Good home gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, olympic plates, dumbell handles for olympic plates, bench, floor mat. That's the basics.

what is there that you typically do that can't be done with this, just curious why everyone seems to call this 'the basics' when that's about all I use, for weight training.

maybe you'd want to put bumper plates in there, but you could still do whatever exercise without the bumper plates... in fact, they are probably only really necessary if you don't have a decent mat and you drop the weight or otherwise refuse/fail to perform the negative portion

IMO, those plus a way to dips and pull-ups is the minimum required for full body, free weight lifting.

Extras (IMO) include an adjustable bench (in addition to or replacing a flat bench), an EZ bar, a trap bar, gymnastics rings, and one of those belts for weighted dips/pull-ups.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    You need safety bars so you can squat and bench press inside the cage. I don't think this has safety bars.

I suppose $250 is a pretty good deal, but you won't be able to barbell squat or bench safely to failure in it.

oh your right, its not really a power cage, more like a fancy bench cable station. still seems like a deal but for me it would lose almost all its value since its not a power rack.

however, you could use the smith machine for safety and use a spotter otherwise.... it's still a good deal and a viable option.

if it was me, I'd shell out for Rouge equipment.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Power rack, barbell, olympic plates, dumbell handles for olympic plates, bench, floor mat. That's the basics.

what is there that you typically do that can't be done with this, just curious why everyone seems to call this 'the basics' when that's about all I use, for weight training.

maybe you'd want to put bumper plates in there, but you could still do whatever exercise without the bumper plates... in fact, they are probably only really necessary if you don't have a decent mat and you drop the weight or otherwise refuse/fail to perform the negative portion

IMO, those plus a way to dips and pull-ups is the minimum required for full body, free weight lifting.

Extras (IMO) include an adjustable bench (in addition to or replacing a flat bench), an EZ bar, a trap bar, gymnastics rings, and one of those belts for weighted dips/pull-ups.

I agree you'd want a pull up bar and ideally a way to do dips. An adjustable bench would be basically a must.

I think probably 75% or more of the active weight training community will never use gymnastic rings.... and maybe a significant portion that wont even do dips (eww body weight lol).

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think probably 75% or more of the active weight training community will never use gymnastic rings.... and maybe a significant portion that wont even do dips (eww body weight lol).
    Agreed. That's my list, not what I think the typical person will use or need. Their loss, though. Pushups, dips, rows, etc with rings = win.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    The easiest home setup is your own body. Doesn't cost a cent.

My body is very expensive.
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ^ : P
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Mine isn't for sale.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

whats it going for these days?
  • Killmenext
    Options
    I found a bar, and about 200lb of weights for $40 i am going to pick up after work. I am well on my way, lol.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    I am quite pleased with it, I put it together in my house, and simply left off all the "smith" aspects, lol. So it was basically just a cage / bench , with about 100lbs of weights and other things, for about $150 delivered. I am not mad at all.

XzKVHyU.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Something like this. You might find a decent used one on craigslist. You could even build the cage yourself to save on costs, if you're handy like that.

th?id=HN.608003091300945422&pid=1.7

le-sigh.

YES