Bread - how to get over it?

Options
Hello you lovely people....
I will start to attack my surplus weight today.
I am 48 and the menopause has hit. Getting old is depressing, but I know there is a glorious older woman in here somewhere.
Trying to analyse my bad habits and bread is one of the major sources of calories for me. I guess I should look at WHY I need it rather than HOW to not need it.
Nobody needs bed things in their life; it tastes good, but it is bad. Rice cakes are more than capable of holding up any foodstuff. So why do I go to the breadbin and look for a comfoting, doughey, squidgy, tasty loaf?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    First of all 48 is not old! You can make bread part of your diet, no need to eliminate it. Just work it in to your calorie allotment.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think that you are allowed to love bread. Bread is lovely. Don´t feel that any foods are bad for you. Too many calories are bad for you. If you allow yourself a Little bread I think you will lead a happier life than if you ban it completely from your diet. How about excercising to up your allowed cals?
    Personally it Works for me to tell myself that any foods are allowed, and that I choose to eat only a Little as long as I´m trying to Loose weight. Forbitten fruit are so tempting, we know ;-) but you have a free will to cut the amount of bread to a level, where you don´t have to do without or pig out on bread ;-) Good luck. You can do this! I know it ;-)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to eliminate bread? For that matter, you can have your cake and eat it too. It is better to eat what you like in moderation than to eat rice cakes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have carb/gluten sensitivity issues or it's starting to mold, bread isn't bad for you. If it's a trigger food for you, I wouldn't buy it, and instead look for lower calorie tortillas/wraps.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question.

You just need to eat foodstuffs in quantities that keep you inside your target calorie amount. The only proviso is to get adequate protein for satiety and lbm retention.

Bread, rice, pasta, etc can form part of a balanced diet that keeps you in a calorie deficit and makes life worth living...
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Bread? I love bread! In fact, I'm making some tonight!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do not demonise food. If you love it then keep on having it, but moderate and get it o fit into your plan. That said I used to eat a lot of bread, but now I have a calorie traget to aim for I eat much less of it because its quite calorie dense compared to how filling it is. If you are going to eatit then go for wholegrain versions.

As malibu said if its a trigger food, then go for other versions. Ryebread, crispbreads etc
  • simply33
    simply33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ok ok ok lol!!!! I get it .... buy a roll at a time, stay away from olive and walnut bread and go easy on myself. Tnx guys :)
  • jmunn1129
    jmunn1129 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second what they said. Only eliminate if you have a disease or if it's a trigger food. For me I can't have it because I have a disease that gluten makes worse, but if I can find a good gluten free bread, it's game on!
  • simply33
    Options
    trigger food ... new expression for me ... I can see I am on a steep learning curve!
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You've got three choices:

1. Fit bread into a 1400 calories diet that includes a variety of other foods.
    2. Fit bread into a 1400 calorie diet that is mostly bread and some other foods.
    3. Eliminate bread from your diet completely.

If you choose #2, embrace it. Bread is delicious.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    because it's delicious and comforting. I don't eat bread anymore. it has too many carbs for me..but I have a medical condition.

if you can fit it into your calorie allotment and want to eat it, eat it. if you would rather use those calories for something else, don't eat it. if you can't seem to eat only a little and are going over your calories because of it..don't eat it either until you get a better handle on portion control.

i am all or nothing with carbs. once I start eating them..candy bars especially..i want more and more. it's better for me to just stay away. far away. not even a taste. but, most people aren't as messed up and can control themselves so they get to enjoy in moderation.

best of luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If you see you are eating more bread than all other foods and not getting enough nutrients then I would say work on replacing some of your bread with things like vegetables and protein not rice cakes. You don't have to eliminate bread entirely. Bread isn't bad. It is just the amount you are eating.
    Btw, a rice cake won't do much for you nutritionally so maybe you want to look at it more carefully before deciding to replace bread with rice cakes. blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/the-truth-about-rice-cakes/
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    For me , bread is a bit of a treat now. I dont find it very filling and at 120-140 calories a sclice then a 2 slice sandwich is a calorie investment. Every week I throw most of a loaf away, which is a shame.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i get sara lee 45 calorie bread.. its good and i can have a little more because of the low cals.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I read a book by Jared, the Subway Guy. He said he was able to stick with his 2 sandwiches a day diet because it allowed him 18" of bread a day, which he loved to eat, and still be in a calorie deficit.
  • simply33
    Options
    I love all these comments and help...

• jrobley
    Options
    I have had to take gluten out of my diet because of a sensitivity to it. I didn't think I could give it up however now that I have I don't miss it. I look at it as not what I have taken out but what I have gained. For breakfast I usually have a crustless quiche, omelette, chia seed pudding, greek yogurt, etc. These are usually over flowing with fruits and veggies. For lunch I normally have a salad, left overs or soups (if need thickened it is with corn starch or tapioca flour) and for dinner meat with veggies. I have noticed that my vit A and C are usually around the 200% for the day plus I get the antioxidents and other good stuff that comes with it!