Bread - how to get over it?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I could never give it up. Work it into your macros.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    i get sara lee 45 calorie bread.. its good and i can have a little more because of the low cals.

+1. I have this all the time. In fact, Nature's Harvest has a 40-calorie per slice bread and they taste similar. You can even have one slice of regular bread if you prefer the taste to low calorie bread. I don't like rice cakes so I'd rather not have anything at all. I think the key with anything is moderation. I know I can't do candy in moderation so I have to avoid for good (and that's okay). If bread is like that for you and you have an easier time saying no vs. just eating less, find something else that you can fill the carb/starch void with. Some people say you shouldn't eliminate any food but we are all adults and since we're on this website we probably know ourselves well enough to know when something may cause us to sabotage our goals. If you want to stop eating bread because it's "bad" then I don't think that's correct. Bread is great and healthy, in my opinion. But if it's just wrong FOR YOU then skip it.

Welcome to MFP and good luck!
  • astrose00
    Options
    because it's delicious and comforting. I don't eat bread anymore. it has too many carbs for me..but I have a medical condition.

if you can fit it into your calorie allotment and want to eat it, eat it. if you would rather use those calories for something else, don't eat it. if you can't seem to eat only a little and are going over your calories because of it..don't eat it either until you get a better handle on portion control.

i am all or nothing with carbs. once I start eating them..candy bars especially..i want more and more. it's better for me to just stay away. far away. not even a taste. but, most people aren't as messed up and can control themselves so they get to enjoy in moderation.

best of luck!

I'm the same way with candy. I turn into the candy version of the cookie monster and binge like a lunatic. I've probably had my last taste of candy in my lifetime because I have no self control when it comes to that. I don't think this will ever change. And even when I have binged, it's not like it's that great but I won't stop eating it. I am really good with NO but awful with "I'll just have a few". I have size and body composition goals that will be sabotaged by empty calories so I am find with avoiding candy. I need the protein and the complex carb for lasting energy. A 600 calorie bag of nothing isn't going to do jack for my strength training or cardiovascular fitness goals.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I can see bread being a problem. Some of us don't get a lot of calories for weight loss. Bread is high calorie and not filling. For the calories in two slices of bread or a roll, I'd rather have something with more fiber and protein, or even fat, that would leave me fuller, longer.

Do I avoid it completely? No. But during weight loss, a daily sandwich isn't on my wish list. And forget heading to the bread bin for snacks. A slice of pizza now and then- yes.
  • engagedprincess
    engagedprincess Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, bread is a binge trigger for a lot of people. I had to completely remove it from my house to stop myself from eating loaves at a time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    i get sara lee 45 calorie bread.. its good and i can have a little more because of the low cals.

Other than the fact that it's got a TON of unnecessary ingredients, this isn't a bad idea if bread is't a trigger food for you OP.
    As someone who's also going through menopause, I understand where you're coming from.
    I haven't eliminated bread, but I do now get that every meal doesn't need to be built around it. That said, a good sandwich is awesome. We keep 100 calorie sandwich thins (with a very small ingredient list) around, as well as ezekiel tortillas for when I want a good sandwich or wrap.
    This is a reasonable option too:
    http://thomasbreads.com/products/100-whole-wheat-bagel-thins-bagels

Again, this assumes you don't find it hard to control your appetite when you eat bread.
  • astrose00
    Options

Other than the fact that it's got a TON of unnecessary ingredients, this isn't a bad idea if bread is't a trigger food for you OP.
    As someone who's also going through menopause, I understand where you're coming from.
    I haven't eliminated bread, but I do now get that every meal doesn't need to be built around it. That said, a good sandwich is awesome. We keep 100 calorie sandwich thins (with a very small ingredient list) around, as well as ezekiel tortillas for when I want a good sandwich or wrap.
    This is a reasonable option too:
    http://thomasbreads.com/products/100-whole-wheat-bagel-thins-bagels

Again, this assumes you don't find it hard to control your appetite when you eat bread.

