makes me very upset. I feel like I work hard for him to just turn everything into a sandwich, and to have salt dumped on it before he eats it. And I know he doesn't like it because I ask and never get any straight answers.

I work full time and I do the best I can, he is at home all the time and could care less what he eats or how it is prepared but does the snooty face if I make something healthy or 'dupe' him into eating something that might not cause him to have a heart attack. For the record he is thin and I am trying to lose weight.

I am trying to figure out where the "junk food" part comes in. Sandwiches aren't junk and maybe he piles the food with salt because it's bland to him. If he doesn't want to eat what you cook then he can make his own food.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You're not a short order cook. Cook for yourself and let him do his thing.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you make bland food. No salt, no fat. I wouldn't eat it, either. You already said he's healthy and not overweight, so why are you trying to force him into your weight loss diet?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My husband is also a "junk food junkie." I have chosen to eliminate many foods from my diet (dairy, sugar, grains) and eat lean protein and vegetables and have done so for many years. Usually, what I do is cook the lean protein (chicken, fish, flank steak) and make different sides for him such as pasta and rice. I always make extra of my vegetables for him to try if he wants to and throughout the years he has tried some and actually like it now. I find that if I cook with plenty of seasonings and don't overcook a lean protein, he enjoys it very much. A couple of times a week, when I am having some kind of left over, I will make him meals that are his ideal. Although I would like him to jump on my bandwagon, I know that won't happen so I do what I can to make us both happy...and turn my head as he scarfs down a half dozen dunkin donuts...
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Sounds like you make bland food. No salt, no fat. I wouldn't eat it, either. You already said he's healthy and not overweight, so why are you trying to force him into your weight loss diet?

Yeah, exactly. Maybe he already knows what he's doing. A lot of nutritionists aren't very good at their jobs, and if yours is pushing "lean protein" I wouldn't trust him/her either.

Anyways, everybody should make their own food.

• chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful responses with other things to make. I do use some salt in my cooking along with garlic and a myriad of other spices. So i don't think it's bland.

I will try to make more stews but after all the responses in nor going to sweat it too much if he turns everything into sandwiches or complains he isn't hungry when dinner is done after he scarfs down pop tarts and a sleeve of crackers with a half of a block of cheese. His idea of dinner when it's his turn to cook is hamburger helper. It is upsetting because he is thin but not healthy and a number of his doctors have told him to eat greens but he refuses. Maybe he will snap out of it or end up with more health issues than he has now

Thank you to the people who were helpful by suggesting different things to try.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I don't really consider any food junk. We eat all kinds of things at my house that you may or may not consider healthy depending on your definition of healthy.

My vegetable-hating-doesn't-like-to-try-new-things dd likes minestrone, fassolatha, veggie burgers, gyros, Greek bean and potato stew, chili, pasta dishes, almost all fruit, turkey, eggs, oatmeal, cereal, pancakes, french toast, tacos, burritos, bread of all types, rice, sandwiches and lemon lentil soup.
    My will-eat-almost-anything dh doesn't care for pasta much anymore especially with Alfredo sauce (dd's favorite sauce) but other than that he will happily eat anything I make.

Sometimes I make a side dish that everyone likes along with something else that only 2 of us eat.
    Tomato soup and sandwiches- dd won't eat the soup but will eat the sandwich, dh and I eat the soup and sandwich
    Pasta, chicken breast and salad- dh avoids the pasta but eats the other choices, dd avoids the salad and sometimes the chicken but eats the pasta and I eat every item choice.

I would compromise and have some of what you both like each week.

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    To answer your question - what went over well for our family. Oven "fried" chicken, Asian Orange Salmon, vegetables hidden in pasta sauce, Tuna Mornay done properly, pancakes with berries...
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I refuse to make him live my lifestyle, so I still buy whatever he likes when I grocery shop and I make 2 dinners, or sometimes he'll eat what I'm eating.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I was always the "healthy" eater. I used to (and sometimes still do) glare at him when he is eating a fast food bacon double cheeseburger and fries. The funny thing is, I am the one who had the weight, blood pressure and cholesterol problems, so now I try to just worry about myself..lol
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Does your husband like meatloaf? I'm really fond of this recipe, and make it a lot -- very healthy, low in calories compared to regular meatloaf, and tastes (IMO) better than any regular meatloaf recipe I've had: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get pissy with my BF occasionally- he's only here 2 days a week- so usually one meal in- and one meal out- typically the "in" meal is steak- as is the "out" meal- unless we do Mariachi- in which case he ALWAYS gets a plain cheese quesodilla (no meat!?!?!) and then rice.

