If you're going out to eat, where/what would you get?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    I ring ahead and speak to the manager and agree a bespoke dish and price. Most places don't mind so long as you are realistic as to what they can buy in, already have in stock and can reasonably prepare.

That's what I do for special nights.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree that AppleBees can be a little salty. Ruby Tuesdays worked well for me a few months ago. I got the main meat dish and hit the salad bar. It also allowed me to eat a biscuit and half a dessert.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My favorite places where I live are: Panera Bread (not so much these days since I've gone Gluten Free), any pizza place with gluten-free pizza, Mooyah Burger (awesome turkey burgers on lettuce wrap), LePeep, Zoe's Kitchen, salad bars, including Jason's deli (though I hate salads when its cold out, so its a summer/spring thing), California Pizza Kitchen, chinese food, Furr's, Golden Corral, and various non-chain places
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS check restaurant nutrition online before going and pre-select a few different main items, so I know what I am ordering without making it a big deal. If that information is not available – I don’t go to that restaurant. Most major chains have this information readily available. Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays etc. and others have Weight Watcher type recommends.

I did run into a situation with one restaurant recently…I have a gift card from my daughter. They said they didn’t have info to provide. I found one of their Mexican restaurants in another state that listed calories etc. Their Chimichanga w/ chicken had 1850 calories and 4960 mg sodium! That doesn’t count the chips on the table, drinks, sides, desert etc. Someone could easily hit 4000 calories in one meal.

73641431.png
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I just check the menu ahead of time if I'm attempting to stay within calorie goals. If not, I eat whatever I feel like eating and just attempt to eat in moderation.
  • Aiko831
    Options
    It would depend.... What time of day it is, and where am going...

During lunch time-
    I would opt for something that is balanced between protein and carbs.
    Sandwich on whole wheat- no mayo.
    veggie pizza

Usually opt for a salad (light on the dressing- or no dressing at all)
    - Chicken breast with veggies (no mashed potatoes!!!!)
    - Salmon, or tilapia with veggies (again, no starch carbs)
    -protein burger ( no bun) def no fries and no soda!!!!!

I like Applebee's because they have good options for people like me..
    guess it depends on your diet.. I don't like starchy carbs at night, and def
    no refined sugars!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesdays: salmon with zuchini and spaghetti squash, Wendy's: cashew chicken salad, subway: roast beef on 9 grain., taco delmar: beef tacos,. McDonald's sausage egg mcmuffin.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere I want. I guesstimate calories as best I can and make sure to buffer my guesses. I eat smaller amounts and leave over plenty on my plate (or take half of it home). And I just enjoy it.

In general, some cuisines will be lower-calorie than others. Italian is very calorie-dense, for example. Vietnamese and Korean have good options at lower calories. Tapas can be a good option too since you get smaller portions and can just order fewer of them.

But you don't have to deprive yourself of your favourite foods to lose weight. Eat what you like; just eat less of it.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I mostly eat at home; easier to control calories.
    wtf-japan-gif-ice-cream-mean.gif
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah but eating mostly at home is also kinda boring.

I figure, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. I know I can't control everything in life, and that's okay, because it's much more fun to just exist in the chaos sometimes. So, OP, eat in restaurants if you like sometimes. Just learn critical skills like eyeballing portions, choosing healthier items off menus, or stopping to eat when you're full.

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out much at all, but I do have a deep love for Taco Bell. 3 crunchy tacos is only 510 calories!
  • dgm82
    dgm82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Seconding taco bell. Fresco crunchy tacos are the best!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I go out to eat rarely but last night I did......chicken wings and beer.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love, love, love Chikfila! When I go I us ally get their chicken sandwich and a side salad with ranch. Sometimes I'll have their delicious waffle fries.
    I also love Frisch's. When we visit home I make sure to eat there once. Their ranch is so good, but not the bottled stuff they sell. Just doesn't taste the same.