Experienced weightlifters! Review my workout plan?

Options
sweetest_potato
sweetest_potato Posts: 53 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been weight training for about 9 months. I made really great progress until summertime when I got sick really badly twice (tonsillitis then strep throat :( ) and couldn't eat or sleep well and literally lost ALL my gains. Anyways after that, I ended up focusing way too much on lower body and not giving myself enough time to rest. So after 2 months of barely seeing results, I've realized I need to go back to how I was training before I got sick (3-4 day split, no set schedule, of legs, push, and pull + random core every now and then.)

I decided to create a workout plan finally (with exercises I like and am able to) since normally I'd walk into the gym not knowing for sure what exercises I'd do that day.
Anyways, I'm looking for any advice from experienced weight lifters on my workout plan! Do you think my plan is decent? I tried to calculate in my head how long everything will take. I don't want my workout to exceed over 45-60 minutes. I'll be testing out my plan this coming week to see if I can fit in more sets/reps. :)
My workout plan:
33c5ca1855.png
I added a "no gym/resistance band" section because my bf takes me to the gym, but sometimes he can't take me and I don't want to skip a work out. I didn't put sets and reps on those because I think I'll go for probably 3-5 sets on everything or until I feel a good burn. What do you think about that??

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It looks like a very good 3 day per week "Leg, Chest, Back" workout regimen. You might find that deadlifts fit in better with your "Pull" day then the leg day, but that's not going to make or break your workouts.

But as Cherimoose asked, what are your goals? Are you trying to bulk, tone, or just get stronger?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate the other two guys, what are your goals? What kind of shape are you in at this point? Something like this is really hard to gauge because I would say that a visual assessment of how you move is needed to really delve into the structure of one's training.
  • sweetest_potato
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My goal is to get stronger and build muscle (or tone, if that's what you mean.) I don't really care if I gain weight/fat because that can always be lost :) I have a really hard time gaining weight so I'm not sure if I want to try really hard to bulk again. I've been trying to gain for 2 months but I've been stuck at 115-118 and it's just stressful so I'm just going to focus on getting stronger mainly.

@ahamm002 I put deadlifts with leg day because I don't want to do deadlifts while recovering from leg day. :(

This is my current shape right now, taken today after my push workout w/ resistance bands:
    86e4b2a883.jpg70acdc8e30.jpg

I feel so discouraged because it's been 9 months since I've started and I don't even look like I exercise really. :( But I have to take into account the 3 times I've gotten sick badly over summer.

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My goal is to get stronger and build muscle (or tone, if that's what you mean.) I don't really care if I gain weight/fat because that can always be lost :) I have a really hard time gaining weight so I'm not sure if I want to try really hard to bulk again. I've been trying to gain for 2 months but I've been stuck at 115-118 and it's just stressful so I'm just going to focus on getting stronger mainly.

@ahamm002 I put deadlifts with leg day because I don't want to do deadlifts while recovering from leg day. :(

This is my current shape right now, taken today after my push workout w/ resistance bands:

I feel so discouraged because it's been 9 months since I've started and I don't even look like I exercise really. :( But I have to take into account the 3 times I've gotten sick badly over summer.

You look good. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As far as your routine goes - it looks good as well, and I would only make a few changes.

For your push day, I would skip the machine for shoulder presses and do it with free weights instead. Edit: Nvm I missed that you're doing free weight shoulder presses already. In that case, I'd stick to the free weight presses, ditch the 2nd machine press, and do lateral raises. I would also substitute push ups with flys, either chest fly machine (my favorite) or dumbbell flys.

For pull days I'd do the machine pull downs after the rows and pull ups. It's easier to do the more difficult compounds before you start exhausting yourself with the easier stuff.

Most importantly you have to eat to grow. Eat in a calorie surplus, or at the very least you have to eat at maintenance calories.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Is the first pushing exercise a seated/standing press or a bench press? If it is a seated/standing press that mainly targets your shoulders, I would swap the second shoulder press for a bench/incline press for your chest. Also, I would probably do pull ups first on your "pull" day, since those are the "biggest" movement on your schedule.

Two heavy deadlifts in one day might be a bit much as well. If you want to do both, I'd move the sumo lifts to you "pull" day and make it the main exercise of the day.

Nothing to be discouraged of about your looks, definitely looking good. Just remember to eat enough and even more importantly, get enough sleep and rest.
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    walterc7 wrote: »

You look good. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As far as your routine goes - it looks good as well, and I would only make a few changes.

For your push day, I would skip the machine for shoulder presses and do it with free weights instead. Edit: Nvm I missed that you're doing free weight shoulder presses already. In that case, I'd stick to the free weight presses, ditch the 2nd machine press, and do lateral raises. I would also substitute push ups with flys, either chest fly machine (my favorite) or dumbbell flys.

For pull days I'd do the machine pull downs after the rows and pull ups. It's easier to do the more difficult compounds before you start exhausting yourself with the easier stuff.

Most importantly you have to eat to grow. Eat in a calorie surplus, or at the very least you have to eat at maintenance calories.
    Thanks :)!!! I made changes to my plan. I'm just a bit intimidated to do the shoulder press without the machine haha. I replaced push ups w/ chest fly machine (I don't like push ups anyways hehe :blush: .) I also took your advice and put the pull-downs after rows and pull ups.

