Question about effects of beer on diet

Options
13»

Replies

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I know this is a super un-fun suggestion, but maybe cut out beer until you've reached your goal weight. ...
    You're right..super un-fun..
    but a @sherbear does make a salient point :blush:

• miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    probably mostly water retention. i get the opposite effect when i drink liquor or wine, my body seems to shed all the water and i end up being 3 lbs lighter a day or two after i get wasted. but it inevitably comes back as i rehydrate.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Just found this article and I love this simple tip to estimate calories in beer: Calories/oz = ABV%x2.5.

http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Well if you're drinking 8 pints of Bud, then you have a problem for other reasons. ...

The good news: As you lose weight, your tolerance for alcohol goes down too. So you get just as buzzed on less beer. Win for the pocketbook, too!

And if your tolerance doesn't go down, you definitely have a problem.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    wmpottsjr wrote: »
    You can quickly drink liquids, but it takes a few days to urinate it all. 4.5 liters is a lot to drink. A normal person will urinate between one and two liters a day. I can imagine that maybe 3 liters will be eliminated on binge night but that still leaves 1.5 liters excess fluid. Urine weighs 1.003 gram/ml so 1,500 grams or 3.3 lbs is retained.

You're forgetting perspiration. . . . I typically do not measure my urine output and I definitely wouldn't do it the day after drinking.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up beer, but I am paying attention to the calories, which basically means ABV. German hefeweizens are low alcohol and delicious, so I'm drinking a lot more of those and a lot fewer American craft brews. In fact I'm drinking one at the moment.