Is greek yogurt a better snack than pretzles

Options
2»

Replies

• stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    depends on the pretzel.... philly pretzels with mustard? thats a whole meal... frito lay pretzels... not worth the effort... but either one is packed with salt.... yoghurt is not... i like my yoghurt more in the bulgarian style... but you can make things with yoghurt... (in greece they make cheese from it) or put fruit in it... if you need more sweetness...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    Ok im still working out at least an hour a day either running or biking...and weights 3 times a week,,,,but I dig into the pretzles every night.....would a small Greek yogurt be a better lower carb snack ? I ell like my gut is getting bigger or more flab...I havent been doing my diet but as always I pretty much eat the same thing every week....
    Well, let's see and compare the nutritional information of the two:

Yogurt (though the nutritional information varies from yogurt to yogurt, this in the ballpark)

organic_lowfat_plain.gif

Here's one for pretzels:

roldgold.gif

You be the judge as to which works better for you.

There is no good or bad food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yogurt would be the better snack, but I cannot eat that stuff, so would choose the pretzels, assuming they're the no-salt variety. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have to be in a mood for pretzels (my salty snack go-to), but it's been a long time since I've had them. Yogurt, I eat it every day for the protein.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have to be in the mood for pretzels - something crunchy and salty.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are just looking to lose weight - than yes, calories are calories. Just make sure you measure out your pretzels and don't go back for seconds or thirds. I find yogurt will satisfy me a lot more than the 5-7 pretzels that you get for the same amount of calories. More food and more nutritional punch in the yogurt!

Just reading the ingredient list on those food labels makes me laugh at most of the comments here though. If you consider processed chemicals good for you, then sure both products are good for you. (Side note - check your yogurt ingredients, even the "healthier" marketed ones are full of chemicals).

I eat 1/2 cup of organic low fat yogurt with a 1/2 tbsp of honey. 60 calories that fills me up as a good snack between meals. I buy a tub of the organic which gets me 6-7 servings for the same price as 4 chobnai servings.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    For me, yogurt is better. My diet is higher in protein (I lift heavy stuff) and I don't like to eat a lot of carbs at night. Plus, there's little chance I will overeat yogurt. I have inhaled bags of pretzels in the past. I'm still losing weight so perhaps someone in maintenance would have a different perspective. I don't like to put anything in my body at night that won't be burned completely (e.g., stored as fat). My first meal of the day is truly breaking a fast. I have (or had GERD) and my MD told me not to eat right before bed anyway. My symptoms are now gone since I'm losing weight but I still follow that advice.

I don't see anything wrong with pretzels as long as you don't overeat them. They are a decent snack or "junk food" since they aren't fried. I would definitely eat them prior to a cardio workout or riding my bike outside.

Dannon Light & Fit Greek is only 80 calories and very good. Really hits the spot and they have tons of great flavors like Cheesecake, key lime, coconut vanilla, etc. It's a staple in my diet.

why are pretzels "junk food"...? They are just a carb with salt on them...

Does everything have to be a debate on semantics? I enclosed it in quotes to signify that it's similar to potato chips or other salty snacks that are considered JUNK FOOD by millions of people. I didn't say it was bad. I also said that I eat them. Of all the things I said, that's what you latched onto? Geesh. Thanks for letting me know that it's a carb with salt. I hadn't realized that.

you are welcome for the enlightenment.

there is no junk food, there is just food that you use for energy, period.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The pretzels have very little nutritional value and the carbs probably make you hungrier. The yogurt also has calcium, which you need.

In general I'd choose protein over carbs, but if the pretzels are satisfying and help you stick to your plan, there's nothing really wrong with them.

If you have too much body fat (and it's increasing), you need to cut calories. The exercise is great, but body fat problems can usually be traced to your diet.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    We see plenty of people like you pass through, then they disappear.

..."people like you" ....<rolls eyes> People choose what to put in their bodies. I choose real food, as unprocessed as possible. I have been living this way for 6 decades and am doing great, tyvm. If you, MrM, choose to eat processed foods and you thrive, more power to you. But look in a mirror to check the "holier than thou attitude" coming from yourself.

I agree with the advice above about hitting your targets for sufficient protein and fat. If you do that, then go with what fits within your calorie range and satisfies you the most.