Ladies.... do you exercise during your period?

Options
Ladies,

I was wondering, do you exercise during your period?

I tend not to as I feel very bloated and heavy with cramps and sometimes just don't want to move at all, especially when my period pains are really bad.

But that means 5 days (nearly a week) of no weight loss.

Thanks

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah. I lift 4x/week and box or do yoga or something on the other days. Every week. Working out helps with my loating and cramps.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are usually a couple days where I do not, partially due to the cramps and partially due to it not being easy for other reasons. Not always, though. Some periods are worse than others.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yes. It actually helps with cramping.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually schedule a break at that time. It's uncomfortable and can be messy :/ And I need to schedule breaks anyway or my body gets fatigued. So that's usually when I do that. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight without exercising. Just track your calories and eat your entire deficit. I lost quite a few pounds last month when I was injured and unable to exercise.

Also - I always workout like normal on my period. Honestly, it helps with the cramps and bloating. Sure it sucks to get started, but once I'm moving and the endorphins are kicking in I feel great. They help reduce the cramps, etc. for me.

Give it a try! Best of luck :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't let it stop me. It often actually makes me feel better to go for a run and it's no reason to skip lifting weights.

If you aren't going to exercise for those 5 days perhaps you should lower your calorie goal those days so it doesn't hold up your weight loss?
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I also find it helps with cramping.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It doesn't *have* to mean nearly a week of no weight loss. If you're still at a calorie deficit, the weight loss process continues.

Even so, maybe just try walking or swimming or stretching those days. Arm work and leg work, too.
  • AmbreMichel
    AmbreMichel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts, too. It sometimes isn't very comfortable but it's not enough to skip on my workouts.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yep. I exercise a little harder. Keeps me from killin' people for being WRONG when my hormonal levels most resemble normal male levels ;) (Yes, PMS is when your hormonal profile most closely resembles the male one. I suppose that's the time to lift heavy ??? (Not really. Totally bad science, but funny))
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I used to get really bad cramps at the beginning of my period - talked with with my Dr and he said cut down (waaaay down) on salt and increase water intake a week before you period. Helps with bloating and cramps.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Of course I do...the first two days haha. After that, I hit a road block an take a vacay for the next three day. When it's gone I take the two days I'm off to regroup on my eating habits/cravings. Finally, I start back up on working out and eating the same again. Haha :p
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to hear that most of you still continue with your exercise regime....I might give that a go when I have my period this time.
    I can't eat less at that time as that is when I crave junk like maaad! If anything, I tend to go over my calorie goals at that time. This combined with no exercise can create a dent in my weight loss efforts.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    depends. right now I am on the pill so it's not such a big deal. When I was in high school it used to help with cramps, the past year however they got so bad I would literally spend a day or two curled up in bed with or without painkillers.

So, at that time… no. :smiley:
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can't believe I just wrote that in one sentence..how come their mobile site does not give an edit button on a posting? :#
    "Wait, found it but now I mean a "delete button to delete this one." :s
  • Jojomotivated
    Jojomotivated Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I mainly do cardio on those days, but if the cramps are really bad I just watch what I'm eating.
  • Vaprrenon
    Vaprrenon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always hear that it helps with cramps, but I've never experienced that...it anything it makes me hurt even more for a while.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yep. Hadnt occurred to me not to. Esp as I eat more I need to counterbalance it
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you have cramps all those days? And I thought I had it bad! I get very painful cramps the first day, sometimes I feel dizzy and basically just bone tired from the pain. So, I don't work out but I don't feel like eating much either so that's fine.

After that first day I feel normal and work out as usual.

I don't know if they make them in your country but I found analgesic suppositories very helpful. Mine are called Buscopan plus (here in Spain Buscapina) and contain paracetamol as well as an antispasmodic.

For the no weight loss aspect: if you can't exercise you have to watch your calories even more. Good luck!

• Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yep. I exercise a little harder. Keeps me from killin' people for being WRONG when my hormonal levels most resemble normal male levels ;) (Yes, PMS is when your hormonal profile most closely resembles the male one. I suppose that's the time to lift heavy ??? (Not really. Totally bad science, but funny))

^ Love. This.

I miss one or two days, not due to the cramps or bloating, just the incredibly heavy flow. It's tiresome, but it's been that way since I was 11, so I deal with it.