I feel like I'm starving!! :(

Options

Replies

• rcsmommy
    Options
    clehman71 wrote: »
    It is hard to start changing your lifestyle. I promise it does get easier over time. I can suggest making sure you get protein in your food intake to make it a little less difficult. If you like veggies, use those for your snacks as you get a lot of bank for your calorie buck if you nutrient dense low cal foods. If you like veggies but not without dip, look at different low-cal or fat free dips. You will learn lots of ways of making your calories work for you!

I've been told a fat, a protein, and a carb for each snack. I've been doing an apple with a nut butter.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Try different different foods in the morning to see if they help keep you fuller longer. Different things work for different people. What works for me is starting off my day with protein and fiber since they keep you feeling full.

Then of course there's what everyone else mentioned about giving it a week or 2. The transition is hard. You're cutting to less than what you're used to but you'll adjust quickly. I took me 2 weeks to resist full on "hangry" rage in mid-morning 3 bags of Gardettos before I felt like I didn't even need it lol.
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    The first 2 weeks i had a couple days like that.
    It went away.

I am also sure that my body was confusing hunger with being thirsty. So drink a lot. I drink about 3 liters of water a day ( some days 2.5 others 3 just depends) This is beside my coffee in the morning and almond milk.

When i exercise i drink a whole liter alone :)

And eating a protein helps too :)

I do need to force myself to drink more for sure! I really am not a fan of water, but will make myself love it eventually!
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    Take your time. Go easy on you. It took me awhile to put on the weight; it will take me a while to take it off. Most important thing is that I'm changing my lifestyle and that takes time. Remember you are amazing already and there's no finish line to cross to be wonderful and lovable!

Thank you, I needed to hear that! Slow and steady!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend's grandchildren are all picky eaters. She makes them fruit kabobs and fruit pizzas to interest them in healthier snacks.

http://www.pinterest.com/denisebrou/fruit-kabobs/
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Also, keep track of what foods leave you satisfied the longest (for most people it's protein-rich ones, but nothing is absolute for all people) and try to include them strategically in your day. Also note which very low calorie snacks are pleasurable to you...when my kids were little I'd put out a plate of blanched broccoli and cucumber slices and they'd nibble at it all day...now that they're teens they still choose those veg as a snack. A few raw radishes or celery sticks or dill pickles all come in at the 10 calorie range, but they are very different taste experiences....figure out what keeps you feeling good!

Good advise, thank you! I did notice I felt more satisfied yesterday at breakfast (egg and sweet potato) than I did today.
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My girlfriend's grandchildren are all picky eaters. She makes them fruit kabobs and fruit pizzas to interest them in healthier snacks.

http://www.pinterest.com/denisebrou/fruit-kabobs/

Yum!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's a big change but you'll get used to it. I do think you should stick it out, though there will be days when you're truly hungry and it's okay to add an extra healthy snack. Listen to your body and learn what's hunger vs boredom.

Eat lots of veggies to fill you up for very few calories. Salads before meals (I eat my salad and then wait 15ish minutes to "feel" it, then have my meal.) I even eat salads with breakfast! I have mustard or something that doesn't add calories to it.

My snacks are: boiled eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with fruit, edamame, stuff like that. Those things keep me satisfied- I wouldn't say "full" but I don't miss that weighed down feeling!

I say all of this because I know exactly how you're feeling and it does get better. It's worth it, trust me!

• rcsmommy
    Options
    Tammy_1971 wrote: »
    rcsmommy wrote: »
    I'm a 33 year old mommy of three little guys and about 60 pounds overweight. I've been miserable for some time and decided it's time to do something about it. I used a weight loss calculator and with my height, current weight, and age it came up with 1500 calories/day. Which is probably good (I'm only 5'2", 33yrs old, and currently 190 pounds :( blah!) I've been logging everything I've been eating for the past 2 days and am eating much better than I normally do, problem is with logging I realize I've easily been eating 22-2400+ calories/day, most of which was pure garbage. I'm trying hard to fight the urge to indulge again because 45 min after each meal I'm hungry again. I eat about 300 calories for breakfast and lunch, 150 calories per snack (2-3) and about 300-600 for dinner. Will this starving feeling go away?! I'm afraid I'm going to cave and binge!!

How's your water intake? Making myself drink more water help me a lot!

I definitely need to work on it! I'm not a fan of water, but have cut out soda and sugar-filled beverages I'm used to so I need to make myself drink good ol fashion h2o!
  • HealthNotDiet
    HealthNotDiet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It may be the KIND of calories you're eating. I've found that protein keeps me satiated better.
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    Thank you all for your experiences and advise, it is much appreciated!! Please feel free to friend me, I could use the help and cheerleading on this journey! :)
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink lots of water. When your tummy starts grumbling, have a drink of water and tell yourself that the grumbling is your body burning up that fat! Between the water and the mental "pep talk," hopefully the hunger will be gone in a few minutes (for a while anyway ;) ). You can do this - just take it one day at a time.
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    It's a big change but you'll get used to it. I do think you should stick it out, though there will be days when you're truly hungry and it's okay to add an extra healthy snack. Listen to your body and learn what's hunger vs boredom.

