Ladies.... do you exercise during your period?

Options

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    My lady times are very unpredictable as far as cramps go, but I have never missed a gym session due to them. Ya' just gotta' power through it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I was wondering, do you exercise during your period?

I tend not to as I feel very bloated and heavy with cramps and sometimes just don't want to move at all, especially when my period pains are really bad.

But that means 5 days (nearly a week) of no weight loss.

Thanks

Yes. Exercise helps with cramps if you have them anyway, and getting g a good sweat in helps with bloating. No excuses.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I was wondering, do you exercise during your period?

I tend not to as I feel very bloated and heavy with cramps and sometimes just don't want to move at all, especially when my period pains are really bad.

But that means 5 days (nearly a week) of no weight loss.

Thanks

I usually blow it off too. Same reasons. But I usually drop about 3 pounds of water weight consistently once it's over.
  • jawelding
    jawelding Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yes! Like other women have said, I find it helps with cramping and makes me feel better
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    yes. Except if for the first day if I just want to curl up and eat chocolate, then I let myself. It's once a month.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yes. No way I'm taking a whole week off every month. The first day is always the worst day and if it's really bad, I'll use that as my rest day. But, yeah, your period is not a valid excuse to skip workouts.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I do, but I do mostly cardio because that is what help the most with my cramps.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Vaprrenon wrote: »
    I always hear that it helps with cramps, but I've never experienced that...it anything it makes me hurt even more for a while.

Me too! I tried exercising while had bad cramps and it just got worse, had to leave after a few minutes because I just couldn't take it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still exercise during my period. I haven't found that I have a problem with exercises like walking or dancing. I did find that when I did pilates my flow got super heavy...lots of leakage. So I don't do pilates that week.
    If you find your normal exercise routine too intense maybe just walk for exercise that week.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It depends on how severe my symptoms are. I think exercising in general helps especially if you can exercise BEFORE you start having pain, tiredness... I am glad another poster mentioned iron- because I sometimes get extremely fatigued before that time and need to keep iron levels in mind. I often feel too exhausted to exercise at least one day at PMS time. After I start (my period) I feel much better.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't let anything slow me down!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I still workout. In fact, it never occurred to me not to work out during those days.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    people always say "yea exercise makes cramps better"

but it actually makes me feel even worse if im having really severe cramps and bloating so i will not work out if im feeling that way

usually though its not too bad and i can get in some kind of work out
  • kbru64
    kbru64 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, makes me feel better physically and mentally.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Unless you have debilitating cramps that leave you bedridden, there's no reason to not work out on your period. Women have been getting periods for a very long time - woman up, put in a tampon, and do what you gotta do.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Since I started exercising 3 months ago, my period is a lot more on time, less cramps and a only little bit of swelling and pain (breast, stomach, feet, hands, face). I also watch my sodium around this time.

The day before I start, I get really sleepy and I know "tomorrow" morning is my day. Weird but it happens like a charm..

On my sleepy day, I have less energy. But on the day I start I keep up with the exercise.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I workout regardless, and exercise will help with both bloating and cramps.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It really does make me feel better, especially the moodiness and low energy parts. If for some reason my cramps are particularly bad, I usually just take a couple ibuprofen and drink more water.

Similar to a lot of ladies on here, since I started exercising my periods aren't as bad as they used to be.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The only thing I go lighter on is my yoga practice & minimize inversions (the science on this is relatively controversial, but I am icked out by the idea of blood flowing back up... into places where it just came down from...)