If you're going out to eat, where/what would you get?

Options
I realize not everywhere has the same places but I can kind of find similar alternatives if necessary. Trying to eat better and I've been doing so well at home but going out is my issue. Any ideas/advice are much appreciated!

Replies

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite healthy/decent calorie meals is at Panera. Half Mediterranean veggie sandwich with a cup of broccoli cheddar soup and an apple. Delish!
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Qdoba forever :smile:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Local mexican restaurant, local pizza place,red robin,taco time,taco johns, krispy kreme,cheesecake factory,toucanos,fuddruckers,local sushi place....
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I usually go for sushi, then over there I have soup, some meat items and a few pieces of sushi with no fempura in them.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Gee. .. where don't I go to eat? What don't I order? I go out to enjoy the time out and the food with no worries or freaking out. If you're really worried about the big portions, whatever you order, eat half - take the other half in a to go box. Simple, no stress. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    There's this little french place I like, because I finally found a chef whose french training is far better than mine.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Our vegan options are pretty limited here. It's either Mellow Mushroom or our Chinese restaurant. I'm not confident that other restaurants will adhere to our restrictions.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Chipotle. You can order to suit your needs.

Want less carbs? Ditch the tortilla, get a bowl. Want less fat? Ditch the sour cream. Etc etc
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they have Boston Pizza where you are but if they do try the steak & veggie dinner, comes with salad 410 calories
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Going out to eat at a nice restaurant is very rare in my household. I think of it as a major treat, so when I go out I eat anything I want. Strangely though, my appetite isn't what it once was. I still don't end up eating as much as I used to. Also, I don't ever order a drink (unless it is a cocktail) with my meal. That saves a lot of calories that don't really give me much extra pleasure anyway.

For fast food, I mostly stick with Subway and get the turkey. That's about the healthiest fast food I've found that I really like. If not Subway, I'll do Wendy's and get the grilled chicken. I rarely get fries; they are crazy high in calories. McDonalds is a total bust. If I eat there, I just bite the bullet and enjoy the zillion calories.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There is a Thai place down the street from me that I love, it's usually my first choice unless my husband is sick of it. I usually go for Vietnamese, bar-b-q, Indian, Greek, somewhere that makes things I can't be bothered to cook for myself. I love when food is well-seasoned, sometimes the food I make at home is bland and it's nice to get away from that.

Like others have said, I usually take half my food home for a different meal or share it while I'm there.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I usually look at the menus online ahead of time and get an idea of what's available within the caloric range I have to work with. I will often place my order and ask for a box at the same time. When the food comes I immediately put 1/2 in the box. That way I can still enjoy the yummy stuff without going over my daily goals. When I get home I'll weigh and measure the remaining half so I can accurately log what I ate. And I get the added bonus of having the yumminess the next day for lunch too!

Another thing that drives my husband nuts (but I don't care) is I often ask for the sauces, cheeses, and toppings on the side. That way I can control how much I actually eat.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking I will avoid Applebees like the plague - massive salt and fat content - however they have a new-ish lower cal menu which is ok. I've tried the chicken and avacado dish they have and the Sirloin and Whole Grains. Both are nice.

If I'm picking, I'm choosing this place: http://www.joefish.net/#!menu-dinner/cmbp

Their under 500 calorie menu is incredible.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I go wherever sounds good and I can make fit into my day. Yesterday I got the Chicken Caesar Salad at Buffalo Wild Wings, which satisfied me better than an order of boneless wings and potato wedges (my old go-to) would have.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada we have Swiss Chalet. Great Healthy Chicken (eat skinless) with lots of protein and not too much sodium. Only restaurant I will go to on a weight training day
  • johbro
    johbro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We don't have many restaurants in our town. Tonight, we have decided to go out too.
    Probably will be Applebee's, they have an under 600 cal menu. I've tried it once, small portions and not too bad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I generally only eat out at local establishments. It's also a rarity, so I don't fuss too much about it though I do try to keep my nutrition in mind.

Keep in mind that "healthy" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with calories...and at restaurants, most entrees are going to be anywhere between 800 - 1200 calories depending, even if it's a "healthy" dish. Restaurant serving sizes are generally 2x or more what would typically be the "recommended" serving...not to mention they do use full fat everything and lots of oils and whatnot...not inherently a bad thing, just calorie dense.

Example, one of my favorite local joints has this incredible Ahi Tuna Asian Salad...it is packed full of awesome nutrition...but it still clocks in at around 800 calories if you only use half of the dressing they provide on the side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Next on my list is Seasons 52 as one just opened here, but otherwise, it really depends on what I'm in the mood for. The only places I avoid are Perkings and Bob Evans. Most places have decent options for less than 700 calories.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I ring ahead and speak to the manager and agree a bespoke dish and price. Most places don't mind so long as you are realistic as to what they can buy in, already have in stock and can reasonably prepare.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree with Swiss Chalet.

We're trying to cut back our spending so our favourite fast food places are Subway and Wendy's. Of the fast-food options, I think Wendy's has the best salads.