Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs.

All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost.

But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!

Ana, you are exactly right. Teaching people how to make good food choices is excellent advice. All those tips and tricks that let people eat what they want, but in little portions, only gets you so far. Learning about proper macro balance and calories is much more valuable information.

You could have just agreed with me 20 pages and and saved us all a lot of trouble.

Can we provide information on calories here?
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tennisdude. I am a biologist by training. Keeping track of overall calories is the best way to lose weight. I am not a believer of any diet program that costs money or too difficult to buy in a grocery store. I have eaten regular food, maybe a little heavy on the salads as I am a vegetarian. But I always work out on a treadmill to burn the excess calories (guided by MyFitnessPal).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs.

All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost.

But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!

Ana, you are exactly right. Teaching people how to make good food choices is excellent advice. All those tips and tricks that let people eat what they want, but in little portions, only gets you so far. Learning about proper macro balance and calories is much more valuable information.

You could have just agreed with me 20 pages and and saved us all a lot of trouble.
    Except for the part where she thinks donuts are a good way to meet ones macros lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Except for the part where she thinks donuts are a good way to meet ones macros lol.

They definitely are if that's what you are craving or if you are also in need of more sugar in your system. Or if you are in a position where you need to eat to your goals but you aren't starving, or perhaps you are eating late at night and want something low volume so as not to upset your stomach.

eating a donut in these situations is a great way to meet my carb and fat macros. It will be a great way to meet my carb and fat macros when I'm in maintenance and when I start my first bulk some time next year, and since I do not plan on eating any differently in any of these situations other than with respect to caloric intake, there is no need for me to not utilize donuts to fulfill macro needs if it's what I'm desiring on that day. That's the beauty of moderation and eating a balanced diet: you don't see anything wrong or bad about eating something you want to eat.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    STOP talking about donuts!! I love those little suckers but they make me feel sick and I certainly don't have the time to make GF ones. :'(
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When will it be time to start sharing progress pictures?

I will!

Starting weight: 232.3

mp5gq0oiqvpa.jpg

Yesterday (day 235). Weight: 168.8

ah7ffhx5gaxx.jpg

Total pounds lost 63.5 (so far). Yay!
    Edited.

Silly me, offering congratulations when the pictures were posted to be nasty.

Should've known, since MrM was involved. I couldn't figure it out, why the posting of pics for no obvious reason, but thought it seemed appropriate to congratulate when congratulations seemed in order.

You got me, I guess, lol. I fell for it.

I didn't post my photos to be nasty. Photos were asked for, so I (obviously stupidly) posted them, because I'm proud of how much I've accomplished.

It feels crappier than I would have thought to be accused otherwise. :/
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt before. My mistake.

Some might believe you're an unwitting pawn in MrM's nastiness. Not me.

I'm not sure what I've done to bring you to that conclusion. I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I'm not a cruel person, nor am I a pawn.

Best of luck to you.
    Right. You and your friend MrM are just friends having fun with no nastiness intended because there is no nastiness on the boards. Any perceived nastiness is done to help others.

Go sing it to someone else. I've heard the tune before.

Let me make myself crystal clear.

Unless I'm directly quoting you, my post(s) have nothing to do with you. I don't do passive aggression. I much prefer aggression.

MrM and I barely speak and when we do, it's on the public forums - for all to see. We've never, ever had a private message exchange, nor do we make nefarious plans together revolving around you in some other mythical place. In fact, most of the time when we do post to each other, we're disagreeing. Much like you and I. The difference is he doesn't make character judgements against me when I disagree with him. Nor does he assume that a totally innocuous post is all part of a plan to make him feel bad/stupid/insert word here.

I wasn't having fun when I posted my pictures, I was feeling pride (yesterday marked the date I made it into the 160's). So you can think whatever you wish of me, but the only thing I'm guilty of here is, perhaps, being egotistical. Which I'll gladly own.

