Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Actually you are all correct - my statement was not well thought out and I am going to delete it until I work out what I do mean. I couldn't sleep last night and spent half the night reading this enormous thread and I am sleep deprived and hungry so I'm off to have lunch - tuna and salad. I consider that healthy food - donuts, dr pepper, those horrible foods that sit in the local deli etc are junk to me.

Now TheVirgoddess - don't get irritated, life is too short for that. :D There are a heap of things I consider junk food but honestly how does that effect you in any way. I have eaten this way for most of my life and aren't about to change now. My body lets me know if it is junk as I will lack energy, have a headache, foggy mind, bloated and in general wish to goodness I had never eaten it in the first place because it is JUNK!! :)

Yeah, sure. donuts are "junk," but they are also delicious, help me meet my macro goals, and make me pscyhologically pleased. I go through a box of 6 donuts in probably 1-2 months, and then can go months without buying donuts again. That's the nice thing about moderation for me, it's helped me stop binging and just eat these foods in non-ridiculous amounts and only when I actually feel like eating them. I practice moderation wtih all foods (healthy or not healthy).

Donuts help you meet your macro goals. heh.

Actually donuts will help you meet your macros goal. They're mainly carbs so they will count against your carb macros.

That's why just focusing on calories and macro's for a healthy diet is so flawed!

Not really. I focus on calories and macros (I really only focus on protein and having a good macro ratio for breakfast and lunch, though), and this enables me to eat pretty much anything. If I eat a late dinner and I see that I have to fill out 100g of carbs, I'm probably going to opt for a donut because I'd rather calorically dense intake that late at night so as to minimize stomach upset.

Donuts are great for carb macro needs. THey are not going to help you meet your protein needs, though. So clearly, one will need to eat other things like meat or fish or poultry. And fat intake? Well I can eat fatty meat or I can add butter or peanut butter. And do I want to only eat donuts all day? No, because I enjoy fruits and vegetables as well.

Moderation means one can eat any food, and that generally doesn't result in only eating donuts.

It's flawed because if I eat what i want, but in moderation then how am I making sure I'm getting all the micro nutrients I need.

My food choice may be - breakfast McDonalds: Sausage and egg mcmuffin with a hash brown (sticking to one hash, because I'm eating in moderation) and drink of choice full fat coke! Lunch at pizza hut (not a whole pizza, because I'm eating in moderation and for dinner something with chicken in a sweet sauce (maybe sweet & sour) and rice!

Now I may meet my macros and calories eating those things, I will eat them all in moderation because I have will power, so I stay in a calorie deficit.

But I'm a creature of habit and eat this everyday, because this is the food i WANT! I think before long I may be suffering the effects of some vitamin deficiencies.

So yes - for a healthy diet, it does matter what you eat and not just meeting you cals and Macros.

For a healthy diet it's important that we hit our micros. Any cals left after that can be used up eating anything we WANT!

I lol'ed because Coke has no fat.

Also, to be fair.. your OP was about weight loss, not eating for health.

Well I mean, unless you add butter to it or something.

As I understand it, the "full fat" thing in reference to soda is common across the pond. You'll hear it used all over those "Secret Eater" shows on YouTube for example

Wait, do European pops have fat in thejm? Or are Europeans adding fat to their pop? I have no idea what "Secret Eater" is :/
    It's a TV show. You wouldn't like it. They have the idea that some food is healthy and some should be limited or eliminated.

I'd say it'd be right up the typical MFP'ers alley because it's a calorie counting show. People come to them with the "oh nooz! I eat so little and weigh so much" complaint. They ask them to estimate their calories eaten and the women are magically in the 1500-2000 calorie range and somehow weighing 21 stone... Then they rig their apartment with video equipment but don't tell them they'll be followed all over the place including outside of the home and their calories recorded for a week. At the end of which the inevitable, "OH WAIT THE VODKA, WINGS, BURGERS, AND CHIPS COUNT TOO?!?!?" ensues...

They had some pretty cool strategies like drinking from skinny glasses, or how much of a large meal you ate if you already had a small snack beforehand. I don't remember that much about elimination diets but my memory may be foggy
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Actually you are all correct - my statement was not well thought out and I am going to delete it until I work out what I do mean. I couldn't sleep last night and spent half the night reading this enormous thread and I am sleep deprived and hungry so I'm off to have lunch - tuna and salad. I consider that healthy food - donuts, dr pepper, those horrible foods that sit in the local deli etc are junk to me.

