Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    DonM46 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    They torture them before the kill them? I did not know that.

Depends on your definition of torture. If you were restricted for most or all of your life to such crowded or confined conditions that you couldn't turn around, if you were the product of generations of planned breeding that meant your legs couldn't support your torso to stand if you wanted to, if you were fed a diet so unnatural for you that you needed drugs to deal with how it fouled up your digestive process, or if your living tissue was amputated in an attempt to prevent you from scratching or biting the other people crowded around you, would you feel like you were being tortured?

If that doesn't sound like torture to you, I believe the CIA has an opening for you.
    I can see that PETA's been selling you a load of bullShi+.
    Apparently, you believed it.
    I was an inspector in the industry for 17 years.
    The only confined spaces were in the preparation to load the cattle onto trailers, while IN the trailer en route to a packing house, and the holding pens at their destination.
    Yes, some feed lots are small & smelly, but to date, no one has figured out a way to feed cows without the subsequent elimination of waste.
    Also, it's impractical to have 4.3 cows per acre while the animals are awaiting transit to a packing facility, and the short wait before the cattle reach their 'final' destination.
    On the kill floor, a pneumatic gun drives a metal rod onto a spot between the cow's eyes, but does not penetrate the skull.
    Instant death.
    That's about as humane as you can get.
    I will admit, being an animal lover, I was relieved to see that my wife had prepared chicken for dinner (instead of beef) after my first day on the job.
    And have you seen the conditions in which chickens on Perdue farms live?
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YE9l94b3x9U
    I'm sure there are packing houses that do NOT measure up, just as the chicken farm in the video.
    However, I'm not totally ignorant of THIS industry.
    I have a cousin in NW Arkansas who has made a handsome living as a chicken farmer since the '70s.
    As with cattle, the odor in the climate-controlled enclosure is not Chanel #5, but it's chicken heaven compared to the extreme conditions shown in the youtube video.
    There will be atypical installations in any industry.

Did I say all farms were like this? I was speaking of large, factory farms. That's why I take the time to research where my food comes from. I also said I still eat meat, eggs, and dairy. When a farm refuses to ever let anyone on the property to observe the conditions, that's a red flag.
    These factory farms are not the "atypical" exceptions, but more the rule, at least in the US.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    They torture them before the kill them? I did not know that.

Depends on your definition of torture. If you were restricted for most or all of your life to such crowded or confined conditions that you couldn't turn around, if you were the product of generations of planned breeding that meant your legs couldn't support your torso to stand if you wanted to, if you were fed a diet so unnatural for you that you needed drugs to deal with how it fouled up your digestive process, or if your living tissue was amputated in an attempt to prevent you from scratching or biting the other people crowded around you, would you feel like you were being tortured?

If that doesn't sound like torture to you, I believe the CIA has an opening for you.
    I can see that PETA's been selling you a load of bullShi+.
    Apparently, you believed it.
    I was an inspector in the industry for 17 years.
    The only confined spaces were in the preparation to load the cattle onto trailers, while IN the trailer en route to a packing house, and the holding pens at their destination.
    Yes, some feed lots are small & smelly, but to date, no one has figured out a way to feed cows without the subsequent elimination of waste.
    (And the associated flatulence, which contains copious amounts of methane.)
    Also, it's impractical to have 4.3 cows per acre while the animals are awaiting transit to a packing facility, and the short wait before the cattle reach their 'final' destination.
    On the kill floor, a pneumatic gun drives a metal rod onto a spot between the cow's eyes, but does not penetrate the skull.
    Instant death.
    That's about as humane as you can get.
    I will admit, being an animal lover, I was relieved to see that my wife had prepared chicken for dinner (instead of beef) after my first day on the job.

I was not talking just about cattle. Some of the items I mentioned apply to cattle, some to poultry.

I don't know why you're going off about the smell. That wasn't an issue I mentioned, and even a small farm where animals have plenty of room to move around is going to smell.

I don't get my information from PETA.

Since you're such an expert, perhaps you'd care to explain why animals that live such wonderful lives need a constant stream of antibiotics, if not steroids and hormones, in their feed to stay healthy enough to put on weight and live to slaughter time; why an industry that takes such fine care of its animals' well-being needs to have rules and inspectors to try to keep them from slaughtering and introducing into the food supply "downed" animals that are so sick they can't even make it to the kill floor under their own power; and why an industry that maintains such high standards generally refuses to allow third parties to film their facilities.

