Set point theory

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Isn't it true though that there are some variations occurring naturally among different people? I mean, by the time I reached age 17 I had 9 or 10% body fat without working out at all, and have effortlessly maintained a body fat below 10% for the last 3 years. I know that younger people are generally leaner, but I don't think it's very common for 18-20 year old guys to have single digit body fat without working out.
    If one has those percentages, it's only because they are burning more than they consume.
    The body is VERY efficient at storing energy. It CAN'T store energy that's not in surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly, you're saying it's not exactly true that some people will naturally have lower or higher body fat than average?

the body LIKES to stay the same- so if you let it- it will. It will want to naturally stay where it's comfortable.

But- for me. personally- my body doesn't get to tell me what to do- I tell it what to do.

If I listened to my body- I would be a complete and utter sloth. for real- it's a lazy B. I on the other hand am not- so I tell it what to do- not the other way around.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Isn't it true though that there are some variations occurring naturally among different people? I mean, by the time I reached age 17 I had 9 or 10% body fat without working out at all, and have effortlessly maintained a body fat below 10% for the last 3 years. I know that younger people are generally leaner, but I don't think it's very common for 18-20 year old guys to have single digit body fat without working out.
    If one has those percentages, it's only because they are burning more than they consume.
    The body is VERY efficient at storing energy. It CAN'T store energy that's not in surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly, you're saying it's not exactly true that some people will naturally have lower or higher body fat than average?
    People will have lower/higher body fat average based on CICO. The main reason why teens will usually have lower body fat is that they burn more than they consume. Fat teens consume more than they burn.
    Unless there's some health/hormone issue, for the general population this holds true whether male or female.
    The problem with much of the diet/fitness industry, is that they over exaggerate a lot of how physiology actually works to sell ideas and books to make some extra cash.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    I don't believe set points are legitimate. Many people get into the single/low double digit body fat percentages if they attempt them. If there was a true set point, they shouldn't be able to achieve those parameters even if they are eating well and exercising.

Did you ever noticed that you were always allowed for you to raise your set point under the theory but never lower it? I know it was supposed to be based on homeostasis, which is absolutely rock solid, but fat stores aren't the same as body temperature and hormone levels. According to the theory I shouldn't be able to stay at the 10-12% BF range I now have because I was at 32%+ recently. Now, there was no issue in the theory to allow me to go from 8-10% when I was 28 to 32%+ when I was 44 but going down is impossible? Not much of a "set point", is it?
    Age lowers muscle mass and reduces HGH and hormone potency. This isn't new information. Does one have to work much harder to achieve it? Of course, but there really isn't any "set point". Restrict calories enough for ANYONE and they will lose body fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png