Now TheVirgoddess - don't get irritated, life is too short for that. :D There are a heap of things I consider junk food but honestly how does that effect you in any way. I have eaten this way for most of my life and aren't about to change now. My body lets me know if it is junk as I will lack energy, have a headache, foggy mind, bloated and in general wish to goodness I had never eaten it in the first place because it is JUNK!! :)

Yeah, sure. donuts are "junk," but they are also delicious, help me meet my macro goals, and make me pscyhologically pleased. I go through a box of 6 donuts in probably 1-2 months, and then can go months without buying donuts again. That's the nice thing about moderation for me, it's helped me stop binging and just eat these foods in non-ridiculous amounts and only when I actually feel like eating them. I practice moderation wtih all foods (healthy or not healthy).

Actually donuts will help you meet your macros goal. They're mainly carbs so they will count against your carb macros.

That's why just focusing on calories and macro's for a healthy diet is so flawed!

Not really. I focus on calories and macros (I really only focus on protein and having a good macro ratio for breakfast and lunch, though), and this enables me to eat pretty much anything. If I eat a late dinner and I see that I have to fill out 100g of carbs, I'm probably going to opt for a donut because I'd rather calorically dense intake that late at night so as to minimize stomach upset.

Donuts are great for carb macro needs. THey are not going to help you meet your protein needs, though. So clearly, one will need to eat other things like meat or fish or poultry. And fat intake? Well I can eat fatty meat or I can add butter or peanut butter. And do I want to only eat donuts all day? No, because I enjoy fruits and vegetables as well.

Moderation means one can eat any food, and that generally doesn't result in only eating donuts.

It's flawed because if I eat what i want, but in moderation then how am I making sure I'm getting all the micro nutrients I need.

My food choice may be - breakfast McDonalds: Sausage and egg mcmuffin with a hash brown (sticking to one hash, because I'm eating in moderation) and drink of choice full fat coke! Lunch at pizza hut (not a whole pizza, because I'm eating in moderation and for dinner something with chicken in a sweet sauce (maybe sweet & sour) and rice!

Now I may meet my macros and calories eating those things, I will eat them all in moderation because I have will power, so I stay in a calorie deficit.

But I'm a creature of habit and eat this everyday, because this is the food i WANT! I think before long I may be suffering the effects of some vitamin deficiencies.

So yes - for a healthy diet, it does matter what you eat and not just meeting you cals and Macros.

For a healthy diet it's important that we hit our micros. Any cals left after that can be used up eating anything we WANT!

As I understand it, the "full fat" thing in reference to soda is common across the pond. You'll hear it used all over those "Secret Eater" shows on YouTube for example

Wait, do European pops have fat in thejm? Or are Europeans adding fat to their pop? I have no idea what "Secret Eater" is :/
    It's a TV show. You wouldn't like it. They have the idea that some food is healthy and some should be limited or eliminated.

I'd say it'd be right up the typical MFP'ers alley because it's a calorie counting show. People come to them with the "oh nooz! I eat so little and weigh so much" complaint. They ask them to estimate their calories eaten and the women are magically in the 1500-2000 calorie range and somehow weighing 21 stone... Then they rig their apartment with video equipment but don't tell them they'll be followed all over the place including outside of the home and their calories recorded for a week. At the end of which the inevitable, "OH WAIT THE VODKA, WINGS, BURGERS, AND CHIPS COUNT TOO?!?!?" ensues...

They had some pretty cool strategies like drinking from skinny glasses, or how much of a large meal you ate if you already had a small snack beforehand. I don't remember that much about elimination diets but my memory may be foggy
    Sorry, I was confused and explaining it when you obviously know the show. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs. All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost. But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Holy *kitten*. I mean this is the wrong thread for this explanation but no it doesn't contain any fat. The slang term is evidently used because it just "makes you that way"!! Ya know, that's just a guess - why don't we wait for a Brit to explain it all? :bigsmile:
    It's much like saying the pop is "fattening." Makes you fat. That kind of thing. They're not anti-Pepsi or anything.

It's a show where people say they e done everything they can to lose weight and eat healthy diets. They put cameras in the homes. The people eat okay there.

But they also follow them around with PIs and log all the stuff they didn't report, which is almost exclusively junk food and restaurant food, lol.

Supersize vs. Superskinny is another good one. You get one person who is nearly anorexic and one who is OBEEEESE and they have to eat what the other one eats for a week.

Super v Super is the better show, IMO. :)

See I actually decided I didn't like that one. At the end of the show the super skinny chick gains a whopping five pounds to become maybe 105 and the whole world agrees she's perfectly smoking hot! The fat guy loses like 50 and is drooling over the skinny girl... Puh-lease. Five damn pounds makes that much of a difference that's a one day fluctuation for many people. To me they were just using the obviously perfect thin person to motivate the fat one. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! humph!!

