What happens if you don't eat much fruit and vegetables?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd be miserable. Filling up on veggies (I rarely eat fruit) is what prevents me from being hungry most days. I can't even think of anything else that is as filling for the calories.

I see... I only eat carrots but it's not taste satisfying.

Well honestly I don't absolutely love veggies either, but it's better than being hungry or fat, lol. But roasted veggies and mashed cauliflowers are delicious.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You know how much a can of V8 represents in term of like servings?

It's one serving, possibly two, but not more than that. I detest vegetables too, but I force and trick myself. Try adding mixed vegs (canned if you must) to tomato sauce. Use tri-color pasta. I think it's one or two veg. servings/pasta serving. Use your vegged-up pasta sauce with that. Make mixed veg soup. The main reason I don't like vegs is because they are just not tasty. But give me mixed Chinese vegs., garlicked-up green beans or broccoli, and I'll eat it til it comes out my ears.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I heard your boobs might fall off if you do not eat them, I hope that's not true.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thorbjornn wrote: »
    You know how much a can of V8 represents in term of like servings?

It's one serving, possibly two, but not more than that. I detest vegetables too, but I force and trick myself. Try adding mixed vegs (canned if you must) to tomato sauce. Use tri-color pasta. I think it's one or two veg. servings/pasta serving. Use your vegged-up pasta sauce with that. Make mixed veg soup. The main reason I don't like vegs is because they are just not tasty. But give me mixed Chinese vegs., garlicked-up green beans or broccoli, and I'll eat it til it comes out my ears.

Yeah. But I don't eat sauce with my pasta, but I will add vegetables.Actually, I'm going to go buy a bag of frozen veggies right now to put on it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can try and sneak in veggies too... there are website for that (ok... it's for kids, but I'm sure it would work too). Or make food like shepherd's pie (I put peas and carrots in it).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like my veggies over fruit. The proof is often the fruit is left over from my lunch. Hubby is getting after me all the time about that. I think it's a texture thing, too, and that bits get caught in my teeth.

Try melting a little butter or margarine over those veggies, along with some Parmesan cheese.

I got my kids to eat their veggies by introducing them to Ranch Dressing and Cheez Whiz.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The benefits of a high amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet is very long term and difficult to prove empirically. It's impossible to tell you how how eating more vegetables might effect your health 20 years from now. There's enough information out there for me to feel comfortable in saying that I might avoid a health problem or two if I eat them.

I also eat a lot of cookies and ice cream, who knows, in 10 years we might find that we've got this this whole thing backwards

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Two words: Green smoothies!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The benefits of a high amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet is very long term and difficult to prove empirically. It's impossible to tell you how how eating more vegetables might effect your health 20 years from now. There's enough information out there for me to feel comfortable in saying that I might avoid a health problem or two if I eat them.

I also eat a lot of cookies and ice cream, who knows, in 10 years we might find that we've got this this whole thing backwards

We have a winner!!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    potatoes and carrots are vegetables... so I dont see what the problem is. I eat potatoes like, everyday.

My son has sensory issues, and the only "veggie" he can eat is corn. And sometimes french fries.

As for fruit,he drinks a juice blend from capri sun called "super V" with blended sweet potato and added fiber. He will either have a caprisun super V or 6 oz glass of orange juice everyday. He also eats craisins and strawberry fruit leathers, and apples (if the skin is removed).

And for fiber/nutrients- again, he has a sensory disorder on the autism spectrum, so we have some unique challenges. I buy breads/crackers with added fiber, serve popcorn for snack, and he takes a daily multivitamin with iron.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You can probably get all the vitamins, antioxidants, etc. you need from a variety of vegetables, so I doubt you NEED to eat fruit if you are eating enough vegetables. Most vegetables are also lower in calories and sugar than fruit, so that works in your favor.

But if you eat neither fruits nor vegetables, I doubt that is good for you for reasons others have already mentioned.

Btw, if it is just raw fruit you don't like the texture of...you can try baked apples or pears...a very different taste and texture than raw. Or try freezing grapes...again, a very different texture and they taste, IMHO, better frozen.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say: learn to eat like a grown up. Vegetables should be half your plate.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Recent reseach shows that humans do not need carbohydrates at all - we can get all our energy from protein and fat. It all depends on your total nutrient intake. The Inuit did not eat fruit or veggies before European contact. They had no type 2 diabetes, little heart disease, no tooth decay, no scurvy and led happy, healthy lives. The Inuit got their vitamin C from chewing whaleskin. If you want to cut out anything, get rid of the fruit. Fructose is the worst if you are trying to lose weight. Cutting fruit does reduce fibre and this can have long and short term negative effects but fibre is available from other sources. The most fibre dense foods readily available to developed countries are seed-based.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I once read an article about how eating habits in Alaska have changed in the last 100 years or so. One thing that I think is relevant to your question: During winter, Alaskan's used to go 6-8 months without eating any plants. This was, of course, because they didn't have any (except what they could store, which isn't much). Plant-based foods have only been available in Alaska during winter after they started flying in produce from the lower-48. Before that, winter diets were based on what they could hunt and catch. But they did get the micronutrients they need by eating organ meats - i.e. liver, heart, etc. Animal organs are very high in micronutrients.

Might want to try eating liver once in a while (I prefer vegetables, myself).

Wish I could find that article...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Ugh, organ meats and whaleskin. That is an option. I'd be (even) thinner than I am now, because that is friggin' gross.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ugh, organ meats and whaleskin. That is an option. I'd be (even) thinner than I am now, because that is friggin' gross.

Gross enough to grow an appreciate for fruit and vegetables?
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You can probably get all the vitamins, antioxidants, etc. you need from a variety of vegetables, so I doubt you NEED to eat fruit if you are eating enough vegetables. Most vegetables are also lower in calories and sugar than fruit, so that works in your favor.

But if you eat neither fruits nor vegetables, I doubt that is good for you for reasons others have already mentioned.

Btw, if it is just raw fruit you don't like the texture of...you can try baked apples or pears...a very different taste and texture than raw. Or try freezing grapes...again, a very different texture and they taste, IMHO, better frozen.

I see. For fruits,I will try them dry, if I like them on bars dried I should like them dry.
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »

Gross enough to grow an appreciate for fruit and vegetables?

I think I may have found good ways, thanks to all these suggestions, so I will be skipping out on whaleskin and livers :smiley:
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    Recent reseach shows that humans do not need carbohydrates at all - we can get all our energy from protein and fat. It all depends on your total nutrient intake. The Inuit did not eat fruit or veggies before European contact. They had no type 2 diabetes, little heart disease, no tooth decay, no scurvy and led happy, healthy lives. The Inuit got their vitamin C from chewing whaleskin. If you want to cut out anything, get rid of the fruit. Fructose is the worst if you are trying to lose weight. Cutting fruit does reduce fibre and this can have long and short term negative effects but fibre is available from other sources. The most fibre dense foods readily available to developed countries are seed-based.

Where are the studies for this? What is the problem with consuming fructose? I just had a little clementine orange, does that mean I'm going to gain weight with its 26 calories?
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You will die eventually but to slow that process and prevent potential risks for chronic diseases, you need lots of good vitamins and mineral. If you're not getting enough of that through fruits/vegetables, try eating liver instead! :# Otherwise, you can hide vegetables in your cooking, slather on butter to increase the appeal, or you can also talk to your doctor about potentially taking supplements if none of the above.