How long do you fast?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    About 16 hours, but that's just how my appetite works. It's not something I do intentionally. I also exercise in that time.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    I eat about every 18-24 hours.

yesterday afternoon at about 2 I had soup and this morning I had a chicken biscuit and some hashbrowns. Next time I eat will probably be eggs tomorrow morning.

How do you hit your calorie requirements eating so little?

This is not every day. This is just 3-5 days a month. The days surrounding them are healthy and home cooked meals. Even if it's one big meal at the end of the day. My calorie goal on those days is 1680. It's cool, I've been maintaining for 2 years now and could stand to lose another 20 or so slowly.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    18-20 hrs. Feeding time is between 12 pm and either 4 or 6 pm.

This is my favorite split.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't fast. I just don't eat food while I'm sleeping.

I should alert the dictionary folks to change the name of breakfast, huh? :p
    THIS!
    +1

Well, I don't eat after 10pm and I eat breakfast at 5am, so I fast for 7 hours, give or take.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Eh...9 to 11 hours I guess. Nothing by design. I just usually have my last evening snack around 9 or 10pm and eat breakfast somewhere from 6:30 to 8:30 simply because that's how my schedule rolls.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Pretty sure most of these aren't considered "fasts". I usually eat dinner or a post workout snack between 6-8pm and eat breakfast between 6-8am. So really 10-12 hours of not eating. But then I'm sleeping about 8 of those. Pretty sure that is normal and not considered fasting. During the day I eat every 3 hours.

People just don't think about night fasting as fasting, but sure it's fasting, even if you are asleep. It's not a play on words ("break fast"). Hell, 5:2 is considered fasting, eating 500 calories on "fast days" is not a fast.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't fast... I sleep.

But about 12-14 hours I guess.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I don't fast. I just don't eat food while I'm sleeping.

+1

I mean, I'm sure I WOULD eat food while sleeping if I could. I've not yet learned how to master this skill.

You can make it happen if you really want to. My bf went through a period where he'd wake up with oreo crumbles all over him. He body willed him towards food at night. :wink:
    that sounds really awful actually.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my last bit of food around nine or nine-thirty and drink a half a cup of milk before working out in the morning.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Depends. Typically around 15-16 hours. I'm not an IF'er, but my schedule and hunger seems to follow a 16:8 schedule. I'm usually done eating for the day around 6-7pm, I "break" fast with coffee only, and eat my first meal around 10-11am.
  • TheHumanMachine
    TheHumanMachine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I fasted 24 hours yesterday, doing another 24 today. 8 pm to 8 pm, about 1500 kcals
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    doing 20 hour fast 4 hour feeding window atm
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Usually dead on 11 hours. I eat my treat right around 8:45 (so done at 9pm) and eat breakfast when I get to work at 8am.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 20-24 hours daily. So either one huge meal a day, or eat all my calories within four hours.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    10 or 11 hours
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Propably about 12-14 hours. I don't like to eat my dinner too late and I work out in the morning, so my breakfast isn't that early.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack at around 11pm, and don't eat again until between 12:30 and 1pm the next day. I just find I do a lot better the more I delay breakfast. The days I've had to eat breakfast early I spend the day hungry.
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I normally have my last 'treat'/evening snack (tea and a little biscuit or sweet) around 9-10pm, and I try to have breakfast somewhere between 9-10am, so that's 12-13 hours-ish. Works quite well for me.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    generally 12-13 hours
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Pretty sure most of these aren't considered "fasts". I usually eat dinner or a post workout snack between 6-8pm and eat breakfast between 6-8am. So really 10-12 hours of not eating. But then I'm sleeping about 8 of those. Pretty sure that is normal and not considered fasting. During the day I eat every 3 hours.

People just don't think about night fasting as fasting, but sure it's fasting, even if you are asleep. It's not a play on words ("break fast"). Hell, 5:2 is considered fasting, eating 500 calories on "fast days" is not a fast.
    Wrong!
    You are taking a very narrow view of fasting. It can also be a restriction and not just eating nothing. 5:2 is a form of intermittent fasting with two heavily restricted days a week.

One definition: An abstinence from food, or a limiting of one's food, especially when voluntary and as a religious observance; fasting.

So 5:2 is a form of intermittent fasting where you limit your food two days a week.
    Lent is a fast.
    Ramadan is a fast.
    Nil by mouth before an operation is a fast.
    And as you say the period between your last meal of the day and first meal next day is a fast.