Since the USDA meat inspection program is funded by industry fees, you were essentially paid by the industry for your 17+ years as an inspector. I'm sure we all know the warning against biting the hand that feeds you.

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Why the aggression?
    Are you just naturally sarcastic?
    You brought up beef in the original post; beef comes from cattle.
    Your second and third posts are snotty.
    You brought up torture.
    My remark about PETA was to LynnG, not you.
    You introduced poultry farming atrocities. (BTW, I didn't flag the post with the video.)
    The information I posted addressed truth and was an attempt to reduce the ignorance of 'most people'.
    No, I did NOT say that you said 'all farms were like this' nor did I say that all packing houses are near-perfect or even minimally flawed.
    Nor did I imply that since my cousin's chicken farm was near-perfect, that ALL were.
    However, I'm not convinced that conditions in the video are 'the rule' in the US. Do you have personal experience in this area? Made personal observations of the majority of the domestic farms to justify that Perdue is not atypical?
    Yes, I introduced the olfactory topic partly as comic relief, yet you apparently took offense to it.
    I did not claim to be an expert -- that is YOUR label for me. Thank you. I'm no longer in that field but, I certainly had the opportunity to personally observe more beef packing houses that the average person. Most of the issues you mentioned have surfaced since I left the industry (10 yrs ago) and originate with the producers rather than the processors, so I'm relatively uninformed in that regard.
    Finally, I dislike your disguised insinuation that I offered preferential treatment to any.
    Have a nice day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Poor Kobe beef.... /mourn. :sad:
  • fatcity66
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why the aggression?
    Are you just naturally sarcastic?
    You brought up beef in the original post; beef comes from cattle.
    Your second and third posts are snotty.
    You brought up torture.
    My remark about PETA was to LynnG, not you.
    You introduced poultry farming atrocities. (BTW, I didn't flag the post with the video.)
    The information I posted addressed truth and was an attempt to reduce the ignorance of 'most people'.
    No, I did NOT say that you said 'all farms were like this' nor did I say that all packing houses are near-perfect or even minimally flawed.
    Nor did I imply that since my cousin's chicken farm was near-perfect, that ALL were.
    However, I'm not convinced that conditions in the video are 'the rule' in the US. Do you have personal experience in this area? Made personal observations of the majority of the domestic farms to justify that Perdue is not atypical?
    Yes, I introduced the olfactory topic partly as comic relief, yet you apparently took offense to it.
    I did not claim to be an expert -- that is YOUR label for me. Thank you. I'm no longer in that field but, I certainly had the opportunity to personally observe more beef packing houses that the average person. Most of the issues you mentioned have surfaced since I left the industry (10 yrs ago) and originate with the producers rather than the processors, so I'm relatively uninformed in that regard.
    Finally, I dislike your disguised insinuation that I offered preferential treatment to any.
    Have a nice day.

I think you are getting my posts confused with Lynn's, or you are trying to address both of us in one post and it's very confusing. Half of this post doesn't apply to any of my posts, and none of my posts about animal cruelty were aggressive, nor sarcastic. If that's how you saw them, you are projecting. I also never made any response to your smell comment. I also never insinuated that you offered preferential treatment as an inspector, again, that was Lynn.
    Of course, you can believe what you want. I don't really believe I can have a coherent discussion with you after that last post.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Of course, let's not forget the truly obvious. Unless you're in Japan, you're not eating Kobe beef. Japan does not export it. If it says it's Kobe, it's most likely just regular beef with a big markup. Unless it says "kobe-style," but even then, it's just a regular American cow, raised in the style of kobe beef, not an actual wagyu cow.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Of course, let's not forget the truly obvious. Unless you're in Japan, you're not eating Kobe beef. Japan does not export it. If it says it's Kobe, it's most likely just regular beef with a big markup. Unless it says "kobe-style," but even then, it's just a regular American cow, raised in the style of kobe beef, not an actual wagyu cow.

It actually started exporting very small amounts of in in 2012... but most likely what is labeled on the shelf is not actually Kobe beef.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/01/07/the-new-truth-about-kobe-beef-2/
  • fatcity66
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

You are absolutely right. It is American-style Kobe, which actually has a higher fat content than traditional Kobe.