Sugar - possibly the easiest thing to cut back on for weight loss!

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Now I feel like that was sarcasm that went over my head and I look like a big idiot right now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When will it be time to start sharing progress pictures?

I will!

Starting weight: 232.3

mp5gq0oiqvpa.jpg

Yesterday (day 235). Weight: 168.8

ah7ffhx5gaxx.jpg

Total pounds lost 63.5 (so far). Yay!
    Edited.

Silly me, offering congratulations when the pictures were posted to be nasty.

Should've known, since MrM was involved. I couldn't figure it out, why the posting of pics for no obvious reason, but thought it seemed appropriate to congratulate when congratulations seemed in order.

You got me, I guess, lol. I fell for it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    How are they different?

Telling people to eat glass, just in moderation, is terrible advice.
    Telling people to eat pavement, just in moderation, is terrible advice.
    Telling people to eat fur, just in moderation, is terrible advice.
    Telling people to eat rancid meat, just in moderation, is terrible advice.
    Telling people to eat trees, just in moderation, is terrible advice.

and wait for it!

Telling people to eat what they want, just in moderation, is terrible advice.

If you think any one of those sentences is the same as "Telling people to eat in moderation is terrible advice," I swear to god I will mail your response to the English department at your college and strong arm them in forcing you to retake English Comp I.

I'm still unsure if you're trying to imply that people who are told they can eat what they want in moderation are too stupid to realize that blowing all their calories on chips in the day every day is not a good idea, or if you're trying to imply that eating certain kinds of food is equal to eating glass.
    Neither of those interpretations seem good.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have sort of progress pics up on my page now, and a new one I just uploaded. But I never took any before pics at 188lbs because... I was 188lbs and I hated my body lol. Actually I do have some pics on my old cell phone, if I can find them I will have to upload and compare to my more recent pics

K here are some random progress pics of the few body pictures I have! ETA based on when the first pics were taken there is probably a 12-15lb loss. no pics of me at 188 that I could find, I know I reached 175 by the end of August.

I THINK these are in august this summer:
    CAM00081_zpsjvnm44sl.jpg
    CAM00080_zps0texvo1q.jpg

then again this summer, I think before the 2 above pics and here I am sucking in
    CAM00035_zps7m2hquwq.jpg

same shirt, sucking in a bit
    WIN_20141114_174211_zps42fb1409.jpg

Start Dec not sucking in:
    WIN_20141201_072029_zps4d82165b.jpg
    WIN_20141201_072038_zpse8c9e636.jpg
    WIN_20141201_072006_zpsc176bf79.jpg

and today not sucking in
    IMG_20141214_091028_zpsrcru34ok.jpg
    IMG_20141214_091212_zpsntpzkh9x.jpg
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Actually you are all correct - my statement was not well thought out and I am going to delete it until I work out what I do mean. I couldn't sleep last night and spent half the night reading this enormous thread and I am sleep deprived and hungry so I'm off to have lunch - tuna and salad. I consider that healthy food - donuts, dr pepper, those horrible foods that sit in the local deli etc are junk to me.

Now TheVirgoddess - don't get irritated, life is too short for that. :D There are a heap of things I consider junk food but honestly how does that effect you in any way. I have eaten this way for most of my life and aren't about to change now. My body lets me know if it is junk as I will lack energy, have a headache, foggy mind, bloated and in general wish to goodness I had never eaten it in the first place because it is JUNK!! :)

Yeah, sure. donuts are "junk," but they are also delicious, help me meet my macro goals, and make me pscyhologically pleased. I go through a box of 6 donuts in probably 1-2 months, and then can go months without buying donuts again. That's the nice thing about moderation for me, it's helped me stop binging and just eat these foods in non-ridiculous amounts and only when I actually feel like eating them. I practice moderation wtih all foods (healthy or not healthy).

Donuts help you meet your macro goals. heh.

Actually donuts will help you meet your macros goal. They're mainly carbs so they will count against your carb macros.

That's why just focusing on calories and macro's for a healthy diet is so flawed!

Lol thanks for the BHB hit!

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Now I feel like that was sarcasm that went over my head and I look like a big idiot right now.

