Going over sugar when eating fruit

Options
So I have grapes that I have been adding and deleting from my diary all day because they will put me over my sugar allocation.

If the sugar comes from a natural source such as fruit is it better for me? Easier to burn? Or is sugar just sugar?

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its about weight loss, then i dont worry too much about sugar allocation and focus on the deficit. I wouldnt get wound up and be adding and deleting them. Eat your 5+ fruit and veg a day plus control your deficit.

Genrally sugar in fruit is considered less of a problem as its contained in the fruit , which as a whole is more nutritious for you, so its better than eating say a candy bar.

This short article seems to explain the difference.

http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/sugar-in-fruit-vs-table-sugar
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find the sugar allotment MFP gives you is far too low. I don't pay any attention to it and just always try to avoid added sugar in ingredient lists. If a food doesn't come with an ingredient list, I don't worry about the sugar in it, just the calories :drinker:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. That being said, it's less of a big deal than you think, unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar. Sugar is just a carb, and is a fine source of quick energy if you need it. Personally, I don't count sugar. I'd rather count something important, like fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar allotment on mfp nearly everyday, purely because of fruit, and I don't eat loads and loads of it either.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!

1. Sugar from fruit and processed sugar is still sugar. Your body processes it the same.
    2. If you cut out all "processed sugar" from your diet, and you eat unlimited fruit to the point you eat more calories than you burn, you will still gain weight.
    3. Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The sugar is just sugar doesnt say it all if you are interested in the nutritional level. Its the same for weight loss calories.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options

You may be able to lose weight- but you still have to be careful. My dad gave up ALL processed sugar and became diabetic because of all the fruit he consumed, because he too was told he could eat all the fruit he wanted.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar.

I always use a rule .. "if it comes from a box then it is likely processed and likely somewhat bad for you. If it is natural .. then that is a better thing"

It is not 100% about weight loss .. though sometimes you would think so in these forums. We will be better off eating healthy natural foods.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    So I have grapes that I have been adding and deleting from my diary all day because they will put me over my sugar allocation.

If the sugar comes from a natural source such as fruit is it better for me? Easier to burn? Or is sugar just sugar?

Unless you have a medical reason to minimize sugar, don't worry about going over the MFP default. I eliminated sugar from my diary and track fiber instead. I feel it is more important to monitor.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options

So, you're saying that if I eat 20 large bananas per day (about 136g each, 121 calsd) then I won't gain weight? Even though that's 2,420 cals, and my TDEE is only about 2000? Those extra 420 cals aren't going to do anything? Really?
  • WatchJoshLift
    edited December 2014
    Options

So, you're saying that if I eat 20 large bananas per day (about 136g each, 121 calsd) then I won't gain weight? Even though that's 2,420 cals, and my TDEE is only about 2000? Those extra 420 cals aren't going to do anything? Really?

Banana calories don't count, just like Thanksgiving calories. If you drink a soda however, those calories are quadrupled.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Banana calories don't count, just like Thanksgiving calories. If you drink a soda however, those calories are quadrupled.

What if it's a Japanese banana flavored diet soda?
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

What if it's a Japanese banana flavored diet soda?

You're good! That's how I lost all of my weight!
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The mantra "everything in moderation" is key here.

Fruit is a far better snack option than a chocolate bar.

Fruit is a far better dessert option than cake.

Even if they have similar "sugar" content (likely to be more in the cake/chocolate bar) the fruit will have higher amounts of fiber and vitamins.

A calorie deficit is key to losing weight, however, if you'd like to lower your fruit/sugar intake try substituting one of your fruit snacks with raw veggies like carrots, cucumber or snow peas (personal favourite).

Good luck! :)
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sugar is sugar as far as calories are concerned. 6 calories/gram.
    The health effects of sugar are far more complex (and less well known) than is usually admitted.
    blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/

IMO, binging on any food is not good. We need to eat a balanced diet, including carbohydrates, proteins and, yes, even fats, and limit the number of calories to no more than we burn.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    The mantra "everything in moderation" is key here.

Fruit is a far better snack option than a chocolate bar.

Fruit is a far better dessert option than cake.

Even if they have similar "sugar" content (likely to be more in the cake/chocolate bar) the fruit will have higher amounts of fiber and vitamins.

A calorie deficit is key to losing weight, however, if you'd like to lower your fruit/sugar intake try substituting one of your fruit snacks with raw veggies like carrots, cucumber or snow peas (personal favourite).

Good luck! :)

Giiiiiiiiiirrrrlllll, you can have yo fruit, I be all about dat cake.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have decided to eat the grapes because they are tasty and will keep me from sneaking something I shouldn't have.

I have diabetes in the family. I am paranoid about getting them so I try to limit sugar and carbs. Especially processed ones. (Lollies, bread, pasta, pre-packaged food)