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Sorry, I was confused and explaining it when you obviously know the show. :)

Haha no big I enjoyed your post. I just meant I didn't want to be responsible for saying "soda makes you fat" in this of all threads and wanted a Brit to take the heat. :cold_sweat:
  • ana3067
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When will it be time to start sharing progress pictures?

I will!

Starting weight: 232.3

mp5gq0oiqvpa.jpg

Yesterday (day 235). Weight: 168.8

ah7ffhx5gaxx.jpg

Total pounds lost 63.5 (so far). Yay!
    Edited.

Silly me, offering congratulations when the pictures were posted to be nasty.

Should've known, since MrM was involved. I couldn't figure it out, why the posting of pics for no obvious reason, but thought it seemed appropriate to congratulate when congratulations seemed in order.

You got me, I guess, lol. I fell for it.

I didn't post my photos to be nasty. Photos were asked for, so I (obviously stupidly) posted them, because I'm proud of how much I've accomplished.

It feels crappier than I would have thought to be accused otherwise. :/
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt before. My mistake.

Some might believe you're an unwitting pawn in MrM's nastiness. Not me.

I'm not sure what I've done to bring you to that conclusion. I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I'm not a cruel person, nor am I a pawn.

Best of luck to you.
    Right. You and your friend MrM are just friends having fun with no nastiness intended because there is no nastiness on the boards. Any perceived nastiness is done to help others.

Go sing it to someone else. I've heard the tune before.

relax-gif.gif
  • Kalikel
    Options

Holy *kitten*. I mean this is the wrong thread for this explanation but no it doesn't contain any fat. The slang term is evidently used because it just "makes you that way"!! Ya know, that's just a guess - why don't we wait for a Brit to explain it all? :bigsmile:
    It's much like saying the pop is "fattening." Makes you fat. That kind of thing. They're not anti-Pepsi or anything.

It's a show where people say they e done everything they can to lose weight and eat healthy diets. They put cameras in the homes. The people eat okay there.

But they also follow them around with PIs and log all the stuff they didn't report, which is almost exclusively junk food and restaurant food, lol.

Supersize vs. Superskinny is another good one. You get one person who is nearly anorexic and one who is OBEEEESE and they have to eat what the other one eats for a week.

See I actually decided I didn't like that one. At the end of the show the super skinny chick gains a whopping five pounds to become maybe 105 and the whole world agrees she's perfectly smoking hot! The fat guy loses like 50 and is drooling over the skinny girl... Puh-lease. Five damn pounds makes that much of a difference that's a one day fluctuation for many people. To me they were just using the obviously perfect thin person to motivate the fat one. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! humph!!
    No, they get women (usually women) who are heading into anorexic territory or just have generally disordered thinking regarding food. It's just as hard for them to eat that stuff. That's the part I enjoy the most, lol. These tiny little women who don't want to eat being forced to eat huge piles of junk food. I like the obese ones staring at their plates and the skinny women, too. But watching those skinny girls...lol, it cracks me up. They're always finally saying, "Look, I tried really hard. If I eat more, I'll vomit." The funny part is that their telling the truth.

I feel badly for both sides, but I guess I just think it's harder for he skinny ones to force in all that food than it is for the fat ones to do without. Maybe that's because I've done the doing without.

I want to go on record as saying that I'm not making fun of the anorexics. I know they suffer and am not laughing at them for having problems or making fun of them for having those problems. Just watching them try to shove all that food in, lol...and their faces.

Secret Eaters is good, too. Different strokes. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

No, they get women (usually women) who are heading into anorexic territory or just have generally disordered thinking regarding food. It's just as hard for them to eat that stuff. That's the part I enjoy the most, lol. These tiny little women who don't want to eat being forced to eat huge piles of junk food. I like the obese ones staring at their plates and the skinny women, too. But watching those skinny girls...lol, it cracks me up. They're always finally saying, "Look, I tried really hard. If I eat more, I'll vomit." The funny part is that their telling the truth.

I feel badly for both sides, but I guess I just think it's harder for he skinny ones to force in all that food than it is for the fat ones to do without. Maybe that's because I've done the doing without.

I want to go on record as saying that I'm not making fun of the anorexics. I know they suffer and am not laughing at them for having problems or making fun of them for having those problems. Just watching them try to shove all that food in, lol...and their faces.

Personally I find this type of media programing disgusting.