Today was definitely a bad food day... I think I barely got 1,300 calories. :( I wasn't trying that hard to force-feed myself as I usually do and I'm realizing that if I don't do that, I barely get enough food. I should set alarms to eat every 2-3 hours :persevere: .

• sweetest_potato
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Is the first pushing exercise a seated/standing press or a bench press? If it is a seated/standing press that mainly targets your shoulders, I would swap the second shoulder press for a bench/incline press for your chest. Also, I would probably do pull ups first on your "pull" day, since those are the "biggest" movement on your schedule.

Two heavy deadlifts in one day might be a bit much as well. If you want to do both, I'd move the sumo lifts to you "pull" day and make it the main exercise of the day.

Nothing to be discouraged of about your looks, definitely looking good. Just remember to eat enough and even more importantly, get enough sleep and rest.
    It's pretty much like a bench press, laying down on the bench, but with dumbbells. :)
    Ok! I moved pull-ups to the top of the list.
    For my deadlifts, I don't go extremely heavy. I go heavy enough where I can only do 4-6 reps on the sumos, but I lighten them for the straight leg ones so I can feel more of the burn on my hams and glutes. I just don't want two deadlifts on different days because I don't want to work them while they're still recovering from a previous workout :persevere: .
    Thanks for your advice :) !!! I'm going to edit my list and post it for you guys to see!
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    My new and improved list!! Tomorrow is pull day :)
    128fe779f2.png
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much like a bench press, laying down on the bench, but with dumbbells. :)

For my deadlifts, I don't go extremely heavy. I go heavy enough where I can only do 4-6 reps on the sumos, but I lighten them for the straight leg ones so I can feel more of the burn on my hams and glutes.

OK, this looks good. You might want to move up the dips on your "push" day as well, at least do them before the triceps extensions, since that is again a rather big upper body movement. Maybe do them after your presses when you are properly warmed up. Also, do some light work for your rotator cuffs and upper back/rear shoulders as a warm up to prevent shoulder injuries.

I've been doing 2 x 20 with really light weights of the following before any pressing:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/CBRearDeltRowStirrups.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/CBUprightExternalRotation.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Subscapularis/CBStandingInternalRotation.html
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    That latest list looks really good to me. Just about perfect in fact.

The most important factor in how your body reacts to training though is your diet, more so than the training itself imo; training without the right nutrition is like giving someone instructions to build a house, but then giving them the wrong materials or not enough. You won't get what you wanted.

If you aren't seeing the results you want following a program like this then that is likely where the problem is.

So that is your next challenge I suppose; get your diet as organised as your training. Good luck.
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    Jams009 wrote: »
    That latest list looks really good to me. Just about perfect in fact.

The most important factor in how your body reacts to training though is your diet, more so than the training itself imo; training without the right nutrition is like giving someone instructions to build a house, but then giving them the wrong materials or not enough. You won't get what you wanted.

If you aren't seeing the results you want following a program like this then that is likely where the problem is.

So that is your next challenge I suppose; get your diet as organised as your training. Good luck.

Trying my best! Thanks!! :)
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

For my deadlifts, I don't go extremely heavy. I go heavy enough where I can only do 4-6 reps on the sumos, but I lighten them for the straight leg ones so I can feel more of the burn on my hams and glutes.

OK, this looks good. You might want to move up the dips on your "push" day as well, at least do them before the triceps extensions, since that is again a rather big upper body movement. Maybe do them after your presses when you are properly warmed up. Also, do some light work for your rotator cuffs and upper back/rear shoulders as a warm up to prevent shoulder injuries.

I've been doing 2 x 20 with really light weights of the following before any pressing:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidPosterior/CBRearDeltRowStirrups.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Infraspinatus/CBUprightExternalRotation.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Subscapularis/CBStandingInternalRotation.html
    Alright, I moved dips up on my list!! I didn't really pay that much attention to the order of my exercises on push/pull days because I was tired haha :) Thanks so much!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Your workout routine looks really good; I think your issue is you are simply not eating enough ( I read you are trying to bulk) Have another look at your calories, check the forums (there's a few that is directly to women and bodybuilding I believe that I think might help)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm rather shocked no one suggested a different split. I would do a full body workout 3x a week given your goals, youth and "newness" to lifting. You can make each one more focused on push, pull, legs but I think a whole day and only doing those muscle groups 1x a week isn't the most effective program. Not even close.
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    Your workout routine looks really good; I think your issue is you are simply not eating enough ( I read you are trying to bulk) Have another look at your calories, check the forums (there's a few that is directly to women and bodybuilding I believe that I think might help)

Thanks! And yes I know eating is my main issue :(
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do the same split as you, almost to a T, and I have definitely seen results as far as strength - but I'm not gaining in size because I'm eating in a deficit (or attempting to). :#
  • sweetest_potato
    Options
    I do the same split as you, almost to a T, and I have definitely seen results as far as strength - but I'm not gaining in size because I'm eating in a deficit (or attempting to). :#
    Are you trying to lose weight :) ?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Yes ma'am I am
  • sweetest_potato
    Options

Yes ma'am I am

Ah I see :) good luck!!!