Married to a junk food junkie

Options

Replies

• ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, it wasn't hard to figure out where to put a recipe. :D Thanks MFP, for thinking of this!

Arroz con Pollo
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    my husband and I eat very few common foods. I prefer poultry, he prefers red meat. I prefer leafy veggies, he wants potatoes and corn. He wants fried, I like grilled.

what I do is find a common set of seasonings that will taste good on anything, chop some potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob, and something like a round steak and season it. put it in a baking dish and cover with foil. same time, I put some chicken or turkey in a separate dish with beets, asparagus, onion, and peppers-use the same seasoning, cover with foil. bake them both until they're done. bam. two pans, two dinners, basically the same cooking.

if all else fails, we have spaghetti.
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I learned to make foods my hubby likes but healthier because he wanted and needed to lose some weight. However, he's a junk food junkie like your hubby. Last week, mine finally got serious about watching everything that goes into his mouth. He's never really complained about what I've cooked, but some meals just don't stay with him very long. We stock up on peanuts, almonds, and fresh fruits. Also, I cook him larger servings because his caloric needs are more than mine. He's very muscular but has a stomach he's trying to shed. It's a difficult process finding the balance to make everyone happy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    chunt87 wrote: »
    But my husband is a junk food junkie.
    My wife is a scientist. Our spouses both have their crosses to bear it seems.

In what other ways are you having basic communication challenges with your husband?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Make stuff he likes and you eat a smaller portion to make it healthy/less caloric. If you want to eat the same things, someone has got to budge - is he on a diet? If not, then you should budge, imo, or just eat different things at dinner time.

why should she be the one to budge? that sounds ridiculous. she is the one putting the effort in to make the meals. it doesnt sound like hes giving her any input to help her make something he would enjoy when she asks. if he doesn't like the food, he can make his own.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Be glad you only have one person in your home to appease. I have a spouse and 3 children. My middle child is very picky. I don't eat cheese. My teenager eats almot anything. My husband wont do healthy 7 nights a week and only my toddler eats everything. What we do and it works well for us. Is always makes sure there is atleast one thing per meal everyone likes. I cook 3 or 4 nights a week the lean protein, rosted veggie combo with some alternative carb for them and he cooks the other nights of the week and I usually just limit my portions.
    Sit down. Make a meal plan with him. Be willing to compromise and just eat less of something that may not be as good for you. I will adjust my workout on a day I know hubby is making beefy rice with mashed potatoes for dinner because otherwise a whole day's worth of calories is shot on one meal. You got this. Meal plan it really helps out.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I like to make stir fries or thick saucy dishes with lots of veggies and lean protein like chicken, legumes, tofu, or fish. Then, I make a lot of rice or pasta on the side. I make my plate up of mostly veggies, some protein, and a single serving of the carb base...my husband basically ends up eating 4 servings of the carb base and tons of the topping with a ton of salt on top. (Which irritates me because he salts the HECK out of everything BEFORE HE'S TAKEN A TASTE OF IT. So, it's not a matter of taste, it's just a habit with no benefit) He still ends up eating a sleeve of cookies or crackers later, but at least he's making his own choices and we're eating the same meal. He can complain about hating how he looks in photos or taking statins all he wants, it's his choice.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well tonight im trying some roasted non-green veggies and a ninja healthy meatloaf. I like the bbq veggies idea and I have thrown in veggies with hb helper with success. I make a loaded broccoli chicken mac and cheese without much mac or cheese with success too. I also have loaded tacos with corn and bean salsa with success too.

Why skimp on the pasta and cheese? Last time I made a single serving macaroni casserole (about 650+ calories) I used:
    53.00 grams (4 pieces), Brown Rice Lasagne, Dry (ran out of macaroni noodles so I just broke them up lol)
    44.00 grams, Celery
    61.00 grams, Red Tomatoes
    47.00 grams, White Mushrooms
    53.00 grams, Carrots
    179.00 grams, Chicken Breast Raw
    100.00 ml (1 cup), 1% Partly Skimmed Milk
    57.00 grams, Light Medium Cheddar

I think I would have used more cheese but I ran out. And then of course I added spices which I did not put into the recipe builder.

20g fat, 57g carbs, and 63g protein. A successful macro ratio IMO, and nothing "unhealthy" about it. But then again there isn't anything unhealthy about cheese and pasta. Maybe your criteria for "healthy" is too strict, hence the husband thinking your food is bland.