I think we're done here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

They definitely are if that's what you are craving or if you are also in need of more sugar in your system. Or if you are in a position where you need to eat to your goals but you aren't starving, or perhaps you are eating late at night and want something low volume so as not to upset your stomach.

eating a donut in these situations is a great way to meet my carb and fat macros. It will be a great way to meet my carb and fat macros when I'm in maintenance and when I start my first bulk some time next year, and since I do not plan on eating any differently in any of these situations other than with respect to caloric intake, there is no need for me to not utilize donuts to fulfill macro needs if it's what I'm desiring on that day. That's the beauty of moderation and eating a balanced diet: you don't see anything wrong or bad about eating something you want to eat.
    Not a lot of donuts in that "clean" log
    Of yours.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SORRY TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR REHASHING THIS DEAD HORSE
    [
    Except 20 pages ago you were saying that it is poor advice to eat junk food in moderation, when it isn't. Making good food choices does not simply mean eatng veggies and chicken, it means understanding your caloric and nutrient intake, and about how to eat things you enjoy instead of making yourself miserable by cutting out things you enjoy eating. And to understand how junk food can be used to help you reach your macronutrient goals as well, and how macros benefit body composition along with lifting weights.

So teaching someone to make good choices is not "here's some broccoli and turkey."

I think you missed a couple of posts:

I agree with you wholeheartedly -- to lose weight, know your numbers then meet them by eating less of most foods, eating rarely of some foods, and planning for the higher calories foods.
    I don't think of any food as bad food. I think some foods are better choices for daily long-term fullness, but hell, I just had 2 slices of pizza last night for dinner and a muffin and latte for breakfast, and I'm still down two pounds. CICO works.

You are absolutely right that when people think they have to restrict, they get pissed off and act out through overeating .

I also agree with you that if people learn that food is not bad, and they learn to stay in a deficit, then they will have better long term sustainable success.

[If your position is that] some people can fit McBurgers into their meals all day long while for someone else, a McBurger needs to be saved up for[,] I'd agree with that[.]

So.

Based on this exchange, I can see where we got sidetracked 20 pages ago. My argument is not, and has never been, that people have to eliminate junk food from their diet. I've never argued the position that people have to limit their food to chicken, vegetables, turkey and broccoli.

My position is that when told to eat what they want, just in moderation, many people will follow that advice and continue eating what they want -- high calorie low nutrition food -- just in moderation. In order to meet their numbers, they'll have so little food available to them that they will end up hungry and overeat on calories.***

Much better advice would be to educate them about making good food choices that helps them understand their caloric and nutrient intake, and to educate them about eating things they enjoy while meeting their macronutrient goals.

*** several other posters have made excellent points that I agree with. Lemurcat said that many people already eat a good diet, just too much, so "eat what you want, just in moderation" is good advice for them. I agree.

Someone else said (sorry I can't remember who) that I haven't allowed for the fact that many (most?) people aren't so stupid as to just eat junk food all day -- that they would start making better food choices without being told. I'm on the fence about that one. Some would, for sure. Some wouldn't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nvm. So not worth it.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    jtt7xs.jpg

I can't believe i just read this whole thread and all its nastiness. Whew.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My position is that when told to eat what they want, just in moderation, many people will follow that advice and continue eating what they want -- high calorie low nutrition food -- just in moderation. In order to meet their macros, they'll have so little food available to them that they will end up hungry and overeat on calories.

But it's a calorie counting app. Isn't the huge overage in red letters (numbers, actually) a pretty awesome clue? Some things go without saying, or the tool tells you. When you mark your diary complete with a 1,000 calorie overage it will also tell you that if you ate like this everyday, you would weigh 10 lbs more in five weeks. These things are built into the MFP app. Everyone will see it whether or not it is spelled out on the forums... The advice is being given with the assumption and context that the reader is a calorie counting MFP member. Is this not correct?

