Whats your routine?

Options
I'm always interested to know what other people do at the gym, how they go about things, if they've got patterns etc. I'm also keen to learn new things and different ways to go about things!

My Routine at the moment is:

10-15 minutes Elliptical trainer (or treadmill, depending on my mood)
10 minutes of vigorous rowing (or 2000m, depending on which one comes last!)
I then work on my abs for around 5 minutes.

After all that I do weight lifting, no particular order to the machines/free weights I use but generally it goes Arms, legs, arms, legs, arms, legs.

What's the most effective way of training for you guys?
Also, feel free to add me- always looking for new friends and motivation!

Replies

• MelKnight77
    MelKnight77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do Monday upper body
    Tuesday Lower body, abs and hiit
    Wednesday Liss cardio- generally a 50 min walk with the dog
    Thursday Upper body
    Friday- lower body, abs and hiit
    Saturday and Sunday liss cardio again.

Before I train I will do 5 mins stretching and a warm up set on most exercises. I'm currently in prep for a figure competition.

Mel
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Monday - Chest/Tri
    Tuesday - Back/Bi
    Wednesday - HIIT
    Thursday - Legs
    Friday - Shoulders
    Saturday - HIIT
    Sunday - Rest/Walk
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Simple 3 days a week for.

Push, Pull, Legs
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lift on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday roughly following the Stronglifts format. I often to bodyweight or ab exercises between sets. Tuesday is mostly cardio and Thursday I take a zumba class.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do weight machines usually full body with 45 minutes to an hour of cardio ( 30 minutes running/walking on the treadmill and 30 minutes elliptical) Tuesday, Thursday 45 minute spin class 20-25 minute run on the treadmill and Saturday 1 hour spin class. Rest on Sunday
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually do a workout dvd(25-35min) in the morning and then 2x/wk Stronglifts/weight lifting and 2x/wk treadmill or circuit. On the weekend, its usually one longish run and another dvd, maybe 45min-1hr.
    This week's plan:
    Sun-1 hr circuit dvd
    Mon-dance cardio 25 min and 5 min rebounder (am), lifting(pm)
    Tues-am mat workout, pm treadmill or circuit
    Wed- am cardio/dance, pm lifting
    Thurs-am mat or yoga, pm treadmill
    Fri-am lifting
    Sat- probably a circuit dvd
    Sun-run (5-7miles)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Monday-Friday Heavy Lifting and Cardio. Sat-Sun rest days.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Simple 3 days a week for.

Push, Pull, Legs

I do this but four days a week. Rolling schedule .push twice the first week. Next week pull twice. Next week legs twice. Then start over.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My routine (tentative):
    Monday: Stronglifts 5x5 followed by a jog and walk.
    Tuesday: HIIT (either biking or running, depends on my mood).
    Wednesday: Stronglifts 5x5 followed by a jog and walk.
    Thursday: HIIT (either biking or running).
    Friday: Stronglifts 5x5 followed by a jog and walk.
    Saturday: depends on my mood: yoga, swimming, or rest day.
    Sunday: again depends on my mood: yoga, swimming, long run or ruck, or rest day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If I'm in the gym, I'm lifting (generally something based on 5/3/1). Cardio is done outside, or I play basketball.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I follow what my coach has set for me. Currently in a two week period I have 5 squat days, 3 deadlift days, 6 bench days, and 12 back days (this is because I have a long term injury that is responding incredibly well to the frequency), but it's normally only 1 back exercise per day
  • baremington
    Options
    monday, wednesday, and friday i do around 45-60 minutes of cardio- usually intervals on the treadmill followed by the arc trainer. tuesday i have personal training where i do (mostly) free weights, but not targeting any specific part of my body- we usually do a little bit of everything. thursday and saturday i do an upper body day and a lower body day, respectively, at home with dumbbells. i try to get my little 30-minute beginners yoga dvd in on my weight training days, too.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Monday-rest day
    Tuesday-45 minutes elliptical and 45 minutes treadmill, at least until it warms up again and I can resume my walking outdoors
    Wednesday/Friday/Sunday-full body lifting program, with a 10-minute warmup and 8-minute cooldown on the treadmill
    Thursday-repeat of Tuesday, though more like 30 minutes on each, and I bowl in the evening
    Saturday-if I'm not too exhausted from work, HIIT
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cardio before lifting. Unless you're training for an endurance event, I'd suggest breaking it up.

For a combined lifting/cardio sesh, I usually do about 10min of cardio just to get warmed up, then lift, then do my main cardio set.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    for me I do body weight exercises (too broke for a gym membership at the moment)

Monday: legs
    Tuesday: chest
    Wednesday: Yoga
    Thursday: Abs
    Friday: full body
    Weekend: rest/walking
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Soon to be Squat, Bench, Deads 3x a week at varying %'s, Sets, and Reps + an Accessory Day.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Running Hal Higdon's Intermediate Half training program which is:
    Monday - strength & stretch
    Tuesdays - run 3-5mi (increases every few weeks)
    Wednesdays - intervals or temp
    Thursdays - strength & 3mi run
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - run 3-5mi
    Sunday - run 5 - 12mi

I'm part of a running club that runs Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays but due to ski season, I won't be there Saturdays. I also plan to spend Tuesday and Friday mornings doing yoga and extra foam rolling, plus potentially my physical therapy exercises.

I'm using Blaha 5x5 as my strength program and plan to run it as long as I can and when it starts affecting my runs, I'll drop back to SL 5x5
  • Jasper_Thinkington
    Options
    I just sit on one of the benches and talk to people. Sometimes I put on a belt or chalk up my hands. I know people say going to the gym really helps, but I'm not seeing the results I want.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I work a different muscle group every day and alternate legs and core.

Example:
    Monday: chest/legs
    Tuesday: back/abs
    Wednesday: shoulders/legs
    Thursday: tri's/abs
    Friday: bi's/legs

In the afternoon I do my DDP yoga and every other day I'll do 30-40 minutes of cardio.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Currently doing an Upper/Lower Split each 2x a week. If I have the time I'll throw in my "vanity" Arms workout or practice my Oly lifts. Cardiowise I teach a Spin Class and will throw in a second day of cardio if I have time - lifting is my priority, not cardio.