ETA if you are actually watching calories though, corn and beans are calorie-dense. So just because they are deemed healthy doesn't mean that loading up on them in a dish makes the dish any more calorie-friendly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh i got flagged!!!

woot woot!!! Made my Tuesday- although- i'm really confused why!
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Well tonight im trying some roasted non-green veggies and a ninja healthy meatloaf. I like the bbq veggies idea and I have thrown in veggies with hb helper with success. I make a loaded broccoli chicken mac and cheese without much mac or cheese with success too. I also have loaded tacos with corn and bean salsa with success too.

that sounds like what I go through with my toddler.. :)

if he's really not giving you anything to go on, don't worry about it. he's a grown man. he can either give you some ideas or eat what you make for him. without fail, any time I ask my SO what he wants to eat he says "i don't care." I know he doesn't like some of the things I make and I know he likes when I switch it up. I try to make what he likes and find a new recipe to try a couple times a week. If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it. I do make a note of the things he goes back for seconds of, meals where he literally licks his plate clean, and the stuff he doesn't finish.

He doesn't like vegetables all that much either; every once in awhile I will suggest he eat more but most of the time I just let him go. He also snacks on ramen, cereal, sour patch kids, ice cream bars..stuff like that daily. He likes his snacks. our daughter is the same..so I do the same for her.

good luck.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

In what other ways are you having basic communication challenges with your husband?

whats wrong with being a scientist?? ..asks a scientist.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

It sounds absolutely awfull to try and bs a grown man with broccoli chicken mac and cheese without the mac and cheese part.....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Imagine when one is married to an artist who knows everything. As I said, she has a cross to bear.

Now you have requisite insight into what I was really getting at in my post. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I definitely relate. Hubby loves the concept of healthy eating but often fails in execution. He won't come out and say he hates a meal but he'll mumble around it and break out the beans.

He also conned me in to the cooking when we were negotiating chores. Ah well, I haven't touched a washing machine in over ten years so there are compensations.

I experiment a lot and I ask him to at least try it. I flag recipes that he likes and they get a repeat. He hates fish but he scarfed down breaded and fried cod halfway through before he realized it wasn't chicken. I have a beef curry in tomato sauce that he loves, so zesty, but he insists I never feed him curry. Little does he know.

Slowly we change habits. Ten years ago it was pancakes on Saturday morning with bacon, eggs, and jam. Now it is protein pumpkin pancakes with Greek yogurt and partially defrosted strawberries.

We have hamburger helper in the cupboard when he craves food he recognizes.

He's a Chocoholic, I am not. The junk food in the grocery line is for him, not me. The junk food gets hidden away and the healthy choices are displayed prominently.

I make a salad every couple days placed in a prominent place in the fridge and harp on him to finish it off while it is still fresh. My fitness instructor suggested I jazz it up with more colorful vegetables, sunflower seeds, etc. and that definitely spikes his interest.

If he gets lazy and asks me to serve up his plate, it gets filled with a lot more vegetables than he would take.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OH, he gives neutral answers for all meals, but he only goes for seconds if he likes it. Those recipes are keepers.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you do the grocery shopping: don't buy the crap foods. And if doesn't eat what you cook: tough crap. This ain't Burger King. Eat what I cook or make a PBJ.

Or maybe your a terrible cook. (Srsly. Not trying to be mean here.) Salt enhances flavors, so unless you or he have a cardiac problem, why cut out salts? Use healthy fats, etc., etc. Healthy eating =/= bland foods. Roast veggies, it caramelizes the natural sugars and makes them sweeter. Don't trim the fats off meats, that's where the flavor is! (Don't EAT the fat, that's just gross.) When using cheeses, try sharper cheeses, such as parmigiano reggagio (sp?) which have more flavor but are lower calorie. Big flavors can be accomplished and make healthy eating a pleasure.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Imagine when one is married to an artist who knows everything. As I said, she has a cross to bear.

lulz- I'm a creative nerd... so engineer by day- costume designer and dancer by night.

imagine my poor boyfriend LOL
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

...im both artist and scientist. :o
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    That is what I was thinking, too. My husband needs more calories than I do and he gets them both through extra servings of what I make and several bowls of cereal at night. Turning what you make into a sandwich sounds like a great option.

^This...
    OP, you are overweight and want/need to make a change. Your husband is thin and does not feel the want/need to change anything. Would it be better if he was more supportive? Yes... that said, he is not. If he wants a sandwich, let him have a sandwich. You are his wife, not his mother...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As long as he eats it and doesn't complain, I wouldn't worry about it. I know you would wish for him to be healthier, but that's a choice he has to make for himself.