Fat Cell Death: Broscience or Science?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you believe that the more overweight you've been, the more fat cells your body has created and the more your body will try to replenish those now smaller cells, it matters a lot. But I feel like a body is going to store it in a new cell or an old one, and to me it's all the same-- more fat. I'm more concerned with avoiding visceral fat than how many cells it's in.
    Was that directed at anyone in specific?
    Not really. I guess Iwishyouwell and you and others seem to suggest fat cell death would be a good thing, which made me wonder if it'd even matter. Maybe your number of cells does affect your propensity to regain, I don't know. It seems like we have a propensity to gain and especially regain no matter what.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you believe that the more overweight you've been, the more fat cells your body has created and the more your body will try to replenish those now smaller cells, it matters a lot. But I feel like a body is going to store it in a new cell or an old one, and to me it's all the same-- more fat. I'm more concerned with avoiding visceral fat than how many cells it's in.
    Not really. I guess Iwishyouwell and you and others seem to suggest fat cell death would be a good thing, which made me wonder if it'd even matter. Maybe your number of cells does affect your propensity to regain, I don't know. It seems like we have a propensity to gain and especially regain no matter what.

I suppose if theories about leptin resistance in obese persons has merit, the amount of fat cells would prove vitally important to the chances of successful long term weight loss maintenance.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    del
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I'm not sure what this new approach people seem to be taking by saying someone said something they never said. I never said fat cell death would be a good thing.

I've made 4 posts in this thread and reading them over there is absolutely no way you could think I believe that.
    I misinterpreted your use of "sorry, they don't die" and "unfortunately", and your reason for interest. Why are you interested if they do or don't die, if them dying isn't a good thing?

• Iwishyouwell
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

I suppose if theories about leptin resistance in obese persons has merit, the amount of fat cells would prove vitally important to the chances of successful long term weight loss maintenance.

*sigh*

So it'll be liposuction on the NHS as well as gastric bands. Great.

Of course, it's not as simple as that, and I doubt leptin levels will be significantly different enough to cause a difference in losing fat and maintaining weight. But, hey: it's another excuse for the terminally weak of will I suppose.

Wait, does the NHS currently cover gastric bands?

The work being done surrounding leptin, ghrelin, and associated hunger and satiety related hormones is all pointing toward pharmaceuticals that can be marketed toward the overweight and obese.

And sadly I do think the only chance at a significant reduction in obesity lies with a pill. Because expecting lasting behavioral changes for the majority seems to be a continual lost cause. I'm not pessimistic on most things, but with this I am. *sigh*
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I guess fat cells are the only cells in our body that are invincible, huh? :p
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

But only if more fat cells means more leptin resistance, right? It may well, I'm just thinking aloud. But if the role of leptin is for the fat cells to signal the brain, "Stop eating, we're full!", do more cells speak more loudly than fewer, fuller cells?

I guess it makes sense that more cells probably means more leptin and more resistance to it. But more leptin would also mean more signal to the brain, which might be a desirable outcome for those who have trouble feeling full?

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

*sigh*

So it'll be liposuction on the NHS as well as gastric bands. Great.

Of course, it's not as simple as that, and I doubt leptin levels will be significantly different enough to cause a difference in losing fat and maintaining weight. But, hey: it's another excuse for the terminally weak of will I suppose.

Wait, does the NHS currently cover gastric bands?

The work being done surrounding leptin, ghrelin, and associated hunger and satiety related hormones is all pointing toward pharmaceuticals that can be marketed toward the overweight and obese.

And sadly I do think the only chance at a significant reduction in obesity lies with a pill. Because expecting lasting behavioral changes for the majority seems to be a continual lost cause. I'm not pessimistic on most things, but with this I am. *sigh*

Hey, speaking of fat loss pills, don't forget the Harvard group working to convert white fat to brown fat.

We're going to ignore the fact that if you take the two compounds they've found to be successful for an extended period of time you're likely to become immune compromised.

I can't see any way that this could go horribly wrong.
  • Iwishyouwell
    edited December 2014
    Options
    But more leptin would also mean more signal to the brain, which might be a desirable outcome for those who have trouble feeling full?

Which makes me wonder if the point will be to chemically assist with the receptors in order to take advantage of the higher leptin in overweight people.

Though that still doesn't deal with the non-hunger related eating component. I wonder how many people are largely overweight not because hunger drives them to overeat, but because they simply eat for many reasons, almost none of them having to do with true hunger.

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Read these boards daily and you'll find a multitude of reasons for overeating, if they have the "woe is me" attitude they will not change their eating habits for more than a week or two.

There's always something to blame for being overweight.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    keefmac wrote: »
    Read these boards daily and you'll find a multitude of reasons for overeating, if they have the "woe is me" attitude they will not change their eating habits for more than a week or two.

There's always something to blame for being overweight.

Well yes.

Which begs the question as whether even a truly effective weight loss drug would make a major dent in the obesity epidemic considering that overconsumption is tied to a lot more factors than just physiological hunger.

Look at how when things get into actual science you don't have endless drones popping in.

Yep

crickets.gif
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did quick PubMed search and found some studies on mice that show adipose apoptosis can happen. There is current (2014) research on it but seems to be complicated and as of yet not fully understood...At any rate i'm going to try sticking with calorie deficit to lose and fingers crossed that some of those fat cells die! Ben Greenfield had a lady on one of his podcasts who talked about it too but I think she said most of the time we have too much inflamation for it to happen? idk
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Also, the body's fat cells have an unlimited capacity for storing fat - especially the cells of the abdomen, as we've seen in recent years.
    Amazing. The body is just incredible.

Combine that with liposuction where the remaining cells fill out to compensate for the removed cells, and you can end up with a really strange body shape.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Also, the body's fat cells have an unlimited capacity for storing fat - especially the cells of the abdomen, as we've seen in recent years.
    Amazing. The body is just incredible.

Combine that with liposuction where the remaining cells fill out to compensate for the removed cells, and you can end up with a really strange body shape.

The body is amazing but certainly does have limits. If it was a little better adapted to our current nutritional environment it would probably have pathways to greatly limit or even completely shut down new fat storage. Of course, our heritage is one of surviving through food scarcity and famines so we really haven't had any reason to limit energy storage.

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It looks like there's a potential method developed in Israel - just waiting for research dollars.

http://www.tasmc.org.il/sites/en/Research/Tech-Transfer/Pages/technologies-pharma.aspx#p4
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Can I just pop in and say I keep reading Adipose and I'm thinking doctor who LOL

SNF05TVBIZ1_464343a.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I've done a ton of reading on cell hypertrophy, hyperplasia and death. I've not seen any evidence that fat cells die off.

I agree.