Is greek yogurt a better snack than pretzles

Options
Ok im still working out at least an hour a day either running or biking...and weights 3 times a week,,,,but I dig into the pretzles every night.....would a small Greek yogurt be a better lower carb snack ? I ell like my gut is getting bigger or more flab...I havent been doing my diet but as always I pretty much eat the same thing every week....

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Lower carb Yes, better is just an opinion as no food is BAD.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is definitely be lower carb, and for me personally the yogurt would make me feel more full and satisfied than pretzels due to the protein. Carbs tend to make me want to eat more carbs. As for it being a "Better" or "Worse" snack, there's no one right answer there. Eat what makes you feel best, if that is pretzels then by all means eat the pretzels. If you feel like your gut is getting bigger and at the same time haven't been "doing your diet" then the pretzels are 99% likely not to blame here.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is higher in protein, but if you really want the pretzels, eat the pretzels. I have Pretzel Crisps nearly every night. Maybe as a compromise, if you are looking for better nutrition, eat a Greek yogurt and a few pretzels.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is lower in carbohydrates and sodium, but higher in cholesterol. But if you're putting in an hour of cardio everyday, you might actually need the sodium and carbohydrates. As a general rule, it is best to pay attention to your cravings. If you're craving salt, it won't do you any good to eat something low in sodium. You just end up eating the low sodium thing plus the higher sodium thing, resulting in twice the calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    Ok im still working out at least an hour a day either running or biking...and weights 3 times a week,,,,but I dig into the pretzles every night.....would a small Greek yogurt be a better lower carb snack ? I ell like my gut is getting bigger or more flab...I havent been doing my diet but as always I pretty much eat the same thing every week....

depends what fits your calories/macros better??
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I couldn't 'snack' on yogurt in the same way I would pretzels or chips ... so for me, that would be a no

I'd eat both..either.. neither ...depending on what I fancy at the time, so long as it's within my calorie goals

personally I like Solero Exotic Ice Creams at night :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not have both? Try Greek yogurt with some pretzels crushed up in it....chocolate covered pretzels!
    17p9wmigrgh4.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why not have both? Try Greek yogurt with some pretzels crushed up in it....chocolate covered pretzels!
    17p9wmigrgh4.jpg

*bleurgh* you weird :smiley:
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you are running that much you may want to make sure you are eating the right mix of Carbs, protein, and fat. I have been following the Runner's World Runner's Diet which is 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat, it keeps me satisfied and gives me the energy to run daily.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    one is not better than the other…

it depends on which one would better fit into your calorie and macro target for the day ...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Dip your pretzels in the yogurt of life and live.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, yeah--I love yogurt, and tend to prefer snacks with more balanced macros (either pretty split between protein and carbs or, as with full fat yogurt, a nice balance of all three). Also, I don't like pretzels.

For you, perhaps not.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For me, yogurt is better. My diet is higher in protein (I lift heavy stuff) and I don't like to eat a lot of carbs at night. Plus, there's little chance I will overeat yogurt. I have inhaled bags of pretzels in the past. I'm still losing weight so perhaps someone in maintenance would have a different perspective. I don't like to put anything in my body at night that won't be burned completely (e.g., stored as fat). My first meal of the day is truly breaking a fast. I have (or had GERD) and my MD told me not to eat right before bed anyway. My symptoms are now gone since I'm losing weight but I still follow that advice.

I don't see anything wrong with pretzels as long as you don't overeat them. They are a decent snack or "junk food" since they aren't fried. I would definitely eat them prior to a cardio workout or riding my bike outside.

Dannon Light & Fit Greek is only 80 calories and very good. Really hits the spot and they have tons of great flavors like Cheesecake, key lime, coconut vanilla, etc. It's a staple in my diet.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Can you create a dip out of the Greek yogurt and dip some pretzels in it? You can still have both if it fits your macros/kcals, and the high amount of protein in the yogurt might keep you fuller for longer.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If it's strictly calories 100 calories of yogurt and 100 calories of pretzels are the same.

If you're going for a nutritional punch, yogurt probably wins with protein and calcium.

If you've lost a lot of salt and need to replenish, yeah, that pretzel is going to be better.

That's the problem with a lot of "what food is better" type of issues. The best food is the food that suits a particular need or goal. Which is pretty individual.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suspect pretzels with their salt punch contribute to bloating. But you might be craving salt (electrolytes) after working out for good reason.

I have kind of fallen in love with this stuff, 10 cal per serving:
    Biosteel RTD https://www.biosteel.com/products
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    For me, yogurt is better. My diet is higher in protein (I lift heavy stuff) and I don't like to eat a lot of carbs at night. Plus, there's little chance I will overeat yogurt. I have inhaled bags of pretzels in the past. I'm still losing weight so perhaps someone in maintenance would have a different perspective. I don't like to put anything in my body at night that won't be burned completely (e.g., stored as fat). My first meal of the day is truly breaking a fast. I have (or had GERD) and my MD told me not to eat right before bed anyway. My symptoms are now gone since I'm losing weight but I still follow that advice.

I don't see anything wrong with pretzels as long as you don't overeat them. They are a decent snack or "junk food" since they aren't fried. I would definitely eat them prior to a cardio workout or riding my bike outside.

Dannon Light & Fit Greek is only 80 calories and very good. Really hits the spot and they have tons of great flavors like Cheesecake, key lime, coconut vanilla, etc. It's a staple in my diet.

why are pretzels "junk food"...? They are just a carb with salt on them...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    pretzels taste good. greek yogurt doesnt. problem solved.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Mmmmm, salty carbs!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Does everything have to be a debate on semantics? I enclosed it in quotes to signify that it's similar to potato chips or other salty snacks that are considered JUNK FOOD by millions of people. I didn't say it was bad. I also said that I eat them. Of all the things I said, that's what you latched onto? Geesh. Thanks for letting me know that it's a carb with salt. I hadn't realized that.