Why do you binge/overeat?

Options
124»

Replies

• Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much or smoke so I enjoy food. Simples!
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Boredom and loneliness
  • fdurett
    Options
    For years, I considered my binge eating to be a symptom of a weak will. I just thought I was a person with no self control over food. Then, beginning about 2 years ago, I started experimenting with lowering my carbohydrate intake. Now, I eat under 25 grams of net carbs a day (carb grams - fiber grams) and I have not binged in 3 full months. Not once. For me, this is a monumental achievement. I don't feel like my natural willpower or resolve has improved, I simply discovered that eating carbs made me continue to want to eat.. and eat.. and eat. This is only my personal experience but I share this tidbit with anyone who asks about overeating or binging. Perhaps binging is more of a hormonal issue (really high insulin from high carb intake) than a moral or willpower issue for me.

I hope this helps! Feel free to add me and send me messages if you would like to know more. My diet diary is public on here and I chart every morsel.

• fdurett
    Options
    Thanks
  • ipeaceful
    ipeaceful Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is one of the most overlooked issues I've experienced in my life. Now I'm working on it. I'm a work in progress. For me it's something I can't handle by myself.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Those sun rays stored in Carbs can be so addicting to some of us. Going low carb (<50 g daily) has been the hardest addiction I have ever experienced. I tried hard for 2 months (Aug/Sept) and finally told myself I was going to die if I did not stop abusing carbs and the first of Oct I went Cold Turkey.

The first two weeks were hell but then the cravings started fading. Thanksgiving I tried carbs again (300 grams) and I was poking my face like before I realized. I was up 6 pounds the next day and it took a week to work off that water, etc. I felt so so bad physically and mentally. That was the last time to date and I have passed at the Christmas dinners so far. I get most of my carbs from almonds and the like.

I do love any and all sunlight stored as sugar. I now understand this and know soon to turn 64 my window to better health is going to close completely for me. All of our windows are closing at some point in time I now understand.

Those of you who are 20-30-40 try to learn what it is that is or will destroy your health in the long run TODAY and make the needed eating lifestyle changes before major health damage occurs.

• moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    When I feel really down on myself, it releases adrenaline which makes me really hungry.