Fat Cell Death: Broscience or Science?

Options
The common line of thought is that fat cells shrink, but are never truly eliminated.

However I've read within fitness and weight lifting circles that getting your body fat percentage down to very lean proportions, as in 10% or less for men, and staying there for a couple years actually eventually leads to adipose cell death, and that the major roadblock for the once fat and obese is that very few of us actually achieve very low body fat percentages, and if we do, we rarely maintain it long term. Some have suggested studies exist to back up this notion.

Science or broscience?

Replies

• miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i think basically any cell in your body can die, so logically even fat cells can die. they might be hard to kill off, and it might not be the mechanism that weight lifting circles insist is the cause, but yeah, you hit a fat cell with a direct beam of radiation and that will die (among other ways)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    broscience. fat cells stay, they just shrink. The anorexic who undergo treatment after years of cyclically being underweight at very low body fat regain body fat. Those cells that shrunk refill with adipose tissue once adequate nutrition is provided.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    The common line of thought is that fat cells shrink, but are never truly eliminated.

However I've read within fitness and weight lifting circles that getting your body fat percentage down to very lean proportions, as in 10% or less for men, and staying there for a couple years actually eventually leads to adipose cell death, and that the major roadblock for the once fat and obese is that very few of us actually achieve very low body fat percentages, and if we do, we rarely maintain it long term. Some have suggested studies exist to back up this notion.

Science or broscience?
    Broscience. Like others cells in the body, reproduction/replication is what the body is efficient at.
    If someone is staying at 10% body fat, it's ONLY because they aren't surplusing their calorie needs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    probably the strangest thing i've read about (fat cells wise) is that if you get liposuction and they lipo out the fat cells in some area, when you eat the same amount of fat (or any energy you end up storing) as before rather than it spreading more evenly i your body, you end up getting all the fat in certain areas.

that's what happens when you lose fat cells. the ones you still have just get fatter than they would have when you had a higher number of cells.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    miketoryan wrote: »
    probably the strangest thing i've read about (fat cells wise) is that if you get liposuction and they lipo out the fat cells in some area, when you eat the same amount of fat (or any energy you end up storing) as before rather than it spreading more evenly i your body, you end up getting all the fat in certain areas.

that's what happens when you lose fat cells. the ones you still have just get fatter than they would have when you had a higher number of cells.
    Not the same as "dying". Removal of cells by surgery is just that. Also, exceeding body fat consistently encourages the body to generate new fat cells.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2008/05/and-fat-goes

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Also, the body's fat cells have an unlimited capacity for storing fat - especially the cells of the abdomen, as we've seen in recent years.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Just what I thought.

But appreciate the responses.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Speaking from an evolutionary standpoint, I can't see that that would be compatible with life.

I mean, if our cavemen ancestors didn't eat for days and days, they'd be pretty lean. But the minute food came long, they'd gorge to fill up those fat cells for future days of scarcity.

Those fat cells are like a bank account. It may be empty for a long time, but it's still there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Speaking from an evolutionary standpoint, I can't see that that would be compatible with life.

I mean, if our cavemen ancestors didn't eat for days and days, they'd be pretty lean. But the minute food came long, they'd gorge to fill up those fat cells for future days of scarcity.

Those fat cells are like a bank account. It may be empty for a long time, but it's still there.
    Correct. Unfortunately unlike a bank account, fat cells don't like to give up what they've accumulated. Trying to empty them out takes way more effort than filling them up. I wish same were true with bank accounts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

That's because I wasn't clear in my OP.

The debate isn't about the fat cells you'd normally have if you'd never become obese.

It's about the additional fat cells created to accommodate expanding obesity. Those are the ones opined that could be experience cellular death, in the event that the body recognized that they were utterly redundant in the face of long term leanness. A sort of clean slate, if I'd never been fat deal. At least that's the view I've seen discussed and debated.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There is evidence they die and are replaced.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/health/research/05fat.html
    Every year, whether you are fat or thin, whether you lose weight or gain, 10 percent of your fat cells die. And every year, those cells that die are replaced with new fat cells, researchers in Sweden reported Sunday.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I remember seeing information that over a long period of time (we're talking a decade or more here), you would gradually see a decrease in fat cells that are no longer needed due to natural cell death and turnover within the body. However, the studies I just found through a quick Google search seems to indicate the opposite; they are replaced at the same rate they die and the amount does not change.

I'll see if I can track down that old information.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    There is evidence they die and are replaced.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/health/research/05fat.html
    Every year, whether you are fat or thin, whether you lose weight or gain, 10 percent of your fat cells die. And every year, those cells that die are replaced with new fat cells, researchers in Sweden reported Sunday.

Every cell dies and is replaced. Why would fat cells be different?
    Ask the Swedes who spent the time and money researching it.

Not every cell type dies and is replaced. Females are born with the only egg cells they'll ever have. I think nerve cells don't get replaced.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    they just go home
    tumblr_inline_mtbc0u8dgO1qhap1n.gif
    tumblr_mwdivsqSon1shc5jbo3_250.gif

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    they just go home
    tumblr_inline_mtbc0u8dgO1qhap1n.gif
    tumblr_mwdivsqSon1shc5jbo3_250.gif

Cutest fat cells ever

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    If you believe that the more overweight you've been, the more fat cells your body has created and the more your body will try to replenish those now smaller cells, it matters a lot. But I feel like a body is going to store it in a new cell or an old one, and to me it's all the same-- more fat. I'm more concerned with avoiding visceral fat than how many cells it's in.