Replies

• LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    holy *kitten* 14lbs in 3 weeks, you are bulking WRONG
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This is my first attempt at bulking. Just curious what others have done in their first months of bulking? 5 lbs? 10 lbs? or more? Wondering what people have had that has worked for them.

*facepalm* Your body can make about 1lbs of muscle per month. MAX. That is assuming you lift heavy-*kitten* weights, eat enough protein, are in calorie surplus, and sleep enough. And also, I shouldn't have to state why making your goal based on weight gain is a bad idea. You should be shooting for STRENGTH gains. Weight is such a terribly useless metric.

Anything else you gain over a 1lb/month is fat. Sorry to debunk the broscience you have heard. Shoot for 500 calories over your BMR. That is it. Make sure you eat back your exercise cals so you hit exactly 500 calories over your BMR. Once you plateau for a week or two, bump the calories up 250 and see if it changes. Stay there until you plateau again. This should take several months before you plateau again.

Don't become another hamplanet "bulker". You are going to gain a bit of fat on a bulk, to the tune of maybe 2-3 lbs a month if you are really maximizing muscle gain. That is all that is necessary though.
  • Brolympus
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Cortelli wrote: »
    This is my first attempt at bulking. Just curious what others have done in their first months of bulking? 5 lbs? 10 lbs? or more? Wondering what people have had that has worked for them.

You're going to put on a chunk right away, especially if you're coming off a cut with a relatively short maintenance period. And then be pissed that despite eating all the food, you're not really adding a lot. Then get to a point (and this is probably 12 weeks out) where your gain looks like perhaps what you'd expected it would be on a weekly average basis (assuming you have pretty good sense of your TDEE before you started the bulk). Shorter version for most (and certainly for me) of the three stages: Gain a crapton; stall out; get to a point where the gains are slower and steady.

Yep.... ^^^ This is my experience too. I know I'm not a dude, so my experience will likely be half of what a guy should expect. But, I'm in the middle of my second bulk. The first time, I bulked for 20 weeks and put on about 11 lbs total. I just finished week 10 of my second bulk and I'm up about 5.5-6 lbs. I know I'm set to stall out here soon, I'll have to up my calories again and then I should hit a pretty steady increase.

Over the last 3 weeks since I started to bulk, I've now gained a full 14 pounds (at least, didn't weigh myself till the 4th day or so into my bulk) which by my best guess would be half muscle and half fat. Biceps have increased 3/4" and chest over a full 1". I assume now will be when it starts to 'stall out' as you have put it.

Bro, if you "stall out" now, you'll be lucky. You're headed toward blimp ville if you keep up that pace!

I love how he thinks he gained 7lbs of muslce in 3 weeks. If it were only that easy BRAH
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »

*facepalm* Your body can make about 1lbs of muscle per month. MAX. That is assuming you lift heavy-*kitten* weights, eat enough protein, are in calorie surplus, and sleep enough. And also, I shouldn't have to state why making your goal based on weight gain is a bad idea. You should be shooting for STRENGTH gains. Weight is such a terribly useless metric.

Anything else you gain over a 1lb/month is fat. Sorry to debunk the broscience you have heard. Shoot for 500 calories over your TDEE. That is it. Make sure you eat back your exercise cals so you hit exactly 500 calories over your TDEE. Once you plateau for a week or two, bump the calories up 250 and see if it changes. Stay there until you plateau again. This should take several months before you plateau again.

Don't become another hamplanet "bulker". You are going to gain a bit of fat on a bulk, to the tune of maybe 2-3 lbs a month if you are really maximizing muscle gain. That is all that is necessary though.

FIFY
  • Brolympus
    Options

Anything else you gain over a 1lb/month is fat. Sorry to debunk the broscience you have heard. Shoot for 500 calories over your TDEE. That is it. Make sure you eat back your exercise cals so you hit exactly 500 calories over your TDEE. Once you plateau for a week or two, bump the calories up 250 and see if it changes. Stay there until you plateau again. This should take several months before you plateau again.

FIFY

Gah yes I meant TDEE, thanks lol
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

FIFY

Gah yes I meant TDEE, thanks lol

I figured ;)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

You're going to put on a chunk right away, especially if you're coming off a cut with a relatively short maintenance period. And then be pissed that despite eating all the food, you're not really adding a lot. Then get to a point (and this is probably 12 weeks out) where your gain looks like perhaps what you'd expected it would be on a weekly average basis (assuming you have pretty good sense of your TDEE before you started the bulk). Shorter version for most (and certainly for me) of the three stages: Gain a crapton; stall out; get to a point where the gains are slower and steady.