No you look fantastic. Congrats!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Here's the cliff notes:

1. Carbs and fat do all kinds of good things, so if you want to lose weight, cutting sugar, which only does one or two things, is the best place to start cutting calories!
    2. No it isn't.
    3. Yes it is no it isn't (up to page six).
    4. Page seven -- I'm calling bs on eating what you want in moderation. Here's a moderate menu of junk food that is super high in calories.
    7. That's not moderation because it doesn't meet your numbers.
    10. Well here's a menu of junk food that meets my calories and my macros. It's so little food that I would be hungry all the time.
    11. That's still not moderation.
    12. Yes it is.
    13. No it isn't.
    14. People who struggle with controlling their food intake just lack willpower.
    15. Where do we get willpower from
    16. From the dictionary! (dictionary definition of will power provided)
    17. Willpower willpower willpower for a couple of pages, including studies of willpower that show it's a depletable source, not a constant.
    18. Then about seven pages dedicated to whether or not "telling people to eat what they want, even in moderation, is terrible advice" means "telling people to eat in moderation is terrible advice."
    19. And here we are.

I probably missed some subthreads -- feel free to add any salient points I missed!

Best post of the thread - including my opening one!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote:
    For me, access to food doesn't change how I eat. Knowing and setting my goals is what changes how much food I eat. I divide my calories into 3 (or 4) meals, log before I eat, and I don't snack between meals.

Other than at the stores, would you say your access to these items is the same as most other people's? Consider the locations I mentioned such as treats brought in at work, or the full menu available at various restaurants. You may not be able to properly evaluate the full effect of access if yours is greatly limited compared to others. I've stated my conclusion in advance but I'm still just asking. I'm not personally familiar with any GF individuals so I may be missing some details on daily nutrition

my access to food isn't really different from others. If I go to a restaurant, then I cannot choose from as many options, but I can still wind up choosing something high calorie (I ate a 700+ calorie salad like 2 weeks ago at a restaurant). I work in retail once a week (still a student), but if people do bring in food to work and it's something I can eat, I generally won't eat it because I have my own food in the back or because I can't weigh it and don't want to bother estimating. We have a lot of food in our house, we have like 6 chocolate bars in the kitchen. I have a snickers bar still in my room that I keep forgetting about. If I go grocery shopping there are a lot of options that I can choose from that are GF.

But yeah, access to food hasn't changed how I eat. When I did try eating gluten again earlier this year (didn't work, super bad symptoms after 2 months of it) the only difference was that I could choose between more fast food places. So now instead of say being able to choose between 10 places on campus, I might only be able to choose between 5. But I'm not limited to like, salad only everywhere.

I'd conclude that you don't have access to as wide a range of food choices at work or in restaurants, but I could see how there's plenty at home. Unless chocolate bars aren't really your weakness lol. I have a massive jar of peanut butter at home and I'm entirely "meh" about it. You do have some help with your fast food restaurants being cut down by 50% and possibly the choices off the menu in the ones you can dine in. By help I mean 50% less places where you either work in your craving, or more commonly you're driving by or walking by the restaurant and think, ooh I'm getting that! Unless of course your point is that you never do this, in which case, great job girl

Though I do remember a choice that you've made to prepare your own separate food in the house or at least prepare the food everyone eats, which is a laudable but possibly somewhat uncomfortable choice that not everyone would make

I used to eat like 4 chocolate bars in a sitting, so at one point they were a weakness. But I eat everything in moderation now. I'd actually say I'm more likely to overdo it on eggs now.

I generally do not randomly walk to a store and decide to eat something. I plan it ahead of time, but if it happens spontaneously it's not a big deal and I don't care if I go over my calories in that case. But I've had times where I've gone into a grocery store, bought a few bags of cookies, and had them on me for a few hours without eating them.

But access to food still does not change my eating habits. The only way it changes my eating habits are that it changes WHAT I eat, not how much I eat. E.g. if we have almost nothing at home I am likely going to use protein powder for a few meals to meet protein needs. Or if we don't have pasta I might do rice instead. Etc. But if I'm in a situation where there is a lot of food I don't just automatically eat like 2000 calories just because. I know my goals and I eat to meet my goals whenever possible.

I'd argue that the "what" is very closely intertwined with the "how much" since it automatically limits it. For example if even a small quantity of food in a buffet was some sort of instant turn off, that potentially could switch off my appetite.

But overall I sorta see what you're saying and how your behaviors are contributing to your success. You could probably make the most formidable argument on moderation and many of us will still be stuck on GF :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    TVG and Ana,

Good job!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

No you look fantastic. Congrats!

This!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Yes WD Ana!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Actually you are all correct - my statement was not well thought out and I am going to delete it until I work out what I do mean. I couldn't sleep last night and spent half the night reading this enormous thread and I am sleep deprived and hungry so I'm off to have lunch - tuna and salad. I consider that healthy food - donuts, dr pepper, those horrible foods that sit in the local deli etc are junk to me.

