100 pounds down!

Options
25 TO GO!

As a bit of a back story, I am 47. I am 6' 8". I have bi-lateral club feet and had 30+ surgeries growing up. It was harder for me to do things, but, I still did them (played baseball, basketball, etc.). At the start of this journey, I weighed in at 350 pounds.

The cathartic moment for me was when I was on a trip with my family to Disney World in March of this year. By the third day of the eight day trip, I could barely walk to the bus to go to the parks. Because of the pain in my feet, and the burden I had placed on my family, I was in tears. There were a couple of times, that I just went back to the hotel rather than impact their enjoyment of the parks. When I was in the parks, I had to rent a scooter to get around because I just couldn't do it. It was on the first day with the scooter that I decided when I got home, I was no longer going to live like this. I couldn't do it to my family and I couldn't do it to myself.

I downloaded MyFitnessPal for my phone, and set my goal weight. It told me how many calories I could have every day, and with the exception of 3 days, I have NOT gone over that number. The best thing that I did, and I believe what has made me successful, was that I didn't go whole hog in changing every aspect of my diet. I didn't give up the foods I love. I had learned from previous attempts at dieting that doing that set me up for failure. I would binge eat after a period of time all those foods that I had been denying myself.

So here I was, armed with the tools to work with. But, the biggest battle that lay before me was the one waging in my mind. It was my commitment. It was one thing to say that I was going to change my habits, but sooooo much harder to actually do it.

I also started to look for more opportunities to be active. For a couple of reasons. One, it was good for me to be active and two, if I was doing something, I was NOT eating anything. Sometimes it was swimming, working in the yard, cleaning the house, etc. After I lost 50, I joined the local LA Fitness and started riding the recumbent bike. Then, I started weight lifting and Pilates classes. Now, I am running on a treadmill. Yup, me, the guy who 9 months ago was winded walking to the car did 4.5 miles on the treadmill last night. Now, not all of it is running (I do still have the foot issues which will never go away), but, I can run about half of it.

It feels awesome!

I haven't used my cane in 6 months to walk. My BMI went from 39 to 27. I have lost almost 28% of my weight. My waist went from 48 to 38, chest 56 to 46.

I have attached my before and after pictures for you.

I hesitate to say if I can do it, anybody can, because I do know how hard of a battle this is. But, if you have the commitment, you can find a way (barring any physiology that prevents this). I won't ever go back. I realize that I will probably need to log my intake for the rest of my life. I am ok with that (apparently I am no good on my own).

I hope this helps you on your journey. Keep fighting the fights. We may lose battles, but, winning the war is the prize!

Peace!7pok1iixomza.png

Replies

• JoshuaTreeLily
    JoshuaTreeLily Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are a champion. Great work. I'm so happy for your newly found freedom. Fantastic.
  • mbareon
    mbareon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I love success stories like this, where lives are literally changed! Awesome accomplishments.

55835802.png
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You are a champion. Great work. I'm so happy for your newly found freedom. Fantastic.

This ^^^^

Thank you for sharing your story.
  • geisha_runner
    geisha_runner Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A-mazing!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow, wow, and wow!!! This made me tear up. You are just awesome =) Thank you for sharing your story and congrats to you and even your family on your success!! You get your health, self confidence, and pride and they get their father and husband for years to come. You rock!!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Awesome job....

I like when you say: "I hesitate to say if I can do it, anybody can, because I do know how hard of a battle this is. But, if you have the commitment, you can find a way...won't ever go back..."

Ditto on this end. It is strange after so many failures...MFP has gotten me to a point where I don't even think of going back...
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! Thank you.

• mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That's is awesome your family must be proud
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Sir, you are an inspiration and a champion in my book! Congrats on your success, im still working on the mental aspect but your story really resonates.
  • cexley67
    cexley67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Like I wrote, I feel great! It has been worth the struggle. Wish I would have done this years ago. ..... had to wait until my head was there.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!! So inspiring.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    sarah00b wrote: »
    Wow, wow, and wow!!! This made me tear up. You are just awesome =) Thank you for sharing your story and congrats to you and even your family on your success!! You get your health, self confidence, and pride and they get their father and husband for years to come. You rock!!

everything she said, just fantastic

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Huge congrats on your milestone and success.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Congrats too you! You look great!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You look great. I'm so happy for you :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Wooo, looking great!!!!! Well done, 100lbs is a huge achievement.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! Love that grin! =D
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You look so much younger! Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!