Yep.... ^^^ This is my experience too. I know I'm not a dude, so my experience will likely be half of what a guy should expect. But, I'm in the middle of my second bulk. The first time, I bulked for 20 weeks and put on about 11 lbs total. I just finished week 10 of my second bulk and I'm up about 5.5-6 lbs. I know I'm set to stall out here soon, I'll have to up my calories again and then I should hit a pretty steady increase.

Over the last 3 weeks since I started to bulk, I've now gained a full 14 pounds (at least, didn't weigh myself till the 4th day or so into my bulk) which by my best guess would be half muscle and half fat. Biceps have increased 3/4" and chest over a full 1". I assume now will be when it starts to 'stall out' as you have put it.

Normal male is about a half pound of muscle a week. In 3 weeks you've maybe put on 1.5 pounds of muscle (if your diet and training is perfect) and the rest water and fat.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    And also, I shouldn't have to state why making your goal based on weight gain is a bad idea. You should be shooting for STRENGTH gains. Weight is such a terribly useless metric.
    I can't say I totally agree with that. I'm 5'8" 120 pounds. I definitely want strength increases as well, but obviously I'm at a very low weight for height.

Also, in regards to overall lean body mass gain, isn't it more like 2 pounds a month (including water weight) that can be gained for beginners? Meaning, 2 pounds a month not including fat gain should be realistic if training and other factors are optimal?

• Brolympus
    Options
    And also, I shouldn't have to state why making your goal based on weight gain is a bad idea. You should be shooting for STRENGTH gains. Weight is such a terribly useless metric.
    I can't say I totally agree with that. I'm 5'8" 120 pounds. I definitely want strength increases as well, but obviously I'm at a very low weight for height.

Also, in regards to overall lean body mass gain, isn't it more like 2 pounds a month (including water weight) that can be gained for beginners? Meaning, 2 pounds a month not including fat gain should be realistic if training and other factors are optimal?

0.5lbs/week is typcial for newbies, yes, but this period lasts maybe 6 weeks tops. Your body catches on pretty quick and starts to adapt to conserve calories to help you "survive". It is a pretty dangerous idea to base your bulk on 0.5lbs/week gains, which a lot of new lifters seem to do. Even 0.25lbs per week is pretty dangerous (for everybody else), it assumes near-perfect diet and providing correct stimulus for muscle growth.

Yeah 120lbs for a 5'4" person might be low. But packing lots of extra fat on is not going to help your aestethics either (I'm assuming you want to put this weight on because you feel thin currently). Just bulk right from the beginning and never worry about needing to take time off to cut in the future. All good things take time man. Nobody woke up looking like Zyzz after a month of lifting. Omar Isuf has some great videos about correctly bulking, and how he screwed up getting super fat the first time he "bulked". Lots of good info on his YouTube channel if you are interested.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Bro, if you "stall out" now, you'll be lucky. You're headed toward blimp ville if you keep up that pace!

I love how he thinks he gained 7lbs of muslce in 3 weeks. If it were only that easy BRAH

not as good as the guy who put on 14 in 3 weeks... I mean- that's impressive.

• Brolympus
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I was actually quoting that guy. He said he thought half of the weight must be muscle, based on his bicep growth. So much broscience I can't even handle it lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    but brah..... my gains.
  • HawkTheKnight
    HawkTheKnight Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I didn't say 14 lbs muscle in 3 weeks. Based on the replies I am gonna guess alot of it is water then and not half muscle and half fat. So probably more like 2 lbs muscle and the rest half water and half fat?

(And no, I don't read 'broscience', I just looked it up to see what you were talking about lol)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

0.5lbs/week is typcial for newbies, yes, but this period lasts maybe 6 weeks tops. Your body catches on pretty quick and starts to adapt to conserve calories to help you "survive". It is a pretty dangerous idea to base your bulk on 0.5lbs/week gains, which a lot of new lifters seem to do. Even 0.25lbs per week is pretty dangerous (for everybody else), it assumes near-perfect diet and providing correct stimulus for muscle growth.

Yeah 120lbs for a 5'4" person might be low. But packing lots of extra fat on is not going to help your aestethics either (I'm assuming you want to put this weight on because you feel thin currently). Just bulk right from the beginning and never worry about needing to take time off to cut in the future. All good things take time man. Nobody woke up looking like Zyzz after a month of lifting. Omar Isuf has some great videos about correctly bulking, and how he screwed up getting super fat the first time he "bulked". Lots of good info on his YouTube channel if you are interested.

I don't think I agree that the half pound per week is only for a limited time for n00bs. According to Lyle McDonald, the half pound per week figure is average for about the first year of training.