Now TheVirgoddess - don't get irritated, life is too short for that. :D There are a heap of things I consider junk food but honestly how does that effect you in any way. I have eaten this way for most of my life and aren't about to change now. My body lets me know if it is junk as I will lack energy, have a headache, foggy mind, bloated and in general wish to goodness I had never eaten it in the first place because it is JUNK!! :)

Yeah, sure. donuts are "junk," but they are also delicious, help me meet my macro goals, and make me pscyhologically pleased. I go through a box of 6 donuts in probably 1-2 months, and then can go months without buying donuts again. That's the nice thing about moderation for me, it's helped me stop binging and just eat these foods in non-ridiculous amounts and only when I actually feel like eating them. I practice moderation wtih all foods (healthy or not healthy).

Actually donuts will help you meet your macros goal. They're mainly carbs so they will count against your carb macros.

That's why just focusing on calories and macro's for a healthy diet is so flawed!

Not really. I focus on calories and macros (I really only focus on protein and having a good macro ratio for breakfast and lunch, though), and this enables me to eat pretty much anything. If I eat a late dinner and I see that I have to fill out 100g of carbs, I'm probably going to opt for a donut because I'd rather calorically dense intake that late at night so as to minimize stomach upset.

Donuts are great for carb macro needs. THey are not going to help you meet your protein needs, though. So clearly, one will need to eat other things like meat or fish or poultry. And fat intake? Well I can eat fatty meat or I can add butter or peanut butter. And do I want to only eat donuts all day? No, because I enjoy fruits and vegetables as well.

Moderation means one can eat any food, and that generally doesn't result in only eating donuts.

It's flawed because if I eat what i want, but in moderation then how am I making sure I'm getting all the micro nutrients I need.

My food choice may be - breakfast McDonalds: Sausage and egg mcmuffin with a hash brown (sticking to one hash, because I'm eating in moderation) and drink of choice full fat coke! Lunch at pizza hut (not a whole pizza, because I'm eating in moderation and for dinner something with chicken in a sweet sauce (maybe sweet & sour) and rice!

Now I may meet my macros and calories eating those things, I will eat them all in moderation because I have will power, so I stay in a calorie deficit.

But I'm a creature of habit and eat this everyday, because this is the food i WANT! I think before long I may be suffering the effects of some vitamin deficiencies.

So yes - for a healthy diet, it does matter what you eat and not just meeting you cals and Macros.

For a healthy diet it's important that we hit our micros. Any cals left after that can be used up eating anything we WANT!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I will!

mp5gq0oiqvpa.jpg

ah7ffhx5gaxx.jpg

Edited.

Should've known, since MrM was involved. I couldn't figure it out, why the posting of pics for no obvious reason, but thought it seemed appropriate to congratulate when congratulations seemed in order.

I'm sure they weren't.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Edited.

I don't know about nasty. As someone equally surprised by the progress pics, I would guess it's the equivalent of cat gifs to end a thread when people are tired of going around in circles, but nicer :)

• tennisdude2004
    Options

I will!

mp5gq0oiqvpa.jpg

ah7ffhx5gaxx.jpg

Edited.

Hmmmm progress pictures posted to be nasty? It's called putting your money where your mouth is. To many people around here talk a big game and have nothing to show for it. If other people posting their progress is nasty then maybe you just have a little envy.

Of course you should have realized I was involved. I'm an evolution above you, you just can't keep up that's why you chose to ignore me

Lol - you crack me up dude - you should be on the comedy circuit with that routine!

i'm trying to work out what list santa told you, you were on! :)
  • ana3067
    Options

Not really. I focus on calories and macros (I really only focus on protein and having a good macro ratio for breakfast and lunch, though), and this enables me to eat pretty much anything. If I eat a late dinner and I see that I have to fill out 100g of carbs, I'm probably going to opt for a donut because I'd rather calorically dense intake that late at night so as to minimize stomach upset.

Donuts are great for carb macro needs. THey are not going to help you meet your protein needs, though. So clearly, one will need to eat other things like meat or fish or poultry. And fat intake? Well I can eat fatty meat or I can add butter or peanut butter. And do I want to only eat donuts all day? No, because I enjoy fruits and vegetables as well.

Moderation means one can eat any food, and that generally doesn't result in only eating donuts.

It's flawed because if I eat what i want, but in moderation then how am I making sure I'm getting all the micro nutrients I need.

My food choice may be - breakfast McDonalds: Sausage and egg mcmuffin with a hash brown (sticking to one hash, because I'm eating in moderation) and drink of choice full fat coke! Lunch at pizza hut (not a whole pizza, because I'm eating in moderation and for dinner something with chicken in a sweet sauce (maybe sweet & sour) and rice!

Now I may meet my macros and calories eating those things, I will eat them all in moderation because I have will power, so I stay in a calorie deficit.

But I'm a creature of habit and eat this everyday, because this is the food i WANT! I think before long I may be suffering the effects of some vitamin deficiencies.