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I call Coke "leaded" and Diet Coke "unleaded" lol. I hope nobody takes me literally.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs. All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost. But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!

I'd say the challenge is to sensationalize the concept and turn it into a TV show that gets good ratings and sells ads. I mean look at how angry many users get due to the ads and ad placement on MFP. 'Secret Eaters' TV show have done quite a bit by communicating the calorie counting concept, IMO. They just intersperse it with the "tips" bit about four times during the show I think
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where this thread has gone - I got weary at page 5. I did want to add this:

Going dessert free is a good option for some people. Not everyone fits the mold of the typical dieter. I feel better in every way when I don't eat desserts. I only put this out there because I fear there are those who may feel bullied into thinking that they will be doomed to diet failure unless they include a dessert in their diet. It's simply not true.

I make no recommendations about eating or not eating desserts. It's a decision that each person needs to make on his own. That decision should be respected by others.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs.

All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost.

But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!

Ana, you are exactly right. Teaching people how to make good food choices is excellent advice. All those tips and tricks that let people eat what they want, but in little portions, only gets you so far. Learning about proper macro balance and calories is much more valuable information.

You could have just agreed with me 20 pages and and saved us all a lot of trouble.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I bought 2 scones at Whole Foods. One was sugar free the other was not. The sugar free one had 250 calories, the regular one had 210 calories. Watch out for sugar free claims.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Personally I find this type of media programing disgusting.

I wouldn't argue with you. I'd jump up on the bandwagons for most of them. I just love Super v Super.

I especially liked the year they had that group of women trying all the different gizmos as part of the Ban Big Bums thing.

But I understand your disgust and you're probably very right. :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I must admit MrM27, I was surprised by your photo as you look like such a nice young man.

You know what they say... Can't judge a book by it's Christmas Photo
  • ana3067
    Options

I'd say the challenge is to sensationalize the concept and turn it into a TV show that gets good ratings and sells ads. I mean look at how angry many users get due to the ads and ad placement on MFP. 'Secret Eaters' TV show have done quite a bit by communicating the calorie counting concept, IMO. They just intersperse it with the "tips" bit about four times during the show I think

True, I don't think the following around part is bad at all, but afterwards I think it'd be better to help teach people to understand caloric intake and how that influences weight so that people can be more successful long-term. If they are helping to teach about caloric intake though then that's good - I just assumed you meant that all they say is 'now eat your meals on thsi tiny plate and you'll lose weight" lol. THat is basically what I did, coupled with "clean eating," but it didn't actually teach me jack about WHY what I did helped. I don't think I even knew what calories really were and how it all worked, and this knowledge is much more helpful than just "eat a smaller portion"!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    I'm not sure where this thread has gone - I got weary at page 5.

Not sure how it happened but this thread now has over one thousand posts and going strong. Strangely enough there is another "Sugar" thread which is also getting plenty of attention at the moment as well. Could I be wrong or have we turned the corner and are allowed to freely posts our thoughts and are able to conduct a discussion without it turning too nasty. This thread has had its moments in that regard but from what I have read a lot of it has been from misreading or misunderstandings or plain frustration. In the past, I have seen threads deliberately sabotaged to stop people from having their say.

Edited to say someone actually used the term "clean eating" OMG will this be the end of the thread.lol
  • ana3067
    Options

Oh jeez. I feel like it'd just be easier to teach people how to understand caloric values of food types so they can make better choices to meet their caloric intake needs.

All those little portion sizing tips and tricks only got me so far 4-5 years ago, and I was spinning my wheels trying to lose another 10-15lbs that I never lost.

But I also knew nothing of proper macro balance or calories at the time, and was trying to get out of my skinny-fatness. Never happened!

Ana, you are exactly right. Teaching people how to make good food choices is excellent advice. All those tips and tricks that let people eat what they want, but in little portions, only gets you so far. Learning about proper macro balance and calories is much more valuable information.

You could have just agreed with me 20 pages and and saved us all a lot of trouble.
    Except 20 pages ago you were saying that it is poor advice to eat junk food in moderation, when it isn't. Making good food choices does not simply mean eatng veggies and chicken, it means understanding your caloric and nutrient intake, and about how to eat things you enjoy instead of making yourself miserable by cutting out things you enjoy eating. And to understand how junk food can be used to help you reach your macronutrient goals as well, and how macros benefit body composition along with lifting weights.

So teaching someone to make good choices is not "here's some broccoli and turkey."
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    MrM, that is not how I remember the "little drummer boy" :D
This discussion has been closed.