What happens if you don't eat much fruit and vegetables?

Options

Replies

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We keep huge industrial sized bag of frozen spinach in our freezer and put it in almost every single thing we eat. I think that counts. Try that!
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt youd die if your taking some sort of supp. But your missing out on some important nutrients that you cant get in a pill.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    OP, is this a serious post or are you a troll? I'm not really sure. If it's real, listen to your ma and eat your damn fruits and veggies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    feralX wrote: »
    OP, is this a serious post or are you a troll? I'm not really sure. If it's real, listen to your ma and eat your damn fruits and veggies.

Indeed.
    I stole this from someone else, but it's a good image:
    qzrcjm.gif
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We keep huge industrial sized bag of frozen spinach in our freezer and put it in almost every single thing we eat. I think that counts. Try that!

Yep,just bought a bag of frozen veggies and lunch and diner I will eat 50g each meal.
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options
    feralX wrote: »

Seroious, even though it sounds immature I know, my family wasn't fruit and vegy eater very much so yeah, gotta catch up now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yep,just bought a bag of frozen veggies and lunch and diner I will eat 50g each meal.
    Learn how to prepare them well, or it will be torture.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ugh, organ meats and whaleskin. That is an option. I'd be (even) thinner than I am now, because that is friggin' gross.

There are more disgusting things out there than liver and whaleskin. (Just Google "disgusting delicacies"...)

But yes, when it comes to nutrient density, liver actually blows just about every vegetable out of the water. And yes, if you include the "weird" cuts in your diet at least once in a while, you can live without any deficiencies, purely on meat.
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Deficiencies in fiber and multiple nutrients.

There are people who swear by cutting carbs, others who swear by cutting fat....You know how many sensible people swear by cutting out vegetables? ~crickets~

I know (and know of) many, actually. Some of which swear that an all-meat diet saved their life (in fact, from what I've seen, the more "extreme" people go, such as raw or even rotten meat, the more health issues they had before doing it and found a raw meat diet to solve those issues where everything else had failed).

The only nutrients that are even questionably low in an all-meat diet are vitamins E and C. Vitamin C can be found in numerous organs, and vitamin E can be found in the fat (since it's a fat soluble vitamin), so as long as you're not trying to live off lean muscle meat, you're actually fine.

That said, most people don't eat offal and marrow anymore, and so, don't eat the sources of vitamins that are also found in vegetables. This is where vegetables can come in (and why people think that we need vegetables -- we do if we're only eating the muscle and only small amounts of the fat, and not eating the organs and more of the fat).

And no, you don't need fiber. In fact, it has been shown to exacerbate constipation, instead of relieve it, and a low fiber diet doesn't cause constipation. (And on the topic of gut flora, here's some interesting observations on the specific changes in gut flora based on what is eaten.)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

torture? ok, frozen veggies are tough. Microwave for a few minutes, season a bit or not, then eat.
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options

Yeah, may have undercooked them, like them softer, will make sure I get it right next time haha.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd be miserable. Filling up on veggies (I rarely eat fruit) is what prevents me from being hungry most days. I can't even think of anything else that is as filling for the calories.

I see... I only eat carrots but it's not taste satisfying.

So steam them and slather them in butter. Or dip them in ranch dressing (or other tasty sauce). No one ever said you had to eat them by themselves.

Put avocado on your sandwiches, along with tomato, onion, and lettuce. Put bacon, avocado, and cheese on a salad base of good, green vegetables (at least romaine, don't bother with iceburg lettuce). Toss a handful of spinach or other greens into a blender with some milk, strawberries, and ice, for a great smoothie. Make meatballs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of veggies, either. Like people say, keep trying them and try them different ways.

I'm working my way through veggies. If I hate it, I give up. No preperation of broccoli will ever make me like it. Things I don't really like, though, I can sometimes jazz them up so that they aren't bad.

Though I'd love for everything to be a delight to eat, it just hasn't worked out that way. This is not one of life's major problems. :)

If you skip fruits and veggies, you miss out on nutrients and fiber. You can still lose weight, you'll just risk being less healthy than if you ate them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yeah, may have undercooked them, like them softer, will make sure I get it right next time haha.
    Steamed, stir fried, roasted....lots of great vegetables out there.

• NarwhalofNight
    Options

Yeah, but I want to try to keep them as natural/raw as possible,
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

steaming or roasting does not add anything bad, does not destroy any nutrients and can bring out the flavor as opposed to raw
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

steaming or roasting does not add anything bad, does not destroy any nutrients and can bring out the flavor as opposed to raw

Oh wait, actually I may have miss read what he said...

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

This
  • NarwhalofNight
    Options

This
    Yeah I didn't read it out correctly, I thought stir fry was something else, :stuck_out_tongue:
  • PhoenixGT13
    PhoenixGT13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SOUP is the answer for the veggies. Absolutely try lots of soups and fit some vegs in that way. For fruit -- I love cooked apples and pears, try that, they are yummy with a shake of cinnamon and nutmeg on top.

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I understand where I'm coming from. I grew up in a household that consider french fries to be vegetables (I guess they technically are, but you get what I'm saying). And I hated vegetables (never really crazy about french fries, come to think of it.

I found two things that helped:
    1) Years ago I decided I wanted to eat more vegetables. I found a book of 3-minute vegetarian meals and started trying some. My kitchen-laziness eventually beat that effort, but not before I found some ways that I could tolerate some vegetables.
    2) I went low-carb and learned through trial and error that not eating enough vegetables makes me feel like crap within a few days. That gave me a good motivation to keep trying different vegetables and different ways to eat them.