Eat lots of veggies to fill you up for very few calories. Salads before meals (I eat my salad and then wait 15ish minutes to "feel" it, then have my meal.) I even eat salads with breakfast! I have mustard or something that doesn't add calories to it.

My snacks are: boiled eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt with fruit, edamame, stuff like that. Those things keep me satisfied- I wouldn't say "full" but I don't miss that weighed down feeling!

I say all of this because I know exactly how you're feeling and it does get better. It's worth it, trust me!

Thank you! I know I need to stick this out, I'm tired of being miserable and hating myself when I look in the mirror or need to find clothes that fit! Honestly, I can't believe I was eating so bad and constantly!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have exactly the same stats as you. I'm 5'3 190 (down from 223 after my second kid). I have 2 sons. The first month is the worst and I cheated by taking an herbal supplement the first month I started counting. It probably was all in my head, but it worked.

Now, I find that I'm good during the day, but night time is when I want to snack. The problem is, I feel like I deserve a reward after I've lived through the day. lol. I've been going to the gym after the boys go to bed (8:30 - ish). It gives me extra calories so I can have that glass of wine or cookie, and it keeps me from binge eating at night. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Maybe you need to do this in steps. This is a huge deficit to start with. If you are estimating what you've been taking in...up to 2500 cals per day, and now you are cutting to 1500, I'm sure you feel hungry. That is a 1000 calorie per day cut, for a 2 lb a week loss. While 2 lbs a week is doable, why not ease into this by cutting your calories for a 1 lb a week loss, so cut them by 500 each day. So, start with 2000 calories for one week, then drop by 100-200 cals per week until you get to 1500.. You may lose more slowly in the beginning, but you may also not be so hungry and have so many cravings.

In addition, many folks, including myself, find fats and proteins to be a lot more satiating than carb rich foods. Not everyone is like that, so it may not apply to you, but carbs, esp. starchy ones, make me sooo hungry all the time. When I focus my diet on quality fats and proteins, I do not crave extra food (read: sugar for me specifically...right out of the canister), and it is easier for me to stick to my calorie deficit.

• irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When you eat, are you focusing on the eating, and eating slowly? This is something I rarely do myself, but it can make a difference...
    Also this may sound dumb, but what if your calories over were because you ate all healthy food? Can you start by making the calories you eat healthy?
    One morning I had 2 mini cucumbers before my breakfast - that actually helped fill me up - that may sound weird but being starving is not a good thing in my opinion.
    - Looks like other posters have said everything I have...

• erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can do this :smile: Takes a little bit to get over that hump. Most of the things that help have been mentioned like water, I started with crystal light, then with smashed fruits and now I can drink a ton of just plain water. Whole foods will keep you the fullest. Think veggies, eggs, fruits, and protein. Find fiber rich foods that will take yout to your next meat. Lastly don't be too hard on yourself a bad day is just that a bad day, as long as we dont let it turn into weeks and than months we are good!!!! You can do this :smile:
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    When you eat, are you focusing on the eating, and eating slowly? This is something I rarely do myself, but it can make a difference...
    Also this may sound dumb, but what if your calories over were because you ate all healthy food? Can you start by making the calories you eat healthy?
    One morning I had 2 mini cucumbers before my breakfast - that actually helped fill me up - that may sound weird but being starving is not a good thing in my opinion.
    - Looks like other posters have said everything I have...

Slow eating is not my strong suit with three little ones, but a very good point! I should try to consciously slow down!!

• bikergirlalex
    Options
    To be honest, all the research I've done with eating, and the thing is to eat more in the morning, then decreased through out the day. So for example Breakfast should be around 600, then you have 150-170 calories in snacks, 450 for lunch and then 400 dinner :)
  • rcsmommy
    Options
    Maybe you need to do this in steps. This is a huge deficit to start with. If you are estimating what you've been taking in...up to 2500 cals per day, and now you are cutting to 1500, I'm sure you feel hungry. That is a 1000 calorie per day cut, for a 2 lb a week loss. While 2 lbs a week is doable, why not ease into this by cutting your calories for a 1 lb a week loss, so cut them by 500 each day. So, start with 2000 calories for one week, then drop by 100-200 cals per week until you get to 1500.. You may lose more slowly in the beginning, but you may also not be so hungry and have so many cravings.

In addition, many folks, including myself, find fats and proteins to be a lot more satiating than carb rich foods. Not everyone is like that, so it may not apply to you, but carbs, esp. starchy ones, make me sooo hungry all the time. When I focus my diet on quality fats and proteins, I do not crave extra food (read: sugar for me specifically...right out of the canister), and it is easier for me to stick to my calorie deficit.

Good point!