Buy smaller size for motivation/reward

Options
astrose00
astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
Does anyone do this? If so, what did you buy? When do you expect to wear it? I bought a pair of dress slacks in size 6. I'm currently a size 12. I have them hanging in the closet and dream about the day they will fit. I loved buying them because it was a vote of confidence that I know I will reach my goal. I'm thinking I will be wearing them in the spring... Can't wait!!!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No.
    I celebrate after hitting a milestone by going shopping.
    I personally don't work well with deprivation motivation, which this would be for me (stare at it and can't have it).
    How about getting yourself a shopping gift card to be used when you hit goal?
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i waver on this one.
    sometimes i think buying the smaller size puts too much pressure on myself. and putting pressure on myself never turns out very well and can lead me to a binge which is the opposite of what i want!

but i did have one shirt that i ordered and was too small. but i didnt return and instead made it a goal to get in to. i finally did. but I'm not sure i would do it again.. i dunno.. i know everyone is different on this one.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Hmmm, I guess I might be a "want what I can't have" person!!! Lol, I also have some blazers I bought last year that were deeply discounted. As in 4 dollars. I couldn't pass them up. I knew I'd get myself together eventually and be glad I had them. A few of them fit and there's one hanging up that is oh-so-tight. I know when I am able to button it I will be looking smashing. Guess I'm just weird, lol!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bet you will look smashing, too!
  • astrose00
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I bet you will look smashing, too!

I hope so. And btw, I do plan on going on a mad shopping spree when I reach my goal. Right now I have a number associated with it but it's really a look; lean, fit and strong.

I realize this post demonstrates my competiveness (sometimes a good thing, other times not so much...). The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it. I'm gonna have to do some self-reflection about this...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I would hesitate to do that in case once it fits it could be out of style or I don't like it any more.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I try very hard, no matter what happens to my weight, only to have clothes in my closet that fit me and make me happy.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I try very hard, no matter what happens to my weight, only to have clothes in my closet that fit me and make me happy.

This is how I feel. Different things motivate different people, after I had my son I told myself that I would keep my pre pregnancy clothes around as motivation. I wanted to cry every time I would try something on that didn't fit yet. I bagged them up and said goodbye, now I get my high from grabbing a lower size at the store and trying it on in the dressing room, once in a while it fits really well and I am a happy girl :)
  • astrose00
    Options
    Wow, you guys are really making me rethink this!!! I don't mind pressure (in fact, it drives me) but I think maybe it's about being happy where I am at the time... I'm still keeping the pants, lol, but maybe I not thinking about this the right way. I was thinking this was a positive motivator but maybe it's more symbolic of me not recognizing my current accomplishments and being a perfectionist. I love how I do self-therapy in the midst of a message board.

Thanks for the input!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i used to think "pressure" worked for me too. i now know better =)
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Well, other people are motivated by different things. If it's only a size down or something, it might be okay as a motivator. But I sure wouldn't get something a LOT smaller that is discouragingly far in the future.

• astrose00
    Options
    I was in a clothing store with my sister over the weekend. She's also losing weight. She picked up an XXL (I actually thought it was too big) and I criticized her for buying a size she currently wears because I thought it was saying that she had a defeatist attitude. I said "you know you will be smaller so why not buy the smaller size?". She said because it fits right now. I'll have to go tell her I was wrong! Yikes...
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    If one does not have unlimited money (I don't) and wants to extend the life of clothing, buying things that are a princess seam can be great, because they're MUCH easier to take in.

I'm actually going to be spending some time tomorrow taking in at least the waist on some pants that are now getting a bit loose after my 15-odd lb weight loss.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Wow, you guys are really making me rethink this!!! I don't mind pressure (in fact, it drives me) but I think maybe it's about being happy where I am at the time... I'm still keeping the pants, lol, but maybe I not thinking about this the right way. I was thinking this was a positive motivator but maybe it's more symbolic of me not recognizing my current accomplishments and being a perfectionist. I love how I do self-therapy in the midst of a message board.

Thanks for the input!

I suppose we did kinda kill your buzz, sorry about that :) but your self therapy session was very entertaining to read, I think it's important to keep focused on your goals, but, if you don't acknowledge how far you've come you might end up like a horse with a dangling carrot.
  • astrose00
    Options
    If one does not have unlimited money (I don't) and wants to extend the life of clothing, buying things that are a princess seam can be great, because they're MUCH easier to take in.

