Noticeable

Options
victoriaalice40
victoriaalice40 Posts: 68
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I am just curious as to when others noticed you lost weight and commented? I have lost 12 pounds total in about 30 days but no one has said anything at work, or at home. I am losing weight for me, but I am just curious if it is even noticeable yet. I have noticed in the way my clothes fit and I know that is all that matters. But... hello??? ha-ha. I do have a lot to lose still, so maybe that's why. Encouraging yourself is hard sometimes.

Replies

• LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 13 lbs and have had the same let down, but hang in there one day it wil be lake "BAM"
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest o the world to notice.

Give it another month, pretty soon your co-workers and family will look at you and say "hey, have you lost weight?"

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Took me about 30-40lbs for anyone to notice
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think I've heard that it takes around 30 pounds or so but it's going to be different for everyone depending on how overweight the person is, how she normally dresses, etc. For example, I've had people ask me after only 5 pounds or so but I'm short so 5 pounds is a lot more noticeable on me than on someone who is 6' tall.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25-30 lbs without really seeing anyone who didn't know what I was trying to accomplish. Then about 6 months after I was at my heaviest, a friend of mine commented on the fact my belly was gone and said she wished her fiance would lose his haha.

I didn't really have that much weight to lose at the start anyway. Your diary says you have about 93 lbs to lose so people probably won't notice much until you lose about 30-50.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My first wave of it was around 20 lbs lost. Now, at 35 lbs down, I have a different set people mentioning it (one today in the cafeteria actually).

You get all types of people. Some people will say something as soon as they notice. Some people will wait a while to be sure that you're losing weight before they say anything. Many people are too self absorbed to notice until you've lost like 100 lbs. And finally, a lot of people won't say anything ever because they think its rude to comment on someone's appearance.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    holyfenix wrote: »
    I lost about 25-30 lbs without really seeing anyone who didn't know what I was trying to accomplish. Then about 6 months after I was at my heaviest, a friend of mine commented on the fact my belly was gone and said she wished her fiance would lose his haha.

I didn't really have that much weight to lose at the start anyway. Your diary says you have about 93 lbs to lose so people probably won't notice much until you lose about 30-50.

^^^^ Yeah, that too^^^^ It will be much less noticable if you've got lots to lose.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Nobody said anything until I had lost 20 lb. Also, I am short.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I had lost 28 lbs that anyone said anything. At 30 lbs the comments were flying.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    A coworker said something probably around 10lbs lost. No one said anything after that until I was closer to 20lbs lost (my grandma). But I'm a) not overweight/obese, and b) focused on losing body fat. So my changes aren't HUGE, especially in areas like my legs - they are leaning out fat-wise but they are still large because of some muscle I built up previously.

Overall it's easier for me to notice that I've lost when I try things on that didn't used to fit, but I don't feel like I look that different. Especially since I'm losign so slowly from my stomach, so I think that makes me look the same size.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's going to be less noticeable on someone who has a lot of weight to lose. I have lost 13 - 15 lbs in six weeks, but I still have at least 85 to go, and it's even hard for me to notice changes yet.
  • mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs before people started noticing which was 1 dress size. I'm close to goal and now I only have to lose 6 or 7 lbs to lose a dress size.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think 20-30 pounds for me. I can't remember exactly anymore. I just know that I hit a point where several people within a short span of time said something to me about my weight loss.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Took about 25 lbs and I'm short. After about 40 lbs everyone noticed and all the comments became an avalanche..
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    my mom notices every ounce lost or gained. even if i start working out for a week, she notices. but i think that's a mom thing.
    You get all types of people. Some people will say something as soon as they notice. Some people will wait a while to be sure that you're losing weight before they say anything. Many people are too self absorbed to notice until you've lost like 100 lbs. And finally, a lot of people won't say anything ever because they think its rude to comment on someone's appearance.

these. one summer during college i worked with a personal trainer and got very fit and toned--granted i didn't have 100 lbs. to lose but it was a noticeable change. my friends at home didn't mention anything at all (ala the first bolded sentence, i don't hang out with them much anymore). then i returned for rush and didn't hear anything again from any of my sorority sisters. that is until we were eating together and i made some comment to which one of them responded: "omg, but you lost sooo much weight!" and then i'm like, "wtf... how big... did i look...??" so sometimes comments can come off back-handed and people will refrain (because it wasn't like i was seriously overweight or obese or anything. i actually gained weight working out with my trainer). i honestly try not to comment on anyone's weight loss for that reason, unless they bring it up; AND unless they're a close friend and i'm aware that they're trying to lose weight.

just keep truckin'!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    around 30 pounds
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It was 40 pounds for me, up until that point I was still wearing larger shirts because I had only bought new gym pants once my old ones were falling off. As soon as I wore a smaller shirt people acted like I had dropped the weight overnight instead of over several months.

So it may depend on how flattering what you are wearing is rather or not people notice.

The exception was my grandmother, but she has made a weight comment every time I visit. She acted like she could tell a difference with each week/pound.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I only had 20 pounds to lose to begin with, so I hope this "30 pounds" business is wrong!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, I was around 20-30 pounds down before anyone noticed. I had about 60-90 pounds total to lose, depending on where I wanted my BMI to fall.

Also, some people won't comment on weight loss because it's personal. Weight loss can be caused by many things: illness, mental illness (eating disorders), intentionally, stress, depression, and many other things. Some won't comment until it is blatantly obvious that your weight loss is intentional and not a side-effect of something else. If they don't comment, don't take it personally. They may be noticing and just not saying anything.