Going over sugar when eating fruit

Options

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Banana calories don't count, just like Thanksgiving calories. If you drink a soda however, those calories are quadrupled.
    Soda, ugh, imagine drinking calories?

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    3. Congratulations on your weight loss.
    Thank you

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Banana calories don't count, just like Thanksgiving calories. If you drink a soda however, those calories are quadrupled.

That's why I drink diet soda. No calories.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Diet soda is the way to go!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar as far as calories are concerned. 6 calories/gram.
    The health effects of sugar are far more complex (and less well known) than is usually admitted.
    blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/

IMO, binging on any food is not good. We need to eat a balanced diet, including carbohydrates, proteins and, yes, even fats, and limit the number of calories to no more than we burn.

Um, 4 calories a gram. If your sugar has 6 calories a gram, I would suggest eating fruit instead. And not getting sugar from them foreign places through the interweb (I don't think it's sugar...)

Otherwise, having 1-2 servings of fruit a day is a good idea for all the good things that fruit does for your body...can help with insulin control, vision, help prevent cancer and heart disease, healing, help with a healthy colon, and on and on, benefits you don't get from cake. Don't worry if your sugar is a little high if none of it is added sugar. Good luck :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I wonder if 6 calorie sugar would be any sweeter than 4 calorie sugar.
  • Avalon_Mists
    Options
    Well, as someone who does a Low Carb Diet, for me sugar is sugar. It's all carbs, which your body converts into sugar, causing an insulin response. It doesn't matter what the source is. (This is why some people are actually "sensitive" to some sweeteners, for lack of a better term. Their body will react to a sweetener as though it were sugar, making the entire reason for using the sweetener - a zero calorie/zero carb option for sweetness - completely moot.) So if you are trying to stay under a certain sugar/carb goal ON PURPOSE (like myself), then you need to watch your fruit intake carefully. However, if you are NOT counting your carbs/doing Low Carb/etc, then feel free to eat your fruit. Just remember moderation is key. As others have stated, you don't want to eat so much fruit that you may as well have eaten half a cake from the amount of sugar you ingested. And some fruits will be better than others - raspberries and blueberries tend to be lower in sugars (raspberries have 5g sugar per cup), while bananas tend to be rather high in sugar (18g sugar per cup).
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Only if it's processed 6 calorie sugar.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I thought the fibre in fruit stops the sugar spikes because it's digested slower? ?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!

So, you're saying that if I eat 20 large bananas per day (about 136g each, 121 calsd) then I won't gain weight? Even though that's 2,420 cals, and my TDEE is only about 2000? Those extra 420 cals aren't going to do anything? Really?

You would gain weight from not being able to poop for a month.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The grapes was the last thing I gave up until I get my calories down enough to lose weight. They are so good.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I thought the fibre in fruit stops the sugar spikes because it's digested slower? ?

#notallfruit - sorry, couldn't resist.

Sugar is sugar, regardless of source in terms of weight loss. If you are concerned about diabetes though, then yes - different sources of sugar/simple carbohydrates have different effects on your blood sugar levels. It's more important to look at the glycemic index (GI) and the glycemic load (GL) of a food to understand these effects.

For example:

1 serving of grapes (1 cup = 40 grapes) has a GI of 66, which is moderately high, and a GL of 47, also moderately high. So it would be a good idea to combine this food with a source of fat or protein (say a piece of cheese) to further decrease its GI/GL. Bonus points: it may help you feel more full and satisfied :smile: decreasing the need for further snacking.

For further reading: here's a good article that explains the importance of GI/GL and counting carbs for people who are concerned about diabetes.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/nutrition-and-meal-planning/carbohydrate-counting-glycemic-index-and-glycemic-load-putting-them-all-together/all/

"The glycemic index of a food is a ranking (from 0 to 100) of how much it raises blood glucose level after it is eaten. A number of things affect a food’s glycemic index, including the type of starch it contains, the type of fiber it contains, and how finely milled or broken down the grain kernels, beans, or seeds are. Luckily for consumers, lists of commonly consumed foods and their glycemic index values are readily available.

The glycemic load of a serving of food puts together its carbohydrate content and its glycemic index to give a more accurate estimate of how much it will affect blood glucose level. Once you know a food’s glycemic index and the carbohydrate content of the amount you plan to eat, it’s fairly easy to calculate your portion’s glycemic load."

• jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue with sugar, diagnosed from a medical professional, don't worry about it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!

So, you're saying that if I eat 20 large bananas per day (about 136g each, 121 calsd) then I won't gain weight? Even though that's 2,420 cals, and my TDEE is only about 2000? Those extra 420 cals aren't going to do anything? Really?

You would gain weight from not being able to poop for a month.

I've been on the 30 bananas a day diet. You poop. Oh boy do you poop!
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar as far as calories are concerned. 6 calories/gram.
    The health effects of sugar are far more complex (and less well known) than is usually admitted.
    blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/2013/07/15/is-sugar-really-toxic-sifting-through-the-evidence/

IMO, binging on any food is not good. We need to eat a balanced diet, including carbohydrates, proteins and, yes, even fats, and limit the number of calories to no more than we burn.
    4 calories a gram

Hunh…I had 6 cal/gram stuck in my head from somewhere. Gotta clean out the cobwebs occasionally.
    Thanks.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

No, it has more fat in it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

nope, science says that doesn't happen. The blood glucose curve for the first 30 - 60 mins is the same for fruit, juice or puree.

Unless you're eating sugar out of a bowl then all the other foods containing sugar also have fibre, fat and protein that may influence digestion rates.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to sugar because the majority of mine comes from natural foods. Processed sugary foods are usually full of chemicals and junk. It is easy to sit down and eat a bowl of small candy bars because I just keep wanting more and more. But a whole bowl of grapes? Not going to happen! That is usually why people caution against sugar...