I've tried both. Do the sandwich thins have "better" ingredients? I never really paid attention.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bread is good. I just got a bread machine so i can eat more of it!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 too. Stop it! It is an awesome age.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - noting wrong with bread. You can eat it, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight. It sounds like you need to analyze what you are eating and then find a way to moderate all of your foods into a 500 per day calorie deficit. I highly doubt that 100% of your diet is bread, or even 75% of it is bread….

If you break it down you would probably have some bread in the morning, some with lunch for sandwich, and maybe some with dinner or a carb like rice, vegetables, etc…

oh, and get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Unless you have celiac disease or a wheat allergy, whole wheat bread is healthier to eat than a rice cake. I have a wheat allergy, so I eat either Udi Whole Grain bread made from rice, or Paleo bread made from almonds, or german 100% rye bread. So, enjoy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    simply33 wrote: »
    Hello you lovely people....
    I will start to attack my surplus weight today.
    I am 48 and the menopause has hit. Getting old is depressing, but I know there is a glorious older woman in here somewhere.
    Trying to analyse my bad habits and bread is one of the major sources of calories for me. I guess I should look at WHY I need it rather than HOW to not need it.
    Nobody needs bed things in their life; it tastes good, but it is bad. Rice cakes are more than capable of holding up any foodstuff. So why do I go to the breadbin and look for a comfoting, doughey, squidgy, tasty loaf?

I have the occasional sandwich...maybe once per week and I like toast on Sunday with my breakfast. Other than that, I don't eat much in the way of bread...when i do, it's usually either a whole multi-grain variety or sour dough so that at least there's some nutrition involved.

that's not to say bread is inherently "bad"...it isn't...but it tends to be calorie dense and many breads do not offer much in the way of nutritional value, some more than others though.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Raises hand... 53. Nothing wrong with having just about any food. I still love bread, but I don't eat much of it. Weight loss is about the calorie deficit. As long as you fit bread into your calorie count, you can lose weight while still having bread. For instance, I have been having a bagel or banana bread for breakfast every day this week. Therefore, enjoy what you like in moderation.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bread. It's your calorie total you need to watch -- and you are only going to be miserable if you make your cuts in the areas that give you the most pleasure. So, rather than avoiding bread altogether, I would recommend only eating REALLY GOOD BREAD.

Like, buy from an artisan baker, or, better yet, bake your own! Don't waste calories on stupid spongy factory bread, rather include in each day a sensibly sized piece of well-made, delicious, chewy, crusty BREEEEEEAD. Eat it slowly and without distraction. Enjoy every bite. Refuse to feel guilty, you planned for it!

weigh your food and log everything...I bet you'll find a daily treat of deliciously crafted bread can fit in to most days if you're willing to cut elsewhere.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat bread, eat at a deficit. Be happy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    How much bread do you really eat though? Is it every meal? Snacks? I can't see even the highest of calorie breads being a major issue provided you're not overeating it. I'm guessing there's more to this equation than bread.

Exactly. Plus, you have to read the labels on your bread. Some carry a lot of added sugar and sodium. It may not just be the fat and/or calories that cause a dietary problem. Reading labels and comparing is very important to fit bread into your daily goals.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Um. I'm almost 45, just had a hysterectomy, and have lost almost 80 pounds. Guess what? I did it eating bread, and potatoes, and rice, and pasta.

Wait, WHAT? Isn't that going against everything that the universe is telling us???

No, it's not. It's not about denying yourself the foods. It's about learning to eat the right amounts of those foods as well as other healthy ones. It's about finding a balance that works for you. I would look for healthier versions of the foods you like and occasionally allow yourself the less healthy versions as long as it fits into you daily range. Do that and you'll lose weight while eating the foods you love.

Good luck to you! You can do this and live too. ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to say that typing out my previous post made me want bread IN MY MOUTH RIGHT NOW.