So yes - for a healthy diet, it does matter what you eat and not just meeting you cals and Macros.

For a healthy diet it's important that we hit our micros. Any cals left after that can be used up eating anything we WANT!

Because one practices moderation with everything. Most people will likely learn early on that to eat only "junk food" within their calories does not promote satiety and probably might make some people feel ill. Also for anyone with body composition goals, macros are important. You cannot meet protein goals eating just donuts and mcdonald's all day, so by default you are still going to be eating more nutritious foods.

I eat everything I want. I happen to want fruits and veggies as well as chocolate. If someone is just starting on losing weight and rarely eats nutritious foods, then honestly it will probably be easier for them to learn how to properly consume food within caloric needs to lose weight by still eating their normal diet, and once they see that they can lose weight just eating low nutrient food then they can see that it's all about how much they eat. At this point the person will probably complain about being hungry all the time, and others would suggest eating more variety and paying attention to macros (protein and fat), and with that comes eating more nutritious food.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote:
    For me, access to food doesn't change how I eat. Knowing and setting my goals is what changes how much food I eat. I divide my calories into 3 (or 4) meals, log before I eat, and I don't snack between meals.

Other than at the stores, would you say your access to these items is the same as most other people's? Consider the locations I mentioned such as treats brought in at work, or the full menu available at various restaurants. You may not be able to properly evaluate the full effect of access if yours is greatly limited compared to others. I've stated my conclusion in advance but I'm still just asking. I'm not personally familiar with any GF individuals so I may be missing some details on daily nutrition

my access to food isn't really different from others. If I go to a restaurant, then I cannot choose from as many options, but I can still wind up choosing something high calorie (I ate a 700+ calorie salad like 2 weeks ago at a restaurant). I work in retail once a week (still a student), but if people do bring in food to work and it's something I can eat, I generally won't eat it because I have my own food in the back or because I can't weigh it and don't want to bother estimating. We have a lot of food in our house, we have like 6 chocolate bars in the kitchen. I have a snickers bar still in my room that I keep forgetting about. If I go grocery shopping there are a lot of options that I can choose from that are GF.

But yeah, access to food hasn't changed how I eat. When I did try eating gluten again earlier this year (didn't work, super bad symptoms after 2 months of it) the only difference was that I could choose between more fast food places. So now instead of say being able to choose between 10 places on campus, I might only be able to choose between 5. But I'm not limited to like, salad only everywhere.

I'd conclude that you don't have access to as wide a range of food choices at work or in restaurants, but I could see how there's plenty at home. Unless chocolate bars aren't really your weakness lol. I have a massive jar of peanut butter at home and I'm entirely "meh" about it. You do have some help with your fast food restaurants being cut down by 50% and possibly the choices off the menu in the ones you can dine in. By help I mean 50% less places where you either work in your craving, or more commonly you're driving by or walking by the restaurant and think, ooh I'm getting that! Unless of course your point is that you never do this, in which case, great job girl

Though I do remember a choice that you've made to prepare your own separate food in the house or at least prepare the food everyone eats, which is a laudable but possibly somewhat uncomfortable choice that not everyone would make

I used to eat like 4 chocolate bars in a sitting, so at one point they were a weakness. But I eat everything in moderation now. I'd actually say I'm more likely to overdo it on eggs now.

I generally do not randomly walk to a store and decide to eat something. I plan it ahead of time, but if it happens spontaneously it's not a big deal and I don't care if I go over my calories in that case. But I've had times where I've gone into a grocery store, bought a few bags of cookies, and had them on me for a few hours without eating them.

But access to food still does not change my eating habits. The only way it changes my eating habits are that it changes WHAT I eat, not how much I eat. E.g. if we have almost nothing at home I am likely going to use protein powder for a few meals to meet protein needs. Or if we don't have pasta I might do rice instead. Etc. But if I'm in a situation where there is a lot of food I don't just automatically eat like 2000 calories just because. I know my goals and I eat to meet my goals whenever possible.

I'd argue that the "what" is very closely intertwined with the "how much" since it automatically limits it. For example if even a small quantity of food in a buffet was some sort of instant turn off, that potentially could switch off my appetite.

But overall I sorta see what you're saying and how your behaviors are contributing to your success. You could probably make the most formidable argument on moderation and many of us will still be stuck on GF :laugh:

If I went to a buffet with really gross food though, then I will either go to a different restaurant or I will not eat muhc and then eat to the rest of my caloric needs at home (or another day if I could not make it work that day). I dunno why anyone would go to a restaurant they don't like though lol.

I personally do not see how not eating something that someone is allergic or sensitive to though relates to moderation, though.
This discussion has been closed.