What are you having to eat for christmas?

Replies

• thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    ALL THE MEAT!!!!!!!!!!
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    turkey, gammon and all the trimmings... and i intend to hit the cheese, biscuits and red wine hard! intending to go for a xmas morning run to minimise some of the damage, but other than that its full steam ahead on eating whatever i want! woohoo
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Lasagna Christmas Eve (one of the only traditions my family has) and Ham, Scalloped Potatoes and Asparagus for Christmas. I'm lucky to have a family that doesn't make a big deal out of baking and making massive dinners. So no pies, cookies, etc. I'm in charge of the menu so I can make things "healthier" without people knowing.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    We do finger type foods with my mother-in-law's. I think her husband is smoking wings and ribs (yum!) There will be a veggie platter, chips, and various other munchies. I'm thinking I'll make this awesome cranberry salsa I had at a recent Christmas coffee along with my usual sweets.

My family is doing a late Christmas this year on the weekend after new years. We haven't planned specifics yet, but we frequently do brunch.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Christmas dinner must be low carb for us. Standing rib roast and sides will be a cheesy baked broccoli and spaghetti squash, roasted brussel sprouts and mashed cauliflower with mushroom gravy.

I'm still trying to find a low carb dessert that actually tastes like dessert. So far no luck, but tonight I have 3 new recipes to try. <fingers crossed>
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I'm out for Christmas DInner so it's 6 courses!
    Duck parfait with sultana bread
    Champagne sorbet
    Mushroom and goat's cheese wellington
    Creme brulee
    Cheese and biscuits
    Coffee and mince pie (though I hate mince pies)

I'm gonna be sick!

Hold a tick.

What is duck parfait?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Lasagna Christmas Eve (one of the only traditions my family has) and Ham, Scalloped Potatoes and Asparagus for Christmas. I'm lucky to have a family that doesn't make a big deal out of baking and making massive dinners. So no pies, cookies, etc. I'm in charge of the menu so I can make things "healthier" without people knowing.

But, but, but... that's the best part!
  • WinoGelato
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Seriously though, no idea about Xmas eve or Xmas dinner yet, but Xmas Morning will have glorious Monkeybread... and that's all I need/want.

I do monkeybread on Christmas morning too. It is my favorite part of the day, digging into that goodness while watching the kids open their presents... I will drink a mimosa for you. ;)

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Christmas Eve my husband and I are taking my mom out for a late lunch/early dinner at our favorite Asian buffet, it is about 50X nicer than most (beautiful restaurant and huge selection of truly good food, some Japanese & Korean style as well as Chinese)...so I'll have Mongolian BBQ, sushi, and other yummy stuff.

That night we won't really eat dinner...probably a veggie tray with cheese & crackers and my mom's wonderful PB fudge.

Christmas Day I have no earthly idea what is on the menu. Probably turkey and crap. We usually go to my stepsister's house and everyone brings various dishes I don't like. My husband and I just eat a bit of the food and whatever we brought (usually something like sesame green beans and deviled eggs).
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    edited December 2014
    Spiral-Sliced Honey ham for some, Sauerbraten and Spaetzle for others (yummmmm)....various sides that I have no idea about at the moment, plenty of cookies/fudge/buckeyes, there will be some sort of cheese laying around to munch (brie, good sharp cheddar, or some sort of smoked cheese)...and lots of good beer - store bought and home brewed...and also home brewed hard cider as well.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Prime rib with home made horse radish sauce. The Horse Radish is probably the BEST part of the entire meal. And some mashed taters and salad probably.
  • WinoGelato
    Prime rib with home made horse radish sauce. The Horse Radish is probably the BEST part of the entire meal. And some mashed taters and salad probably.

How do you make the horseradish sauce? I love that stuff so much, but have never made it from scratch...

• Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Christmas Day:
    steak and lobster
    oven roasted potatoes
    some sort of green beans
    some sort of sweet

Yeah we are boring.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,723 Member
    We always go out for Chinese food on Christmas Eve before our Christmas Eve church service. It's one thing I look forward to every year. The food is so good and there is so much!

Christmas morning we have a brunch that consists of an egg bake, (last year we had quiche) cinnamon rolls, biscuits and gravy, and fruit smoothies. This year my daughter has requested hash browns and I think we're going to either do waffles or lemon ricotta pancakes. Yum!

Not sure about Christmas dinner. We may just find some leftovers or a restaurant that's open. Either way, I'm not cooking. :smile:
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    blueakama wrote: »
    I'm mostly looking forward to trying heston blumenthal pudding with custard.

The hidden orange one? We've had that for the last couple of years and it is lovely.

Yep that's the one.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2014
    Baked ham, macaroni and cheese casserole, roasted Brussels sprouts, Hawaiian sweet dinner rolls, and not sure about dessert yet. I'm going to make a separate mac and cheese for myself, using skim milk and low fat cheese. No one will notice since we dish up buffet style. I know I could have the regular dish, but I also know my own limits of self control. Homemade mac and cheese is one of my favorite high calorie foods. So, I just avoid them all together.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Hope everyone's Christmas day goes well.

Post photos here if you want. Prize goes to who has the most food on their plate. Only kidding. :)
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    edited December 2014
    Christmas Eve: Surf and Turf with NY strip and Crab Legs, mashed red potatoes and asparagus on side

Christmas Day: Ham, creamy scalloped potatoes, green beans almondine, home made rolls...

Also a crap ton of wine and prosecco...
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    I'll be making:

Roasted turkey breasts
    Glazed ham
    Giblet stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Turkey gravy
    Zucchini and squash
    Homemade dinner rolls
    Deviled eggs
    Sweet potato and pecan crunch, w. Cool Whip
    Cherry cheesecake pies
    Pumpkin pie
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Roast duck -- sounds absolutely heavenly!

We're doing:

Carrot ginger soup
    Roast leg of lamb
    French white beans (flageolets)
    Green beans
    Wild rice with sauteed mushrooms
    Strawberry trifle

The meals on either side of this will be of the clear-broth-and-a-single-saltine variety.

Merry Christmas, everybody!