The only green thing he eats is guac/avacado.

it makes me EFFING CRAZY- I've yelled at him before- what are you a 5 years old- you should know better- you have to eat some fricking veggies in your diet. I'm convinced it's why his breath gets rank so much faster than mine. He eats like crap- mostly carbs - carbs carbs. And he's not working out- so he's squishy. fine whatever. At some point I have to get over it- or just break up honestly.

As I pointed out- he's not 5 years old. he's a grown *kitten* man.

he doesn't want to work out? fine.
    he doesn't want to have a balance diet? Fine.

He can do what he wants- I get angry- then I get over it because it's not my body.

And that's up to the point he starts getting obese- then we are going to have a problem. And I already flat out and out told him he's going to be single and fat if that happens. I'm not doing it. I do not want nor will I date/marry an obese boy friend. Period.

He knows that- so it's on him.

I don't care what he puts in his pie hole as long as he is medically fine and not fat.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful responses with other things to make. I do use some salt in my cooking along with garlic and a myriad of other spices. So i don't think it's bland.

I will try to make more stews but after all the responses in nor going to sweat it too much if he turns everything into sandwiches or complains he isn't hungry when dinner is done after he scarfs down pop tarts and a sleeve of crackers with a half of a block of cheese. His idea of dinner when it's his turn to cook is hamburger helper. It is upsetting because he is thin but not healthy and a number of his doctors have told him to eat greens but he refuses. Maybe he will snap out of it or end up with more health issues than he has now

Thank you to the people who were helpful by suggesting different things to try.

I love hamburger helper. Why don't you buy a box and throw in some frozen peas? Easy way to get in some veggies.

Or like... ask HIM waht kind of things he'd be interested in eating that are healthier.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I work full time and I do the best I can, he is at home all the time and could care less what he eats or how it is prepared

Why isn't he preparing dinner?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I am not a short order cook. When I make a meal, the family can either eat it or make themselves something else.
  • feisty_bucket
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "chunt87 wrote: »
    "It is upsetting because he is thin but not healthy and a number of his doctors have told him to eat greens but he refuses. Maybe he will snap out of it or end up with more health issues than he has now

Bleh. My response wasn't helpful then, sorry. Why would he refuse to follow medical advice? He sounds like he's bad at food then, I dunno. Did he attempt to make veggies he liked, or ...?

Pro-tip for EZ good veggies: put a tablespoon or so of sweet BBQ sauce in the bottom of a bowl. Put misc. frozen veggies on top. Put a bunch of Lite Salt (potassium and sodium, which is sodium-neutral) and Mrs. Dash or whatever on it. Microwave it for a few minutes. When done, stir it all up. Freaking great.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well tonight im trying some roasted non-green veggies and a ninja healthy meatloaf. I like the bbq veggies idea and I have thrown in veggies with hb helper with success. I make a loaded broccoli chicken mac and cheese without much mac or cheese with success too. I also have loaded tacos with corn and bean salsa with success too.
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thing is…I have no idea how good a cook you are. I have tasted some "healthy" foods that even the dog (and he's a lab—they'll eat anything!) would eat. OTOH, both Otter and I cook healthy all the time and we love the food we cook.
    Otter taught me a lot about eating healthy since she has been trying to lose weight for far longer than I have. We have accumulated quite a few recipes. The general rule seems to be that spices can substitute for fat and sugar in creating a level of satisfaction.

I will put together some of these recipes and finding a place to put them.
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    Also, V8 or store-brand knockoff stuff is better than nothing, and there's a lot to be said for it being the tomato juice that it predominantly is. You can down it like shot. I don't like it, but I down a cup daily.

Maybe a daily multivitamin too if you're not taking one; they're dirt-cheap and good insurance against dying from weird malnutrition issues at least.