What are you having to eat for christmas?

Options
We've decided to have a roast duck this year, with roast veggies and crispy potatoes. I'm mostly looking forward to trying heston blumenthal pudding with custard.

Then we going to do it all again at both my relatives. The biggest danger is cheese and biscuits which will be on offer at my in-laws before lunch is served. So I've decided to take some veggie sticks and hummus along instead.

What's on your menu?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Prawn cocktails for starters, then roast turkey with stuffing and gravy, baked ham, potato salad, roasted pumpkin, feta and baby spinach salad, some other salad we haven't decided yet, home baked bread rolls and mince pies and chocolates for dessert :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Either a Celebration Roast, or a Harvest loaf, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, sweet potato casserole, Brussels sprouts, broccoli. Fresh bread and figgy pudding! Along with assorted cookies and other treats.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    We do Christmas a little differently here - it's the middle of Summer :smile:

Lunch is generally cold cut meats (ham, turkey, chicken, sometimes prawns) + salad and something cold for dessert, generally a pavlova & ice cream. It's often too hot to eat too much.

Dinner is a bbq (Aussie bbq are different to American bbq - normally just meat cooked on the hot plate, could be steak, sausages, chicken, fish, whatever we fancy), salads and again a cold dessert.

Beer, cider and other cold drinks flow freely throughout the day :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We're doing a ham this year. I usually do a prime rib, but with the cost of beef going through the roof and the number of people I have coming over, it's just not going to work.

Not sure about sides yet...probably my mom's chipotle roasted sweet potatoes...I'll probably make some candied carrots and I'm thinking about a mushroom risotto as well. My sister will probably bring some roasted brussels sprouts and my wife's parents will bring the plum pudding and brandy butter.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We are gonna do a prime rib, a turkey, and ham. For sides we are gonna have macaroni & cheese, sweet potato casserole... not sure what else yet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roast duck is fabulous.

My guess is rack of lamb, although my personal choice would be prime rib. With it, mashed potatoes, Brussels, fancy green bean (green beans with mushrooms and dill, my personal choice in lieu of green bean casserole), and some kind of dessert, depending on what my family votes for. I'm always pro pie, but last year they went with pumpkin cheesecake.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple traditional turkey dinner. We accidentally cooked one upside down one year, and it was so juicy and delicious, we've had turkey for dinner at Xmas ever since.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Cooking a ham on the bone (about 1000x better than those pre-cut hams), mashed taters, carrot and turnip mash, my homemade sage stuffing (kid's begged), green beans or brussel sprouts (sauteed with bacon probably). Also likely do a cheese/sausage/cracker tray and a veggie tray with ranch as nibbles for the afternoon. Maybe deviled eggs if I feel motivated (I may have to work Christmas eve, my "seasonal part time" job has ramped up to 40hrs next week, so it wouldn't shock me).

Breakfast is always cinnamon rolls and fruit salad.
  • mightygirlruns
    Options
    This is the first year we are staying home. Just me, my husband and our two kids. No more spending the whole day in the car driving to and from the in-laws. Yay!
    My husband is the cook in our house. He's thinking prime rib.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve:
    Kimchee fried rice
    Bulgogi
    Honey soy salmon
    Steamed dumplings
    Veggie pancakes
    Egg nog
    Cherry cordials
    Christmas cookies
    Wine

Christmas Day:
    Turkey
    Roast beef
    Stuffing
    Sweet potatoes
    Veggies
    Meringue cake
    Chocolates
    Pecan pie
    Wine

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Smoked brisket
    Cheesecakes
    Baklava
    Brown sugar sweet potatos
    Chips dips
    Tray of veggie
    Smoked sausage
    Crab legs
    Shrimp cocktail
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    starter:
    brie and cranberry parcels

main:
    turkey
    stuffing
    pigs in blankets
    roast potatoes
    mashed potatoes
    brussel sprouts
    carrots
    parsnips
    sweet potato
    gravy

dessert:
    christmas pudding and cream
    cheese board and crackers
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ham, roasted veggies, probably some mashed potatoes, and a chestnut cream Yule log (going to attempt one for the first time).
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm just looking forward to cream horns and the ham. I just want the meat and sweets!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    About 10 or so various salads (salad olivier, crab salad, chicken salad, cheese and garlic salad, fish layered salad..etc), 4 or so cakes and cake-like stuff (mousse cake, yule log.. etc), mashed potatoes, stuffed grape leaves and zucchini, turkey, and other odds and ends. in addition to drinks.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My mum and I have sweet French toast for breakfast; my dad and brothers have egg and bacon baguettes. Then Prosecco and shedloads of chocolate. Then Christmas dinner is about 4pm and this year for the first time we're having goose, with the usual roast potatoes, meat stuffing, Yorkshire puddings, red cabbage, broccoli, roast carrots and parsnips, and pigs in blankets. Pudding is either Christmas pud with custard or chocolate orange cheesecake (or both, if you're me).
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Christmas eve dinner is a beef tenderloin, Christmas day I believe my mother-in-law is making ham.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Turkey or chicken legs, rice, a spinach dish, brownies.

I'm not sure if we will have that Christmas eve or day. We are pretty much just having regular meals either day not giant feasts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Christmas Day is usually a roast of some kind, on Boxing Day we go to my Aunt’s for traditional Polish food . BUT Christmas Eve is my favourite meal of the entire year no doubt... we go to my mom's and have an Italian seafood feast, I am already getting excited just thinking about it!

Apps:
    -Cold crab and pea salad
    -Deviled eggs
    -Shrimp cocktail
    -Cheese and mushroom puff pastries
    -Crispelli (Italian fried dough)
    -Assorted hard cheeses and olives

Mains:
    -Spaghetti in tuna sauce
    -Zuppa di Pesce (seafood stew with monkfish, shrimp, mussels, squid, crab, and lobster) served with fresh bread
    -Sautéed rapini
    -Roasted red peppers
    -Arugula and romaine salad
    -Fennel salad
    -Lots of vino

Dessert:
    -Roasted chestnuts
    -Cake, cookies, tarts, chocolate
    -Espresso
    -Grappa, port and Fernet
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Meat fondue. We call it "Chinese fondue" here. It's basically a pot of hot soup, and you stick thin slices of meat into it with a long fork, cook it and eat it. There's various sauces on the side too. Those are the calorie bombs.