I'm actually going to be spending some time tomorrow taking in at least the waist on some pants that are now getting a bit loose after my 15-odd lb weight loss.

Congrats! What is a princess seam? I bought two really nice warm coats last year which are now too big. I'm happy I'm getting fitter but wow what a waste of money. I plan on losing a total of 80lbs + (already lost 35lbs of that) so I doubt I can still wear them much longer without looking ridiculous. I will donate them but would love to be able to take them in. I have long arms so I would sometime get an XL (even though I was not fat) and that would have to work. I wonder if there is a way to take a coat in?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my stuff at thrift stores, so I will buy as I need it and if I happen to find something cute that is smaller I will grab it and tuck it away. It's nice to have a few things on hand for awkward moments like the other day when I put a pair of my jeans on and by the end of the day I was constantly having to pull them up. Those are going to be donated back to the thrift store, and I can pull out the size 12 jeans that I got that were a tad too snug when I purchased them. When I reach my goal I will buy some brand new stuff as a reward, but I doubt I'll go crazy because I just can't validate spending the money.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    A princess seam is when you have a somewhat fitted garment with seams going right over the boobs, instead of getting its shape from darts or from being made from a knit fabric that drapes well over curves. Those seams are great places to take in an outfit when it is too large.

AS far as your coats are concerned, it depends on what kind of coats you have. A fabric one, say made of wool and lined with some sort of satiny material? Yeah, you can take them in a bit. Something more high tech, like a coat you'd get for wet weather that you'd buy at L.L. Bean for skiiing or something, not so much (Dammit. I have a GREAT and expensive coat that I am not going to be able to wear next year because it's going to be too big.)

Though even with a wool coat, I'd strongly encourage you to talk to someone who sews REALLY well (if not professionally) before you did anything to it. A tailor could handle it, surely. (Though, as with any personal service, the good stuff ain't cheap)
  • astrose00
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »

Thanks for the input!

I suppose we did kinda kill your buzz, sorry about that :) but your self therapy session was very entertaining to read, I think it's important to keep focused on your goals, but, if you don't acknowledge how far you've come you might end up like a horse with a dangling carrot.

lol@ you lol@ my entertaining self-therapy session...

I'm generally receptive to constructive comments so I will definitely take a look at my philosophy and adjust. I want this to be my last weight loss journey so I am humble enough to take sound advice or tips if that will help me be successful. That's why I scour these message board to try to learn from others successes and mistakes. Of course i have to sift through lots of garbage but I usually learn something new everyday... Thanks again.
  • astrose00
    Options
    A princess seam is when you have a somewhat fitted garment with seams going right over the boobs, instead of getting its shape from darts or from being made from a knit fabric that drapes well over curves. Those seams are great places to take in an outfit when it is too large.

AS far as your coats are concerned, it depends on what kind of coats you have. A fabric one, say made of wool and lined with some sort of satiny material? Yeah, you can take them in a bit. Something more high tech, like a coat you'd get for wet weather that you'd buy at L.L. Bean for skiiing or something, not so much (Dammit. I have a GREAT and expensive coat that I am not going to be able to wear next year because it's going to be too big.)

Though even with a wool coat, I'd strongly encourage you to talk to someone who sews REALLY well (if not professionally) before you did anything to it. A tailor could handle it, surely. (Though, as with any personal service, the good stuff ain't cheap)

My mom was a seamstress (clearly she didn't teach me anything!) but I doubt she is willing dust off her sewing machine for me. She'd probably just go out and buy me a new coat, lol. Yes, my coats are of the nylon with (hopefully, fake) down feathers. I guess I will donate them to someone. I know they will be put to good use. Plus they have some smoking hot winter coats out now that are more fitted and flattering.

Thanks for the explanation!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a very, very slow route with my weight loss. I want it to be sustainable and realistic and I want it to last forever. For me, this plan has worked beautifully. It's taken me almost 3 years to lose 90 pounds and I still have about 30 to go, but my life has changed dramatically and I feel fantastic. That being said, I buy things that fit me right now because I don't want to wait however long it's going to take me to get there and I don't want a closet full of out-dated clothes. I also am proud of how far I've come already and want to show it off in clothes that look pretty and make me feel good. Also, since I have never in my adult life been at a healthy weight, I don't know what that clothing size will be when I get there.

However, if I see a screamin' deal and I love the piece of clothing but it's a size or two too small, I do buy it and store it in my closet for when I do get to a place where it fits. I won't go more than a size or two down though.