Walking the weight off

Options
2»

Replies

• RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of my favorite things to do!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed walking, and it was how I started exercising when I was too unfit / embarrassed to go to the gym / classes.

If you're ever unable to get out and about to walk, look up Leslie Sansone on YouTube - she really helped get me started.

I've used her from the beginning (6mo ago. Started sedentary and obese.) She is perfect for rainy days or days you are tired of the treadmill. I have about 5 different videos of hers and I still pull them out if I want to workout but I'm not feeling like something high impact. You can add arm movements where there are none, use heavier weights, even add jogging in place: all to make it grow with you in intensity as you progress.

Movement is so great for both mind and body. I'm really missing my long walks since the weather has turned.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hike on woodland trails at my archery club. That is usually good for around 14-15 miles a week. When the weather is decent I'll walk to work and home. That gets me an extra 2-3 miles depending on the route I take. I miss the days I don't get to hike.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I haven't acquired that love for walking but I do it. I just did 45 minutes @ an average of 4.18 mph/runkeeper. 63 pounds gone and maintaining. I plan to keep walking. Maybe someday I'll start "loving" it! :)
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sabine: I've been walking to work & I've gone 10.7 miles ( I'm proud of that) I try & walk at noon. It's often difficult.
    Do u have a short or long journey to work?

My walk to work is about 4,500 steps each way (30-35 min each way)
    How it usually plays out:
    M/W/F I run 3-5 miles (7,000+ steps?) in the morning, so then I ride to work, and get the rest of my steps in throughout the day
    T/TH I usually walk (4,500 steps) to work and home (4,500), and while I'm going about my day.
    Sa/Su hubs and I usually walk.

In addition: hubs and I walk before work once or twice a week (on non run days).
    And I walk or ride to most of my social activities (which are near my work)

And Pilates 2-3 times a week, and some weights.

I always get 10,000 on weekdays. Once in a while I won't on a saturday or sunday if I'm needing a rest.

Wow!! U r a machine :). I'm jaw droppinly impressed. U have a similar journey to me 30-35 mins. I'm using run keeper to keep track. My average pace is 16.30 mins. I'm working on reducing that number. My hubby & I somtimes walk into town & we power walk their & back. It's something we both enjoy.
    Here's to walking
  • BBee5064
    Options
    I hike on woodland trails at my archery club. That is usually good for around 14-15 miles a week. When the weather is decent I'll walk to work and home. That gets me an extra 2-3 miles depending on the route I take. I miss the days I don't get to hike.

Sounds like a beautiful walk. I live in the City so it's buildings all the way
  • BBee5064
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I haven't acquired that love for walking but I do it. I just did 45 minutes @ an average of 4.18 mph/runkeeper. 63 pounds gone and maintaining. I plan to keep walking. Maybe someday I'll start "loving" it! :)

Congratulations on a great weight loss. That's a fantastic pace.
    I'm hoping. To get yo that one day :)
  • BBee5064
    Options
    RHPS84 wrote: »
    Walking is one of my favorite things to do!

Ditto :)
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I hit the treadmill at my gym. I set the incline to 5% and pop in episodes of West Wing. Before I know it, I've burned 700 calories (and learned a little about how government should function).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sabine: I've been walking to work & I've gone 10.7 miles ( I'm proud of that) I try & walk at noon. It's often difficult.
    Do u have a short or long journey to work?

My walk to work is about 4,500 steps each way (30-35 min each way)
    How it usually plays out:
    M/W/F I run 3-5 miles (7,000+ steps?) in the morning, so then I ride to work, and get the rest of my steps in throughout the day
    T/TH I usually walk (4,500 steps) to work and home (4,500), and while I'm going about my day.
    Sa/Su hubs and I usually walk.

In addition: hubs and I walk before work once or twice a week (on non run days).
    And I walk or ride to most of my social activities (which are near my work)

And Pilates 2-3 times a week, and some weights.

I always get 10,000 on weekdays. Once in a while I won't on a saturday or sunday if I'm needing a rest.

Wow!! U r a machine :). I'm jaw droppinly impressed. U have a similar journey to me 30-35 mins. I'm using run keeper to keep track. My average pace is 16.30 mins. I'm working on reducing that number. My hubby & I somtimes walk into town & we power walk their & back. It's something we both enjoy.
    Here's to walking

Fabulous!! Fitbit was great fun for me. So motivating.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking you might enjoy http://www.walking4fun.com/my-walk/. You can log in and choose a virtual trail to walk. You log your distance every time you walk and it will show you pictures of what you would have seen if you had been walking the trail you chose. It is a neat way to see different places and I found it motivating. I was excited to do a lot of hiking this past summer just so I could finish the trail, which was 140.7 miles!
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A counsellor recommended hiking and I thought I would try it even though I have a heel spur. Sure sometimes my foot gets sore but mostly I have improved endurance and fitness and last night the sunset was so beautiful I was so glad I was out enjoying the trail! We saw a group of deer too! I needed something to replace my warm weather cycling and hiking fits the bill. I figured the walking would keep the Christmas calories at bay too, and it has.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Fitbit. Tredmill watching west wing( I like that programme, walking the dog, country walk. Whatever gets us all moving more has got to be a good thing. Hope u have all had a great Saturday :)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking you might enjoy http://www.walking4fun.com/my-walk/. You can log in and choose a virtual trail to walk. You log your distance every time you walk and it will show you pictures of what you would have seen if you had been walking the trail you chose. It is a neat way to see different places and I found it motivating. I was excited to do a lot of hiking this past summer just so I could finish the trail, which was 140.7 miles!

Thank you for that link, I have signed up and started on a trail. Bonus: it syncs with my fitbit automatically!
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! Especially the automatically syncing part:)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When I started walking this last time I was in bad shape and could hardly get out of a car without help. Due to stability issues when walking on a trail I moved to the paved county road down a steep hill to the state highway that is an 1/8 mile walk one way or 1/4 mile round trip. It took a lot of stops to make it back up the steep hill at first so the dog had time to chase deer, rabbit, etc.:) Most days now I can power walk 1/2 mile (two laps) but I do at least one lap regardless of when I get home.

What I love about walking is if one is mobile at all you can start walking even if it is 10 feet at first. Earlier in the year I was back up to 250 again and then got down to 230 just by not eating late at night and not pigging out at the many dinners like at church and other places mainly by leaving of desert and not drinking sugar water drinks. Then I got down to 220 so as the pounds go down walking is easier and my legs are much stronger and thinner.

Walking out in the open and any time I wish is great. Not real big on gyms and the funky smelling locker rooms. :) Besides walking is most anyone needs to do to get into better shape and is very doable. This time around I am only eating and working out in a manner I can do it the rest of my life. In the past I have stopped walking in the winter but this time around I plan to walk if there is not ice on the hill.
  • comingsize12
    comingsize12 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone I just walk with her on youtube. Its a great video
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My motivation: My Fitbit back on July 4th of 2013 (first Flex, then Force, then when Force died, back to my Flex and now Flex & Garmin Vivofit). I use Runkeeper as well. Reason I continue to use Fitbit is the perks (rewards/$$). I walk at least an hour a day sometimes more. Started walking to push the weight loss to and then over the 100 lb mark. Now I walk to maintain my loss/stay at goal weight.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Some inspirational stories here guys & gals. Just proving that the only gym & equipment required is 2 legs & will power. :)