Walking the weight off

Options
BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
Hi all, hope you are all fit & well?
I have been walking a lot this week. I downloaded an app called runkeeper & it has really motivated me to get moving. I have walked over 8 miles this week. Im feeling a little fitter.
How about you guys? what has motivated you to get moving?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    my fitbit got me walking a lot - I found it really motivating to aim to get those 10K steps in daily - the dog loved it too

I still wear it every single day and it synchs into MFP so I get the calories and the activity

my trainer also motivates me hugely even though every second I'm with him I seem to be swearing .. I really enjoy it

results are also motivating - strength, obvious musculature, smaller pants
  • lynnkrohn
    lynnkrohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Walker,
    I have been a walker for about 10 years and I started with just a mile. This was as soon as I quit smoking. Walking has become for me one of my best pleasures. I find it so relaxing and it is an important part of my routine, I now walk 5 miles a day. Like anything this becomes a habit you won't be able to live without.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I have a fitbit, I just cant get mine to sync with mfp. I need someone with a techno brain to look at what im doing wrong. Your right motivating - smaller pants :)
    5 miles a day is fantastic - im inspired :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    to synch your fitbit

go to apps section of MFP and click on fitbit

then
    - make sure your settings on MFP are sedentary and you have enabled negative calories
    - make sure your timezones are the same on MFP and fitbit app
    - make sure your goals of weight loss are the same on MFP and fitbit app

Hope that helps
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you I will give it ago x
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed walking, and it was how I started exercising when I was too unfit / embarrassed to go to the gym / classes.

If you're ever unable to get out and about to walk, look up Leslie Sansone on YouTube - she really helped get me started.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love walking, it's my very favorite exercise and to me it is never boring. I will be doing this for the rest of my life.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    One of the things I have found is that I have more energy after I've been for a walk. Its invigorating
    otter090812 - thanks for the u tube info - I will look it up
    -
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I make sure I walk a bit more in daily life every day. It burns useful calories and is one of the best ways to start off exercise. I keep this up but have now moved to the gym as well. Its less inviting when the weather is poor.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I found that walking is the source for me. I've been walking every day for the past six months. As a result of moving more and tracking my calories, I've lost 37 pounds. My walking has now evolved into jogging/running, both on the treadmill and on trails. I'm hooked! For me, it's the be "me time"!
  • fluffernubber
    fluffernubber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Walking and some weightlifting have been my methods for awhile now- what got me going initially? Just buying a pedometer. I saw one at the store for like, four dollars, and seeing how far I've gone and how many steps I've taken just motivates me to keep going. It helps me unwind, too!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Sounds like walking is definitely the way forward
    Some positive results :)
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    I've got two main walking motivations: my Basis Peak (similar to a Fitbit) and my dog. I had a Fitbit for years but lost my One and then lost my Flex and didn't have one for a long while. I just got the Basis Peak to remotivate myself. I've also had a dog for the past year and just moved to a very walker-friendly area so I take him out two or three times a day for a nice, long walk. I have a couple of "habits" set up on the Peak to encourage that. I'm lucky I live in a warm climate now so I can walk year 'round.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Wanting to be stronger motivates me to move. Wanting more calories to eat also sometimes motivates me to move, LOL.
  • summer92008
    Options
    I absolutely love walking. What makes me motivated to get out and do it is mainly a stress reliever. It seems like as soon as I walk out the door, my stress melts away, I feel more positive about everything in my life, I feel more alive breathing in the fresh air, and I feel better about myself and my body image in general. I just love it. I can walk/jog around 3-5 miles a day. In the warmer months I was doing this practically every single day. Now that it is colder (25-35 degree days on average), plus my dad's illness, I can only walk 2-3 days a week. But I still look forward to it and enjoy it.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Summer92008: u r so right, walking is a stress reliever, walking clears your thinking.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    LamMcM: having a dog & living in a nice area, with good weather. Perfect for walking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm a big fan of walking. I aim for a minimum of 10,000 steps a day (i'm at 14,687 steps or 6.53 miles so far today). Sometimes I run, sometimes I walk to work and back. Sometimes I walk at noon... And yes, it's VERY good for stress.
    Keep it up.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Sabine: I've been walking to work & I've gone 10.7 miles ( I'm proud of that) I try & walk at noon. It's often difficult.
    Do u have a short or long journey to work?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sabine: I've been walking to work & I've gone 10.7 miles ( I'm proud of that) I try & walk at noon. It's often difficult.
    Do u have a short or long journey to work?

My walk to work is about 4,500 steps each way (30-35 min each way)
    How it usually plays out:
    M/W/F I run 3-5 miles (7,000+ steps?) in the morning, so then I ride to work, and get the rest of my steps in throughout the day
    T/TH I usually walk (4,500 steps) to work and home (4,500), and while I'm going about my day.
    Sa/Su hubs and I usually walk.

In addition: hubs and I walk before work once or twice a week (on non run days).
    And I walk or ride to most of my social activities (which are near my work)

And Pilates 2-3 times a week, and some weights.

I always get 10,000 on weekdays. Once in a while I won't on a saturday or sunday if I'm needing a rest.