Oh never mind, you said rehash so I assumed we were still discussing just the sample menu. Frankly there have been some posts where the OP's diary had tons of "junk" and they were complaining of hunger, and they were advised to get some nutrient dense food into their diet. I was actually quite shocked, everyone posting seemed to agree on this. But the most common advise I've seen to improve satiety is protein and fiber, and that can still involve what you want, just at further reduced calories, I would imagine. Finally, those that can exercise are encouraged to. Because - Blizzards (for me, anyway)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

But it's a calorie counting app. Isn't the huge overage in red letters (numbers, actually) a pretty awesome clue? Some things go without saying, or the tool tells you. When you mark your diary complete with a 1,000 calorie overage it will also tell you that if you ate like this everyday, you would weigh 10 lbs more in five weeks. These things are built into the MFP app. Everyone will see it whether or not it is spelled out on the forums... The advice is being given with the assumption and context that the reader is a calorie counting MFP member. Is this not correct?

The first junk food in moderation menu I posted was way over with lots of red numbers.

The second menu I posted was half a dount and a latte, 1/2 a slice of pizza and a salad, 7 oz of KFC chicken, and green beans.

It met my numbers (1400 calories / day). It was actually under by 200 cal, over fat by 11 grams, but very close for carbs, protein, and sugar. I could have added two pats of butter, or a tablespoon of coconut oil and hit my numbers exactly.

My point was and is that by eating junk food in moderation, I'd be really hungry and I'd overeat. On that menu, I'd be hungry.

It might be enough for other people. I don't know. No one stepped up and said they could eat like that every day and be fine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

The first junk food in moderation menu I posted was way over with lots of red numbers.

The second menu I posted was half a dount and a latte, 1/2 a slice of pizza and a salad, 7 oz of KFC chicken, and green beans.

It met my numbers (1400 calories / day). It was actually under by 200 cal, over fat by 11 grams, but very close for carbs, protein, and sugar. I could have added two pats of butter, or a tablespoon of coconut oil and hit my numbers exactly.

My point was and is that by eating junk food in moderation, I'd be really hungry and I'd overeat. On that menu, I'd be hungry.

It might be enough for other people. I don't know. No one stepped up and said they could eat like that every day and be fine.

"Satiety and preference" is a pretty common caveat I've seen attached to calorie counting advice. If your tummy is still grumbling, chances are something could stand to be tweaked. The 1200 calorie menu, for starters :bigsmile: That's the main reason I personally wouldn't implement that sample menu, followed by I don't drink my calories in general (black coffee, anyone?), but I do indeed prefer a sugary breakfast - muffins, donuts, bagels, that sort of thing. I do not practice IIFYM
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

"Satiety and preference" is a pretty common caveat I've seen attached to calorie counting advice. If your tummy is still grumbling, chances are something could stand to be tweaked. The 1200 calorie menu, for starters :bigsmile: That's the main reason I personally wouldn't implement that sample menu, followed by I don't drink my calories in general (black coffee, anyone?), but I do indeed prefer a sugary breakfast - muffins, donuts, bagels, that sort of thing. I do not practice IIFYM
    Some of us have to average 1200 calories and exercise to lose weight. Not even lose quickly. Slowly lose!

I'm happy for all the people who get to eat lots and lots and can easily work in yummy treats...well, happy for them until that start bragging about it, lol...but it's just not possible for everyone.

I have the occasional 1400-1500 day and the occasional 900-100 day, but every month averages out to like 1225 or something close to 1200.

It's really hard to work 400 calorie muffins into a 1200 calorie day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I mentioned that it needs to scale to individual TDEE back on like page 5.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

^^this^^ Diedre your MACROS aren't anything like my MACROS or other people who have customized them for their individual goals.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

I think... they're saying that if your calorie target is super low, you'd want to spend them making sure your hunger pangs don't bore a hole through your stomach and there would be little to no room left for sugary treats. Just nutritious, possibly great tasting, lower calorie, high volume hunger satisfying food

Now accepting this obviously means one has agreed that the calories must be set that low...
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SORRY TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR REHASHING THIS DEAD HORSE

That is fine Deirdre, I just wish everyone would stop talking about donuts.lol

I feel sorry for you as I have heard you say the same thing over and over in a dozen different ways and you still have to explain yourself. Congratulations on your endurance and perseverance. I loved your summary post, after a night's sleep I was able to get up to speed quickly but you, have you slept or eaten since all this begun?
This discussion has been closed.